Reccomendations for next camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin85

Mar 26, 2003
Tampines
Visit site
Considering getting a prosumer series to replace my Canon A40.Anyone has any suggestions as to which route to head to?I'm quite unsure to the world of cameras.

For prosumer digital cams,which model is most reccomended(as in most versatile,newbie-user friendly,value-for-money [cos i'm still student] etc).Thanks and regards
:dunno:

Originally posted by justin85
Considering getting a prosumer series to replace my Canon A40.Anyone has any suggestions as to which route to head to?I'm quite unsure to the world of cameras.

For prosumer digital cams,which model is most reccomended(as in most versatile,newbie-user friendly,value-for-money [cos i'm still student] etc).Thanks and regards
:dunno:

Budget ?
Canon G3 should be good for you since you had a A40 and therefore should be able to get used to using a G3. G5 is coming out though but It won't be cheap..
Maybe you can consider Fuji S602Z too. Has pretty good zoom as well as fast shutter speed.
Sony F717 is good too (cause I using =p) but it uses memory stick which tends to be more expensive than CF so you can't reuse your current CF.

majersg :kok:

How can you forget Nikon CoolPix 5700 ;p

Actually, Justin85, can list a budget first? Would be easier :) prosumer cams take some time to get used to, so newbie friendly all are average.

A few prosumer to consider:

Fujifilm 602z - 3mp, 6x zoom, CF, 4 x AA (last rrp $1250)
Minolta 7hi - 5mp, 7x zoom, CF, 4 x AA (last rrp $1688)
Nikon Coolpix 5700 - 5mp, 8x zoom, CF, EN-L1 (6AA with battery pack) (last rrp $1788)
Sony F717 - 5mp, 10x zoom, Memory Stick, Proprietary battery (last rrp $1588)

Originally posted by espn

Actually, Justin85, can list a budget first? Would be easier :) prosumer cams take some time to get used to, so newbie friendly all are average.

Nikon Coolpix 5700 - 5mp, 8x zoom, CF, EN-L1 (6AA with battery pack) (last rrp $1788)
:cry:
Because it is much more expensive than the rest and he is a student ;p

I missed the pleasant blue sky from G3. After trying many times to shoot the same scene wth my DSLR, still cannot get the same effect and saturation of the sky....

fbf55caf.jpg

Being a student,naturally my budget is pretty small.Intending to get second hand actually.My budget is like $1000 including external flash.

My friend reccomended me the S602z.The specs of the cam are rather impressive,but would like to open my options to other cams for the time being.;)

Anyway must also wait till i sell my a40 lar.

Budget tight, shoot film. $1k can get u an excellent 2nd hand semi-pro film SLR camera.

602z is definitely not $1250 as of recent...

don't get chopped...

Originally posted by GreenEggs_n_Ham
602z is definitely not $1250 as of recent...

don't get chopped...

it was qualified as recommended retail prices. for all the cameras, the market prices are probably around $200 less.

Originally posted by Gunjack
Budget tight, shoot film. $1k can get u an excellent 2nd hand semi-pro film SLR camera.

Was considering that.I guess i'll take that road if my a40 fails to get sold.But i'll require lots of training before converting to film

Anyway does anyone has any good deals for prosumer series??

As well as for my poor a40.Like no one wants it like that.:cry:

Where did you get the rrp for 7hi ($1688) from?

Originally posted by justin85
hmm....which film cam do you reccomend then?For newbies to film from digital.:dent:

it depends which system u favor....

Canon, nikon, minolta, or others...

get a LOMO! just kiddin... hehe

A40 is quite a gd cam aredi, mebe u shld ask yrself wat u want in the new cam, wat the A40 doesnt have dat u need. more MP to print bigger pics? faster lag time? more zoom? this is impt imo cos u r on a budget, need the most bang for buck.

Originally posted by E1g3
I missed the pleasant blue sky from G3. After trying many times to shoot the same scene wth my DSLR, still cannot get the same effect and saturation of the sky....

fbf55caf.jpg

OT.

E1g3, we stay near each other. ;)

Which block do you stay at? Or do you live in one of those nice houses in your pic?

cheers,
sfhuang

Originally posted by E1g3

Use a polariser.. or push up the saturation level in the DSLR.

Originally posted by shuy
get a LOMO! just kiddin... hehe

A40 is quite a gd cam aredi, mebe u shld ask yrself wat u want in the new cam, wat the A40 doesnt have dat u need. more MP to print bigger pics? faster lag time? more zoom? this is impt imo cos u r on a budget, need the most bang for buck.

What i feel the a40 lack is the external flash mount,more zoom.Lag time it'll be better to get a lower lag time one(but not really priority).MP isn't a problem to me(just that 2 and above will do):bwhat:

i second the film suggestion if you're serious about learning photography from the basics. SLRs have better responses (zoom speed, focus control, shutter lag, etc) and gives you a lot more control and flexibility. The only thing you might miss is the instant feedback, which you can still get if you bring your digicam along.

i come from the Canon side, so i'll make some recommendations in the Canon line. Prices are approx.

EOS 30 or 50 (~$200-$300, 2H)
50/1.8 (~$120)
24-85 or 28-105 (~$200-$400, 2H)
75-300 (~$200, 2H)

This equipment will hold its value better than a digicam, and most of them can still be used when (if) you upgrade to a dSLR.

If you need a flash, the 420EX is about $400 new. 2H ones are a bit rare. The EZ fashes are $50-$200 though, 2H, and quite common.

Most importantly, i think if you do not have SLR background, you will learn quite a bit, and probably enjoy the process too.

Status
Not open for further replies.