Reccomend a lens below $500

Recoil3d

Jan 23, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Everyone just throw your suggestions here! Seem like alot of new Pentaxians (including myself) out for average priced lens and still wondering which to buy ... the list goes on forever:sweat:
At least all the Shifus here got experience already so we will know which lens is worth considering and thoes that are just a waste on money :sticktong​

Everyone just throw your suggestions here! Seem like alot of new Pentaxians (including myself) out for average priced lens and still wondering which to buy ... the list goes on forever:sweat:
At least all the Shifus here got experience already so we will know which lens is worth considering and thoes that are just a waste on money :sticktong​

Firstly,what do you want to shoot?Landscapes?Portraits?Macro?

Manual focus ones that are good is a really big list. Here are some for consideration.

24/2.8 - SMC-K 24/2.8 is very good; The little gem here that is real value for money are the Cosina and Vivitar 24/2.8. Plasticky build, but very decent optics, very cheap and sharp from f4 onwards.

28mm -Any of the Pentax 28mm; The Vivitar 28mm are said to be very good as well.

35mm - FA35/2 is real good for the price. But any of the Pentax 35mm are really good. In fact the S.Takumar 35/3.5 does give a certain sharpness and rendering that I find very good and unique.

50mm - Any Pentax 50mm; I'd not shy away from a 50/2 (my most often used 50mm for its sharpness at f2 and f2.8)

85mm - M85/2; A fantastic lens for the price. Very small lens which means it gets taken out and used more often. The others cost and arm and leg anyway.

135mm - K135/2.5

The best thing...
If you bought some of the combination of 24mm to 50mms, they would be within $500. ;)

new newbie wish list:

- Kit lens (18-55) good for "normal" use

- DA / DAL 55-300 for zoom

- D FA 100mm macro or D FA 50mm macro (depends how u wanna use it)

- D FA 50mm f1.4 (must have portrait lens, but OOS :sweat:)

if still itchy,

can collect all the pancake lenses :sweatsm:

new newbie wish list:

- Kit lens (18-55) good for "normal" use

- DA / DAL 55-300 for zoom

- D FA 100mm macro or D FA 50mm macro (depends how u wanna use it)

- D FA 50mm f1.4 (must have portrait lens, but OOS :sweat:)

if still itchy,

can collect all the pancake lenses :sweatsm:

or the Limiteds in Black or Silver hehehehe . . . ;p :devil:

But your pocket wil burn a very very BIG hole :devil:

Everyone here most likely knows the "legendary" lenses ... 31,43,77 ltds and DA* but its thoes lens that cant be found in consumer shops that are the good stuff for the right price :sweatsm: Thats what this thread is for !

for $500...

try look for a 2nd hand Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Tamron 28-70 2.8 as they are very good all purpose lenses especially if you want to use it as a source of income.

Best lens combination for budget constrain, the kit lens 18-55 wr and 50-200 wr.
This are good lens if you know how...get a shot and do some PP..result be better or same
from average lens..make a try...

i usually wait until i know what i am lacking, then i will buy it. ;p

others that come to my mind...

FA 28-70 F/4
FA 80-320 F/4.5 - F/4.6

how bout all purpose lense, any rec? planning to bring it for travelling.
btw sigma 18-200 and tamron 18-200, which is better, read a lot of review but still at a lost.

Not a good idea...unless you got a 2nd lens, if the lens got problem....the camera will be a paperweight.

worst case scenario....there is always instant camera :D

btw sigma 18-200 and tamron 18-200, which is better, read a lot of review but still at a lost.

A Kit lens of 18-5mm and 50-200mm or 55-300mm lens to carry around would be better than the all in one types.

A Kit lens of 18-5mm and 50-200mm or 55-300mm lens to carry around would be better than the all in one types.

Good advice from Felix. Just use the 18-55 and 55-200. Inexpensive and good performance. You get the option to reduce weight and not take a certain lens out if you choose. MHO, is that 18-55 will be used more often anyway.

Hey i saw a fa 80-320 silverish colour for $330++ and wondering if the IQ is better than my sigma 18-200mm ? Also would like to know if the DA*16-50 f2.8 is worth the around $1000 compared to the cheaper tamron 17-50 ?

Here is a pic of the 17-50 Tamron.F2.8 ISO 1600 No PP. I started to hate Facebook photo album. sheesh

24109_392890878424_597463424_378149.jpg

Last edited:
Hey i saw a fa 80-320 silverish colour for $330++ and wondering if the IQ is better than my sigma 18-200mm ? Also would like to know if the DA*16-50 f2.8 is worth the around $1000 compared to the cheaper tamron 17-50 ?

DA*16-50mm F2.8 is weather sealed but the Tamton 17-50mm F2.8 and the Sigma 18 -50mm F2.8 are NOT weather sealed. You are paying for the weather sealing of the Pentax DA* lens.

if your shooting LANDSCAPE and MACRO
better get the manual Lens instead :)