Reasonable personal warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Hey guys,

Just wondering; if selling an expensive lens with an expired official warranty, should the seller provide a personal warranty, and what should that personal warranty cover? In my opinion, not sure if right or wrong, the seller should provide 3-5 days personal warranty for problems relating to:

1. focusing problems
2. mechanism/AF/VR etc problems
3. fungus (after all, fungus won't grow till so jialat in 5 days, right?)

but not cover things like scratches to lens elements, dents and scratches.

Also, if the buyer is unsure, he can at his own expense, pay for a general checkup of the lens at the authorised service center. If there is indeed a problem, then the seller will either bear the cost of repairs/servicing or give a full refund. If there's no problems then the buyer will have to foot the bill for his uncertainty.

What do you guys think? :dunno:

I don't believe in personal warranty.

If you do give, make sure you state down what kind of conditions it should fulfill in order to return, if the barrel's scratched slightly, it shouldn't be returned, and/or damaged etc blah blah.

Think 24 hours should be enough. 'cos you never know somebody is 'borrowing' the glass to use for a while and after that 'return' ;)

espn said:
I don't believe in personal warranty.

If you do give, make sure you state down what kind of conditions it should fulfill in order to return, if the barrel's scratched slightly, it shouldn't be returned, and/or damaged etc blah blah.

Think 24 hours should be enough. 'cos you never know somebody is 'borrowing' the glass to use for a while and after that 'return' ;)

Hmmm, that's true.. didn't take into account some 'chow kuan' ppl :bsmilie:

Personal warranty is based on good will and mutual trust. It is something that is good to have only if both the buyer and seller are "steady" in their transaction.

IMO it is not necessary. Just make sure that the seller has set aside enough time during meet up for the buyer to test it thoroughly and not rush the sale.

Put yourself in the seller's shoe, if the lens works perfect during transaction day but 2 days later the buyer claimed that the lens is not working and you have to bear responsibility for it. You as seller may not know what is wrong or happened to the lens while it is not with you.

Does TCW provide few days shop warranty for second hand units?? :think:

Gymrat76 said:
Hmmm, that's true.. didn't take into account some 'chow kuan' ppl :bsmilie:
Just becareful lah, especially dealing with people you don't know. I still don't advise on personal warranty :) but it's up to ya.

It's not a question of should or should not, it's a question of whether you want to pay for it, and what is the negotiating power on both sides.

As you know, you have a choice when buying from second-hand dealers:

Goods sold "as-is" carries one price

Goods sold with a 6-month warranty carries another price, and usually higher.

This is to price in the risks that the dealer has to take.

So if you want a personal warranty-- go for it when you negotiate, but be aware that will be built into the price. But there's no obligation on any seller to provide any warranty per se, other than against misrepresentation (eg knowingly selling you a fake Canon lens as the real thing, saying the item works when it clearly does not, etc).

Gymrat76 said:
Hey guys,

Just wondering; if selling an expensive lens with an expired official warranty, should the seller provide a personal warranty, and what should that personal warranty cover? In my opinion, not sure if right or wrong, the seller should provide 3-5 days personal warranty for problems relating to:

1. focusing problems
2. mechanism/AF/VR etc problems
3. fungus (after all, fungus won't grow till so jialat in 5 days, right?)

but not cover things like scratches to lens elements, dents and scratches.

Also, if the buyer is unsure, he can at his own expense, pay for a general checkup of the lens at the authorised service center. If there is indeed a problem, then the seller will either bear the cost of repairs/servicing or give a full refund. If there's no problems then the buyer will have to foot the bill for his uncertainty.

What do you guys think? :dunno:

espn said:
Just becareful lah, especially dealing with people you don't know. I still don't advise on personal warranty :) but it's up to ya.

I also dun advise on giving personal warranty. Many ppl in this world take ppl's kindness for their weakness...:bsmilie:

It depends.

Ppl whom I'd deal with or had dealt with typically dun take advantage. Maybe I'm lucky haven't meet chao kuan ppl yet.

Here's where the ratings come in handy to identify those chao kuan people... come to think of it the buyer also want to be protected against chao kuan seller also right? so it's mutual both want to be careful in buying/selling second hand stuff.

Really it's down to trust, and having a very detail description of the items is very important if want to give personal warranty, IMO.

../azul123

also beware of those who haggle the price after agreeing on a price b4 meeting up.

met quite a few b4...

azul123 said:
Here's where the ratings come in handy to identify those chao kuan people... come to think of it the buyer also want to be protected against chao kuan seller also right? so it's mutual both want to be careful in buying/selling second hand stuff.

Really it's down to trust, and having a very detail description of the items is very important if want to give personal warranty, IMO.

../azul123
Believe me, the ratings doesn't help, not one single bit.

markccm said:
also beware of those who haggle the price after agreeing on a price b4 meeting up.

met quite a few b4...
I will just tell them, want, take, don't want, bye. I tell them straight in the face.

espn said:
I will just tell them, want, take, don't want, bye. I tell them straight in the face.

think i shall adopt ur method man.

encountered ppl who get me to bring the thing to their door step then still wanna haggle price.
then there r those who claim come to meet me have to take transport or pay for parking lah, so should be cheaper.

all agreed upon via PM or sms then meetup still wanna haggle.
honestly speaking when there is an offer & acceptance it is already a contract that is legally binding.

this is basic contract law.

I have to agree with espn, et al. The only recourse a buyer should have against a seller of a second hand item is if the item is not as stated. It is up to the buyer to be informed and take appropriate care during inspection.

markccm said:
think i shall adopt ur method man.

encountered ppl who get me to bring the thing to their door step then still wanna haggle price.
then there r those who claim come to meet me have to take transport or pay for parking lah, so should be cheaper.
just turn around and leave.
it's like saying i go to CP can get free parking and petrol cost.

markccm said:

met quite a few b4...

Me too, met a few... but its kinda fun to hear their bargaining reasons like "I've come all the way down from [insert ulu location]" , "C'mon, reduce your price, Film cameras dun worth anything nowadays", "There is a 'hairline scratch on the body (observe with 100x microscope)" ...blah blah..

icarus said:
"There is a 'hairline scratch on the body (observe with 100x microscope)" ...blah blah..
ya i encounter this " hairline scratch " too ... i suggest to the buyer to get brand new STRAIGHT from the factory !:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.