RECAP: Buying Digicam? Read This....

Status
Not open for further replies.

taker

Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
I know this article is old, but not the tactics that is still employed by some shops. Just read and be aware. Esp for those new to digicam. :)

*This article is extract from The New Paper on Aug 31, 2004.

Digiscams!!! Looking for a digital camera? Some camera shops may not be completely honest with you. Dr Money reveals some possible scams

BY LARRY HAVERK AMP - Aug 31, 2004

FOR three years I kept alive my dream of being the last person in Singapore to own a digital camera.

Last week I threw in the towel.

Mrs. Money and I decided we should take pictures of the cute things our daughters do now, before they become cute but self-conscious teenagers.

So I set off looking for a great camera deal. What I found was an education in "the art of the scam".

Here are eight scams I encountered in my shopping expedition.

My shopping experiences came from eight shops in Funan the IT Mall, Peninsula Plaza, Lucky Plaza and Sim Lim Square.

At the end, I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 2 megapixel camera for $299 from a department store - Courts IT Centre at Funan. We are quite satisfied with the camera.

1. BAIT AND SWITCH

This is the most profitable scam. Five of the eight stores I visited used it.

The Nikon camera was on offer by the manufacturer for $299, but five shops quoted a price of $250. When I said, "I`ll take it", the salesman immediately offered a better deal. He confided that the Nikon camera had certain flaws. For one thing, he said the lens was plastic and not glass (not true). Another salesman told me the focus was no good for close-up pictures (also not true).

Next, the salesman took out another brand which cost $200 more but was supposedly better value for money.

I said I still wanted the $299 camera that was going for only $250.

Suddenly, the deal was off. The shops explained the camera had been promised to another customer. I would have to wait for the next shipment in two weeks. I believe that without the bait and switch, there was no profit in this deal. The $250 price really was too good to be true.

2. MISSING COMPONENTS

Four of the shops used this scam. They offered the camera for $250 but substituted cheaper components.

For example, the camera came with a 128MB flash memory card. But one shop insisted it included only a 16MB card and I must pay $70 to upgrade to 128MB.

Another shop wanted to sell me the battery charger separately even though it is also part of the package.

3. NOW OR NEVER

Four of the eight shops said their offer was available today only.

Two said I must "buy right now".

The Nikon advertisement, however, said the offer was available for one month.

4. FAKE QUALITY CLAIMS

Two of the camera shops told me the Nikon Coolpix cameras they sold were made in Japan. They said other shops sold inferior ones made in China.

It turns out there is a small sticker at the bottom of the camera which says "Made in China" on all Nikon Coolpix 2200 cameras sold here.

The shops claiming their cameras were made in Japan may simply have peeled off that sticker.

5. LAST ONE

Five of the shops told me they had only one piece remaining of the model I wanted.

The implication was that I had better snap it up now or someone else would. One week later, I visited each of the five shops that had one remaining camera.

They still had one piece remaining.

6. MANAGER`S APPROVAL

Three shops offered me a slightly better deal, then said they need to get the manager`s approval.

They return with "I got it approved".

I got the feeling the salesmen simply wanted me to think the deal was so good that it needed to be approved at a higher level.

7. FAMOUS STUDY

One of the shops showed me a study that said more megapixels are better. The shop wanted me to upgrade to 4 or 5 megapixels which cost more.

But the two-page study gave no indication who the authors were or if it was commissioned by the camera manufacturers. Studies like this may not be impartial.

8. WARRANTY?

Apparently, some cameras are cheaper because they are sold through the "grey" market.

These do not come with a warranty.

Hmm i encountered something about warranty stuff. I bought a camera from a shop from SLS, the saleperson quote me a very very cheap price, that you cannot find in any other shops. However, before i opened up my wallet, they said "For your info, this price doesn't come with warranty..." I am a newbie in photography world, so i ask how much does it cost getting one with warranty? He told me to topup another $75. I thought all local sets come with warranty?
I don't really know whether this is very common or is it just my luck. Anyway, in the end i still got the camera, as the price + $75 is still the cheapest so far i had searched around SLS.

I encounted 1 shop in SLS. I wanted to get the Powershot A520, but as he said the lens is made of plastic, not glass. then he said the image quality is not as good. He then took out a Samsung Cam. He took a pic of me using the Powershot and the Samsung close up. The result? The Powershot one turned out reddish and bright. The Samsung one is good. WHY?? because he used the bloody flash with the Powershot! I bougth the Powershot 2 week later at another shop, it turned out great. Still dare to say Powershot is no good

kit_fisto said:
I encounted 1 shop in SLS. I wanted to get the Powershot A520, but as he said the lens is made of plastic, not glass. then he said the image quality is not as good. He then took out a Samsung Cam. He took a pic of me using the Powershot and the Samsung close up. The result? The Powershot one turned out reddish and bright. The Samsung one is good. WHY?? because he used the bloody flash with the Powershot! I bougth the Powershot 2 week later at another shop, it turned out great. Still dare to say Powershot is no good

must be trying to clear those slow moving items..... or they can play with the white balance to confuse the buyer.

Belano said:
Hmm i encountered something about warranty stuff. I bought a camera from a shop from SLS, the saleperson quote me a very very cheap price, that you cannot find in any other shops. However, before i opened up my wallet, they said "For your info, this price doesn't come with warranty..." I am a newbie in photography world, so i ask how much does it cost getting one with warranty? He told me to topup another $75. I thought all local sets come with warranty?
I don't really know whether this is very common or is it just my luck. Anyway, in the end i still got the camera, as the price + $75 is still the cheapest so far i had searched around SLS.

Usual trick at SL. Either that or they told u no stock and make u walk round and round.

kit_fisto said:

How can Samsung compare to canon that have many years makie camera? Think they earn better selling samsungs.

jeffhiew said:
must be trying to clear those slow moving items..... or they can play with the white balance to confuse the buyer.

They sometimes do diff settings for cams to have diff effects on cams. How I know? Because my buddy is working in one of the shops there. I would say they are really misleading the custs. So beta do homework here first.

kit_fisto said:

You know why they do that? Coz they can rip more profit margin out of the Samsung.
I believe the Samsung is an export set, don't really see them around in Sg.

Yep, i read about this too...and i do know that there are some black listed shops at SLS (some shops keep an article to remind customers of scam shops around) and there are the "recommended" shops, where the list can be obtained at the information counter.

Still relatively new, i only deal with MS,AP ...and bally photo for 2 items. For cams i'll go AP or MS

Status
Not open for further replies.