Reccomendation < $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyan

Jul 2, 2009
Planning to get a good camera before my honeymoon. So exciting!!

What are some good DSLR by Canon or Nikon below $1000 that you would recommend?

I have done research on compact camera too. A few models emerge:
- Panasonic Lumix lx3
- Canon S90
- Canon G11

Appreciate your suggestion, opinion and helps :D

Not only Canikon produces 'good' DSLRs, Sony and Pentax are good too.

I believe that a few of the Sony Alpha series falls within your budget, and also the K-7 and the K-x series of Pentax. :)

Not too sure about other brands.

Enjoy your honeymoon! :)

Last edited:
take a look at the Canon SX20 IS for starters.

Sony HX1, WX1 and TX1.

The sweep panorama is a very fun function to use~

i full recomended for u is The G Series comes full circle. You asked, and Canon not only listened, but delivered big-time. Advanced amateurs who have overwhelmingly embraced the G Series will be delighted with PowerShot G11, which features RAW mode for unlimited editing options, a 28mm wide-angle lens, and a 2.8-inch Vari-Angle PureColor System LCD. Add to that Canon’s new High Sensitivity System and high-speed ISO for incredible image quality, and Canon’s top-range compact digital camera is a truly groundbreaking successor.

i full recomended for u is The G Series comes full circle. You asked, and Canon not only listened, but delivered big-time. Advanced amateurs who have overwhelmingly embraced the G Series will be delighted with PowerShot G11, which features RAW mode for unlimited editing options, a 28mm wide-angle lens, and a 2.8-inch Vari-Angle PureColor System LCD. Add to that Canon’s new High Sensitivity System and high-speed ISO for incredible image quality, and Canon’s top-range compact digital camera is a truly groundbreaking successor.
sound like a cut and paste from the brochure...hahaha.

I read quite good review of Canon 450D. i also read abit of 1000D and Nikon D60. i guess all around the same price right?

i was thinking since those entry level DSLR and top range compact camera price difference is not much. i might as well get the DSLR. but ofcos weight is another consideration.

Pentax Kx is good value for money at $950 with 18-55mm Kit lens. Its better featured than many of its competitors in its price range (actual spot meter; has lens drive motor; On body shake reduction; on camera HDR; HD video) .

Other wise the Canon G or S series is a good all rounder. Just note that the depth of field (DOF) will be in the figure of ~10x more than a APS-C camera, so if you want real shallow DOF effects, this is not the best way forward. Also note the minimum aperture that the compact camera has.

Is D40 a good choice? read from Ken Rockwell's review. He highly recommended that camera.

If you intend to get a DSLR, maybe should start with D60. I'm not using Nikon, but I think D60 is a much later model.

I haven't got the chance to experience a honey moon ;) But some CSer actually recommend just get a good compact camera for honey moon... Spend more time with your love one, and a compact should be easier to carry along.

If compact, I would recommend S90. Check Canon subforum, a lot comparison / thoughts between s90 and lx3.

i have s90 in mind too. still thinking and gather thoughts and opinion.

I think i prefer taking landscape, potrait, bokeh shots.

You know what? Get a 2nd hand D50 or D60. With a couple of 2nd hand lenses can you MAY even have enough to squeeze in a 2nd hand flash (Not recommended as flashes has bulb life. Unless you are sure the previous user under-utilize the flash).

All for sub $1000.

Think about it, good deal right?

As i've mentioned the small sensor and lens distance on compacts will mean large depth of field (DOF), so 'bokeh' shots will be harder (if not impossible for many situations). So will portraits that are sharp at focus point with minimum DOF (very blurred out background).

Your best bet for such effect using a compact cam is.
1. Use the long end of your zoom (Eg. 200mm of the camera)
2. Focus close
3. Choose the widest aperture for the focal length
4. make sure the background is as far away as possible.

If you want something like bokeh, then choose the one with the bigger APS-C sensor.

S90 can take landscape, portrait, the only thing is not so good back ground blur compare to DSLR

It all depends on you.

Put aside the honeymoon, for someone who wants to start into DSLR, I will usually ask
1. Have you prepare to take something bulky out everytime you want take photos? It is about 1kg plus minus, and if you take it for one whole day outside, will you ok with it?
2. Have you sure you will need . like to use it after honeymoon? If not so sure, can get a 2nd hand, and later sell it.
3. Some people prefer (is NOT what I suggest) "get the best, forget the rest". But before you do that (if you want to ) do consider whether you will like photography. There are people who spend $$$ but later their camera / lenses just keep inside dry cabinet and not using anymore.

