Recent changes to ClubSNAP

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
Hi members,

You may or may not have noticed that there has been a cosmetic change to how URLs are presented within ClubSNAP. When we updated the software a couple of years ago, we installed a modification that converted URLs to vanity URLs thus you would see URLs like

www.clubsnap.com/forums/kopitiam/
www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax-ricoh/507961-please-share-your-photos-pentax-camera-here-iv-8.html

Unfortunately, the mod is not actively being developed/enhanced nor supported and we have run into issues with it, namely on performance as well as security, thus we had to remove it over the weekend after a minor update to our software rendered parts of the mod unworkable.

We have now reverted to the standard (non-vanity) URL structure and have put in place converters to convert the vanity URLs to the standard URL structure.

Unfortunately, the Likes system was part of the mod that was uninstalled, thus members may have noticed that the Like button on threads has now disappeared.

As an alternative, members can use the THREAD RATING function to rate the thread accordingly.

---

The REPUTATION system has also been turned on for a trial period. Basically, members can give (or subtract) reputation points to/from other members based on their postings and interactions in the community.

Reputation points are given (or subtracted) using the six-pointed star icon on the bottom of each post.

Currently, the reputation system runs like this:-

1. Everyone starts with 10 Reputation points and no Reputation-altering points
  2. For every 365 days registered on the forums, members gain 1 additional Reputation-altering point.
  3. For every 500 posts, members gain 1 additional Reputation-altering point.
  4. For every 500 Reputation points, members gain 1 additional Reputation-altering point.
  5. Members must have a minimum 100 posts before his/her Reputation hits count when given/subtracted to other members.
  6. Each member can give 5 Reputation clicks per 24-hour period.
  7. You must give Reputation clicks to 15 different members before you can give another Reputation click to a previously-given member.
  8. You must leave a comment whenever Reputation is subtracted (a negative Reputation).

We will trial the Reputation system and tweak accordingly (or remove totally if it is abused). As always, please feel free to leave us feedback.

Personally, I feel that member's contribution are being judged by others constantly and that's subjective. I don't see any need for a rating system. We are already being rated left, right, centre elsewhere. Can we keep this crap out? Didn't mean to sound rude.

Reactions: gardna
Personally, I feel that member's contribution are being judged by others constantly and that's subjective. I don't see any need for a rating system. We are already being rated left, right, centre elsewhere. Can we keep this crap out? Didn't mean to sound rude.

Hi Kit,

Thank you for the honest feedback. As we said, this will be a trial and we will evaluate the effectiveness (or lack thereof) at an appropriate time.

In the interim, Senior Members may opt out of the Reputation system by going into their User Control Panel under General Settings (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions) and turn off their Reputation display.

Hope that helps and we will definitely take your feedback seriously when deciding to keep or continue.

Cool, thanks for all the work put into keeping this place running. :thumbsup:

Just a side note in case you guys are considering vB 5, don't. Not at least until you don't have a choice.

Another forum I'm on recently upgraded, pretty negative experience.
A lot of fundamental features that we're used to in vB 4 have been removed.
What's New, Go To Last Post, etc.

Reactions: ed9119 and gardna
Cool, thanks for all the work put into keeping this place running. :thumbsup:

Just a side note in case you guys are considering vB 5, don't. Not at least until you don't have a choice.

Thank you for your support and contributions to ClubSNAP.

Yes, we are well aware of the train-wreck called VB5 and have absolutely no plans to migrate to that platform. We are already exploring alternatives in the event that the current platform is EOL'ed and no longer supported (in terms of bug-fixes and security patches - new features are no longer being planned for this branch of VB). Still a couple more years to go yet before we have to make any moves (we hope!).

Here's my feedback.

1. For every 500 posts, members gain 1 additional Reputation-altering point.
    >> Some ppl only make poor contributions with Kopitiam talk and BnS, or many post from arguing back and forth with forum members.
    So this is subject to abuse by the worse offenders.

2. You must leave a comment whenever Reputation is subtracted (a negative Reputation).
    >> I'd suggest that every 2-3 negative rep from 3 different members count to 1 actual negative score.
    This will prevent abuse from those who have axes to grind after a dispute or certain users who seem to be in cliques ganging up on ppl.

I'd also suggest that the reputation cannot be hidden.
There should be nothing to hide.

Reactions: ed9119 and gardna
Sorry to revive this very dead thread...

I seem to have a notification saying i have a reputation comment but unable to see it, any idea why? Thanks a million, havebeen trying to get rid of it

Sorry to revive this very dead thread...

I seem to have a notification saying i have a reputation comment but unable to see it, any idea why? Thanks a million, havebeen trying to get rid of it
Go to your profile page, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/member.php?u=197364

click on the reputation tag.

where is it? =0

Really cant seem to find it =(

is it on the top or the left?

where is it? =0

Really cant seem to find it =(

is it on the top or the left?
when you log in ClubSNAP on the desktop browser, the notification notice is on the top right of the page beside your user name.
When you click on any of the notification options, it will bring you to a page of your unread private messages/reputation comment/friend request.

if you want to find where the reputation tag is? is in your profile page.

gardna.JPG

i still cant get to the page =(

Try hitting Settings (upper right - next to log out - below ClubSnap logo)...it shows up there too.

Last edited: