Reccommend Telephoto lense

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
Looking for manual telephoto lens 200mm or 300mm for nikon fm2. Lense preferably compatible for teleconverter. Any reccommendations?

You didn't state a budget... :dunno:

The 180mm f2.8 ED AIS has a legendary reputation.

Other options include:
200mm f2 ED AIS
200mm f4 AIS
300mm f2 ED-IF AIS
300mm f2.8 ED-IF AIS
300mm f4.5 ED-IF AIS

Go here for more info: Bjorn's lens review

justarius said:
You didn't state a budget... :dunno:

The 180mm f2.8 ED AIS has a legendary reputation.

Other options include:
200mm f2 ED AIS
200mm f4 AIS
300mm f2 ED-IF AIS
300mm f2.8 ED-IF AIS
300mm f4.5 ED-IF AIS

Go here for more info: Bjorn's lens review

are all those under brand nikkor? how abt 3rd party lens?

budget... heheh... once i get a target i'll go scout for used ones.

Above are all Nikkor lenses. Not too sure about third party brands, but if you get a Nikkor, you can be sure that it'll last you a long long time, by which time third party brands would have crumbled to dust. Nikon built up their reputation as a reliable camera brand with their super durable lenses and bodies which has gone through wars and even into outer space.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/index.htm

IMO the best site around that has a comprehensive listing of Manual Nikkor lens with a great review article. You will find all information needed. I's choose the 180 f/2.8 ED. If not, I'd go for the 200mm f/4 macro. If you want a bit longer (still at a affordable price), 300mm f/4, f/4.5's are considered excellent lenses.

Anyway, Nikkor lenses at these lengths have really sound reputation, in terms both image and build quality. You will not go wrong choosing any one. Forget 3rd party lenses when you can find Nikkor lenses at great prices..

do you have a guess-timate price for a Nikkor 300mm? (presume 2nd hand)

the f/4's and f/4.5's seem not so easy to come by. But expect to pay at least 350 + if not much more depending on the condition. Great condition 180 f/2.8 ED seems to sell around 600+ and the pricing looks fairly stable.

RemAcuTetigisti said:
...If not, I'd go for the 200mm f/4 macro...

How does this lens work? You mean I can take telephoto 200mm + macro from 200mm away?? Can't be right, can it? :think:

200mm is the focal length of the lens. it does not mean that the lens to subject distance is 200mm.

So is it or is it not a telephoto + macro?

telephoto and macro are not 2 mutually exclusive terms. Telephoto is merely a description of the focal length. When a lens is called a macro lens, it means that the lens is able to focus closer and gets you a bigger image. A telephoto macro enables you to take macro pictures (up to 1:1 magnification if we use the AF 200mm f4 Micro-Nikkor for example) at a larger working distance.

Oh hey, that's cos I already have a zoom, tamron 28-200mm f3.8/5.6. That's why I've been thinking of getting beyond 200 for nature photog. However, taking macros seem quite interesting too. A bit of a uncertainy which to pursue. :dunno:

foxtwo said:
Oh hey, that's cos I already have a zoom, tamron 28-200mm f3.8/5.6. That's why I've been thinking of getting beyond 200 for nature photog. However, taking macros seem quite interesting too. A bit of a uncertainy which to pursue. :dunno:

Like that then its a no brainer (if you have the budget). Go get the 200mm f4 Micro-Nikkor!

justarius said:
Like that then its a no brainer (if you have the budget). Go get the 200mm f4 Micro-Nikkor!

hahah... I pmed an offer this morning. Seller hasn't replied. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.