I'm not trying to say S90 is a very good camera and you must get it. Try to look around in forum and compare yourself.

Unless you have experience with dslr, in order not to spoil you honeymoon I suggest you go for the prosumer either the S90 or LX3 (each had it's pros and cons). They should be able to give you pretty good pictures.

Go to the shops and test out both or any other prosumers.

Choose the one you and also you beloved one like most(considering cost,features,etc..) .
It is not only the camera, but the person behind the camera that makes a very good picture
for your remembrance.

If you are more adventurous, then you can try out the manual features in these cameras.

Do consider the4 questions posed by Shen siung seriously before embarking on a dslr.

cheers

LX-3 best cam right now :thumbsup:

or else u shld consider pentax k-x best value lots of features

2007 i was in US taken a lot of pictures with my friend's Nikon D70 + 12-24 F4. When i recallled, actually it wasn't very tired even though it(D70 is heavy right?) was hung on my neck for a long time. I guess i was very focus taking picture and enjoying it as well.

Coming purchase will be my first dslr, in fact it's going to be my first personal camera that share with my wife-to-be. Really hope to put the money into good use. We both like photography anyway!

I don't mind getting a 2nd hand camera, as long a good deal comes along and it actuallys saves money too.

Honeymoon most probably will start at the end of April. So i want to get a camera now and try to learn and use it frequently in these few months. Hopefully i can master the basic skill before we fly.

I'm now seriously considering Andy's proposal. For the past 1 week i have spent a few hours per day digging into photograhpy stuffs like reviews, comments, thread discussion, looking at sample photos, etc. Still gather my thoughts though.

If i ever raise my budget, i might go with D90.. another league. but slim chance to raise.

Last edited:
2007 i was in US taken a lot of pictures with my friend's Nikon D70 + 12-24 F4. When i recallled, actually it wasn't very tired even though it(D70 is heavy right?) was hung on my neck for a long time. I guess i was very focus taking picture and enjoying it as well.

Coming purchase will be my first dslr, in fact it's going to be my first personal camera that share with my wife-to-be. Really hope to put the money into good use. We both like photography anyway!

I don't mind getting a 2nd hand camera, as long a good deal comes along and it actuallys saves money too.

Honeymoon most probably will start at the end of April. So i want to get a camera now and try to learn and use it frequently in these few months. Hopefully i can master the basic skill before we fly.

I'm now seriously considering Andy's proposal. For the past 1 week i have spent a few hours per day digging into photograhpy stuffs like reviews, comments, thread discussion, looking at sample photos, etc. Still gather my thoughts though.

If i ever raise my budget, i might go with D90.. another league. but slim chance to raise.

Good to know a few things
1. you still have time to learn - important, cannot be rush.
2. you read the reviews - it is tired, but give yourself some time, maybe another 2 more weeks. you will slowly figure your way out. when I deciding my 1st dslr, I took about 6 weeks to gather info + decide :).
3. you and your wife-to-be like photography - means both of you will mostly enjoy a dslr, thus can eliminate the compact.
4. you tried dslr - can quite sure to get dslr

So now comes to which model - seems you have decide on Nikon. And seems your friend got a Nikon, so I would say Nikon should be a good choice for you, since -
1. You may able share lens with him in future
2. You may exchange info / learn technique from him.

So now which Nikon to go? Too bad I've no experience with Nikon, but if not wrong, the current affordable model will be D5000 or D3000. What is the 2nd hand price for D90?

For sure I will suggest you get a kit lens, but now just to decide which model to go.

Might want to look at this thread describing some older model of Nikon's?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381385

thanks Ss! :) are you Canon user?

Yep. i do prefer Nikon.
D40 (2nd hand) - old model, but cheap, and reasonably suit my needs (any objections?)
D60 (2nd hand) - newer than D40 but not much better(from what i read, correct me if i'm wrong)
D90 (new) - $1650 quoted by AP SLS today - over my budget and very heavy with the kit lens, but it has many good reviews. i think it might be too good a dslr for a newbie like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.