Rechargable, AA, Lithium batts for camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Zerstorer
NiMh and NiCd provide less shots than alkalines, but they allow the flash to recycle faster than alkalines.

Personally I prefer to use rechargeables rather than alkalines for this reason.

i'm not worried abt the number of shots, but the power of the flash. If its weaker, then shorter range.

Originally posted by blizzy
i'm not worried abt the number of shots, but the power of the flash. If its weaker, then shorter range.

I think it's not true.

It's because your flash did not get it's power from the batteries directly.

The batteries (Ni-Cd, Ni-MH or alkaine) charge up the capacitor inside the flash first.
When the capacitor is fully charged up, the "Flash Ready" LED lights up.

When you take picture or test-fire the flash, the capacitor discharge to provide the flash power and then once again charges itself again.

The batteries should only affect the number of shots and the recycling time or the time it takes to recharge the capacitor for the next shot.

So the flash power should be constant regardless of battery type.
Though you can use a flash meter to do a test if you are still unsure.

Originally posted by aong
Hmmm, and I suppose your charger 'fully charges' them , based on some IC chip inside to do some intelligent charging? Not one of those 'time-based' ones, right?

its the GP charger loh

Originally posted by mervlam
normal AAs have a discharge voltage of 1.5 Volts. However Rechargeables have discharge characteristics that raises from 1.2V to 1.5V during discharge. Thus, initially when fully charged, your camera register the battery as low.

So, your dad is correct.

I see.... :( so how?

Originally posted by Swakoo
I see.... :( so how?

Erm...

Read the posts carefully, his statement was wrong.

Blizzy: The flash won't be weaker.

Raises? It should be the other way....

NiMh AA/AAA are about 1.4volts when freshly charged, they will then drop to 1.3V with use and stay at this for much of its capacity and will drop down to about 1.2V when they are discharged. It is at this point where most cameras will detect battery low or shut off.

If his camera detects battery low with fresh batteries, it could be that his batteries are either faulty or not properly charged, or that his camera isn't designed to work well with NiMh.

Some earlier Pentax/HP cameras exhibited similar incompatibilities with NiMh batteries before, in that they are extremely picky about the type of NiMh used....not every brand would work properly.

wah like that one.. must try ah
my manual states NiMH above Alkaline in a table.. so it should be tested...

Swakoo,

1. what charger are you using to charge your batteries?
2. You said you used a multimeter to test, what voltage did they register?( I hope it wasn't 1.2V from your previous assumption..)

1) I used the GP charger

2) about 1.3+V

1) I used the GP charger

2) about 1.3+V

Which model of GP charger? Unless it is the GP Rapid or GP Smart, all other GP chargers cannot reliably charge up to full capacity.

Also a freshly charged NiMh is >1.4V as mentioned. If you are getting less, your batteries may be worn or not properly charged.

Originally posted by taker
I have the same experience with mpenza. GP batteries are overated. Their batteries dose not perform as rated. Reviews has shown that too. :)

Previously, I wonder why my digcam sucks batteries like drinking water. In the end I realised it was the GP batteries that was lousy. After changing to Sanyo 2100, no more problems. :thumbsup:

Hmm so sanyo really good? friend also asking me to get it.. wonder how much...

1) I used the GP charger

2) about 1.3+V

If you use a voltmeter to test the batteries without load, the number is not very meaningful. Since, the batteries voltage will drop further upon load.

Anyway, in most cases, 1.2 to 1.15V should be enough to
power most camera.

Which model of GP charger? Unless it is the GP Rapid or GP Smart, all other GP chargers cannot reliably charge up to full capacity.

Also a freshly charged NiMh is >1.4V as mentioned. If you are getting less, your batteries may be worn or not properly charged.

it says [powerbank 2,
gppbo5bs on the back

hmmm

it says [powerbank 2,
gppbo5bs on the back

hmmm

Powerbank II is a timed charger only meant for 1600mAh batteries.

In fact, it might not even charge 1600mAh batteries properly.

You cannot charge your 1800mAh properly using this charger.

Consider buying a Smart Charger instead, checkout the consumers corner for the ordering.

Originally posted by blizzy

Power of the flash is the same regardless of what batteries you use. Don't worry about it.

Powerbank II is a timed charger only meant for 1600mAh batteries.

In fact, it might not even charge 1600mAh batteries properly.

You cannot charge your 1800mAh properly using this charger.

Consider buying a Smart Charger instead, checkout the consumers corner for the ordering.

so my GP isn't that bad afterall, countary to what some says that GP not so good?

can't find this smart charger thing

so my GP isn't that bad afterall, countary to what some says that GP not so good?

can't find this smart charger thing

I don't think Zerstorer's statement meant that GP batteries are good.... anyway, you need to use other brands over some time (when the batteries are properly conditioned and reached their potential) to really know the difference.

Originally posted by mpenza
I don't think Zerstorer's statement meant that GP batteries are good.... anyway, you need to use other brands over some time (when the batteries are properly conditioned and reached their potential) to really know the difference.

Any one tried Panasonic's Ni-MH?

I thought I saw some Panasonic 2000mA at Chamoxa in SLS Lvl 6 (It's the OTHER Chamoxa store behind the main one, sells mainly electronics parts)

Any one tried it?

Saw the Lenmar 2300mA batteries in dpreview, any one know if it is in Singapore?

yeah guess i will be trying out sanyo batt sometime soon
any idea how much it would cost?

or what a good price could i get it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.