Reccomendation < $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think i saw ppl quoted $900 for D90.
Anyway I might be selling my D90 too, but looking at $1000 i guess.

OK you have used a dslr before and have enough time to learn to use the dslr just go for it
especially when you wife to be is also interested in photography.

The reminder is when you move into dslr you are investing in a system and not just the
initial cost of the camera (you would want to invest in prime lens, tripod, flash, tele, macros etc..).

I think most of the entry level dslr are good enough for beginners; so choose the one you feel best on your hands (based on your budget) and learn to used every if not most of the features available. Find ways to overcome limitations(that's the frustration and fun part).

Cheers and best wishes for your wedding/honeymoon.

also read the other thread and comments :

How I bought my first dSLR
by driveanegg

cheers

thanks Ss! :) are you Canon user?

Yep. i do prefer Nikon.
D40 (2nd hand) - old model, but cheap, and reasonably suit my needs (any objections?)
D60 (2nd hand) - newer than D40 but not much better(from what i read, correct me if i'm wrong)
D90 (new) - $1650 quoted by AP SLS today - over my budget and very heavy with the kit lens, but it has many good reviews. i think it might be too good a dslr for a newbie like me.

Don't know about the D40, but you can forget about the D60 :D The D60 was a very entry level camera lacking a few features here and there. A new model D5000 has upped the ante to provide much better value (within Nikon anyway)

sin77 - Yep. 900 is the lowest i have observed recently. how's yours' condition?

wongcho - thanks for your blessing!

pinholecame - held the D5000 with kit lens in my hand yesterday. it is much lighter than the D90. Haven't test it yet. will try to read more =)

thanks Ss! :) are you Canon user?

Yep. i do prefer Nikon.
D40 (2nd hand) - old model, but cheap, and reasonably suit my needs (any objections?)
D60 (2nd hand) - newer than D40 but not much better(from what i read, correct me if i'm wrong)
D90 (new) - $1650 quoted by AP SLS today - over my budget and very heavy with the kit lens, but it has many good reviews. i think it might be too good a dslr for a newbie like me.

You are welcome, yes I'm a Canon user.
2 of my friend 'just' bought D90... (July, Dec) Both of them just trying to get better photos that cannot be achieved by compact. Not very much intend to be a hobbyist, though.

One of them actually also feel D90 is way out of the budget, then I recommend the D5000, but at the end she decide to just go for the D90. Ha ha, I'm not trying to spread the BBB virus.

sin77 - Yep. 900 is the lowest i have observed recently. how's yours' condition?

wongcho - thanks for your blessing!

pinholecame - held the D5000 with kit lens in my hand yesterday. it is much lighter than the D90. Haven't test it yet. will try to read more =)

I would feel D5000 is a good deal. I haven't run through the details spec, but I think since it is relatively new, if you able to get it 2nd hand, the unit will definitely a unit still with warranty.

last night by chance i came across a CSer(nightmare)'s photo gallery. I was very very impressed by his photo taken with Pentax k20d. Now i have another serious option! =p

Haha, Pics differs by photographers, the instruments are only limits.

last night by chance i came across a CSer(nightmare)'s photo gallery. I was very very impressed by his photo taken with Pentax k20d. Now i have another serious option! =p

it ain't the camera. it's the photographer's skills. he could have produced those pics with any modern dslr.

Last edited:

Yes I feel it is his skill that matters most. Of course for certain landscape he used an ultra wide angle (which cannot be truly imitate by non ultra wide - thus a correct / suitable lens is needed)

D40 has been out of the market (new) for about 1 year plus already.
Current entry nikon models are D3000 and D5000.

I am sure you will enjoy both. But make sure the wife likes it also or you will hear no end of it ..... ;p

That said, i would prefer a P&S for a honeymoon. Many people overseas may not be as affluent as in sg, dSLR are relatively uncommon in these areas. On a honeymoon you will want pictures of you and wife in nice background. You will not want to choose nice settings, nice background then pass ur camera to an absolute newbie (never held an SLR in his life!!) to hope that the pics will be nice. If you choose to shoot urself or let ur wife shoot then someone is always missing in the pics. Quite a pity i feel.

You will also need to convince yourself, are u comfortable passing your $1000 +++ toy to someone you dont know ?? drop how ??? ;)

btw night86mare is a genius in landscapes and cats ....

Have a blessed marriage and may happiness be with you.

You will not want to choose nice settings, nice background then pass ur camera to an absolute newbie (never held an SLR in his life!!) to hope that the pics will be nice.

I seriously thinks that such newbie will take a better picture with a dSLR vs a compact. Its the same. Press the button. (Althouh before you pass it to him, turn to auto everything and nearest object focus mode)

You will also need to convince yourself, are u comfortable passing your $1000 +++ toy to someone you dont know ?? drop how ??? ;)

Come on, you want others to help.... (Of course he can run away with your cam. But its part of the risk in life). Also, a 2nd hand dSLR may not necessarily cost more then a 1st hand good PnS camera. :sweatsm:

urmm.... i hand others my old P&S on holidays ... :embrass:

But I do agree with Andy Ang, 2nd dSLR may be cheaper than new P&S :)

Nightmare would probably take a better pict with a pin hole camera that most folks :D

Since you are interested, I try to push you this cheap but good poison :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/
:D
All this for ~$950

As all of you have mentioned. night86mare is indeed a genius. he's a great master of the tool he uses!

On a honeymoon you will want pictures of you and wife in nice background. You will not want to choose nice settings, nice background then pass ur camera to an absolute newbie (never held an SLR in his life!!) to hope that the pics will be nice. If you choose to shoot urself or let ur wife shoot then someone is always missing in the pics. Quite a pity i feel.

Have a blessed marriage and may happiness be with you.
Thanks for your blessing :)

Should i bring a good tripod along as suggested by my friend?

My friend actually told me that he can lend me his old D70 which i used it before in 2007 US trip. he got a new toy now D300!
I'm thinking to borrow his D70 and if neccessary i just buy 2nd hand lens and explore them first. later then buy a new body.

Last edited:
How about a Sigma DP-1 or DP-2. Under 1k secondhand. A DP-1 might even go for less. Compact body with APS-C sensor. Only limitation is the fixed focal length.

Nightmare would probably take a better pict with a pin hole camera that most folks :D

Since you are interested, I try to push you this cheap but good poison :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/
:D
All this for ~$950
This afternoon i read abit about Pentax k20d and kx. Both are quite nice camera. In the end, i decided to stick to Nikon for long run purpose. thanks anyway :)

Thanks for your blessing :)

Should i bring a good tripod along as suggested by my friend?

My friend actually told me that he can lend me his old D70 which i used it before in 2007 US trip. he got a new toy now D300!
I'm thinking to borrow his D70 and if neccessary i just buy 2nd hand lens and explore them first. later then buy a new body.

A tripod is definately help in self portrait (for both of you), but you need to factor in the weight and the possible cumbersome.

And you may find out soon in other sub forum / threads that, cheap, light, sturdy do not comes together in a tripod. Means, a sturdy tripod will not be cheap and light; a cheap, light tripod will not be sturdy, etc.

I heard from who is experience in compact cameras, based overseas.

He told me that nowadays, the compact cameras, the IQ is not that good ask many companies are pushing people to buy their Prosumer or DSLR cameras.
Don't know how true. :dunno:

So think twice when choosing one.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.