Rechargable, AA, Lithium batts for camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swakoo

Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
I have a pentax optio 230 for out-field uses, and it sucks on 2 AA batts (pretty fast I should say)

I was thinking if there is any rechargable AA lithium avaliable on the market? or if you guys want to let go I am all ears

AA lithium? :dunno:

why don't u try AA NiMH rechargeables?
definitely better than alkalines and cheap too.

Originally posted by Tweek
AA lithium? :dunno:

why don't u try AA NiMH rechargeables?
definitely better than alkalines and cheap too.

i tried.

i have GP batt
but no matter how full it is.. camera always show low batt, or batt depleted...

my dad told me it could be becos rechargable only 1.2, add up only 2.4-2.6V
so camera register not full, prob require 3V.. anyone can verify?

cos I have no problem with alkaline batt

Originally posted by Swakoo
i tried.

i have GP batt

What's the capacity of the GP Batteries? How long ago were they charged? You generally want to use higher capacity ones (>1600mAH) and use freshly charged ones (charges deplete over time). Also, are you sure the batteries are properly charged?

It should not be a problem of voltage.

they are 1600ones, though i have 2 1800, but they are slightly bette only

yeah fully charged. used meter to verified that

they are 1600ones, though i have 2 1800, but they are slightly bette only

yeah fully charged. used meter to verified that

just wanted to point out something: "meter" is not able to verify the capacity of the batteries.

Problem might be the GP batteries. My experience with various brands (Sony Sanyo, Mitsubishi, etc) puts them among the worst performer in terms of actual capacity.

2 AA batteries cameras, tend to drain dry faster than cameras with 4 'AA's.

Since GP 1800 is not much more better, even if you get 2100 or 2200, it's only slightly better.

So I suggest you carry spare sets of batteries.

When I was using my QV-2900UX, it drains my 4 'AA' so fast, that for a whole day shoot from morning till late evening. (8 hours of shooting. Whew. With rest in between lah.)

I have to carry 12 batteries, 4 in the camera, 2 x 4 'AA' in my bag as spares.

For Cameras like S45, the batteries drain out in 2+ hours, so even with 1 spare battery it's only like 4-5 hours of shoot. For whole day shoot, I think have to buy 2 spares and charge 3 batteries!

Hmmm, and I suppose your charger 'fully charges' them , based on some IC chip inside to do some intelligent charging? Not one of those 'time-based' ones, right?

i tried.

i have GP batt

normal AAs have a discharge voltage of 1.5 Volts. However Rechargeables have discharge characteristics that raises from 1.2V to 1.5V during discharge. Thus, initially when fully charged, your camera register the battery as low.

So, your dad is correct.

Originally posted by mervlam
normal AAs have a discharge voltage of 1.5 Volts. However Rechargeables have discharge characteristics that raises from 1.2V to 1.5V during discharge. Thus, initially when fully charged, your camera register the battery as low.

Raises? It should be the other way....

NiMh AA/AAA are about 1.4volts when freshly charged, they will then drop to 1.3V with use and stay at this for much of its capacity and will drop down to about 1.2V when they are discharged. It is at this point where most cameras will detect battery low or shut off.

If his camera detects battery low with fresh batteries, it could be that his batteries are either faulty or not properly charged, or that his camera isn't designed to work well with NiMh.

Some earlier Pentax/HP cameras exhibited similar incompatibilities with NiMh batteries before, in that they are extremely picky about the type of NiMh used....not every brand would work properly.

Swakoo,

1. what charger are you using to charge your batteries?
2. You said you used a multimeter to test, what voltage did they register?( I hope it wasn't 1.2V from your previous assumption..)

Originally posted by mervlam

So, your dad is correct.

oopsss..... confused between charging and discharging.

does it mean that rechargeable NiMH batteries are able to shoot more than energizer,duracell alkaline batteries?

Anyone pls help?

I'm using 1800 GP NiMH batteries with the 1 hr quick charger.
This is suppose to be a intelligent charger. But on
my third charge, two of my batteries got burnt. Why?:cry:

Originally posted by mpenza
just wanted to point out something: "meter" is not able to verify the capacity of the batteries.

Problem might be the GP batteries. My experience with various brands (Sony Sanyo, Mitsubishi, etc) puts them among the worst performer in terms of actual capacity.

I have the same experience with mpenza. GP batteries are overated. Their batteries dose not perform as rated. Reviews has shown that too. :)

Previously, I wonder why my digcam sucks batteries like drinking water. In the end I realised it was the GP batteries that was lousy. After changing to Sanyo 2100, no more problems. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by newbie99
does it mean that rechargeable NiMH batteries are able to shoot more than energizer,duracell alkaline batteries?

yes. NiMH works better than alkalines for high current drain devices like digital cameras.

do u guys use Nimh or alkaline batteries for flash? Was reading my manual for 420ex... it says using Nimh batteries, the flash power is only 70-80% of the full power.. so should i use alkaline?

Originally posted by blizzy
do u guys use Nimh or alkaline batteries for flash? Was reading my manual for 420ex... it says using Nimh batteries, the flash power is only 70-80% of the full power.. so should i use alkaline?

NiMh and NiCd provide less shots than alkalines, but they allow the flash to recycle faster than alkalines.

Personally I prefer to use rechargeables rather than alkalines for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.