Really Really Free Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

tante

Jun 15, 2008
Hi,

Post-Museum (107+109 Rowell Rd) is having Really Really Free market on Sunday 18Jan09 from 2pm-8pm.

This is the Singapore chapter of the RRFM.

The very first Really Really Free Market Singapore event is happening in Post-Museum on Sunday 18 Jan 09, 2-8pm. Join us!

We are looking for people who have skills to share - photography, tarot card reading, hair cutting, tattooing, poetry writing, etc.

And of course, if you have stuff (books, cds, toys, food, etc) you want to give away, this is a perfect place to do it!

As this is our first attempt, please let us know (phone no 63963598) if you want to offer a service or give away stuff. This is so that we can anticipate the amount of space we'd need. Thanks.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=55373428641&ref=ts

From Wikipedia:
"The Really, Really Free Market (RRFM) movement is a non-hierarchical collective of individuals who form a temporary market based on an alternative gift economy. The RRFM movement aims to counteract capitalism in a non-reactionary way. It holds as a major goal to build a community based on sharing resources, caring for one another and improving the collective lives of all."

That is, nothing is for sale and everything is shared free at our events. Anyone with stuff or skills to share are welcome to, and if you find something you want, you're welcome to take it.

Come join in the building of a sharing and caring community!

Last edited:
Don't be silly. Singaporeans will not give away anything for free.

Just look at all the petty and small minded sellers in clubsnap classified ads, who are always complaining and look down on potential buyers who ask them for discounts. Such people already look down on buyers who try to bargain or low ball, what more give away their precious belongings to strangers? Don't be naive.

These selfish bastar.ds will spit in your face and ask you to fark off if you have no money to buy from them, trust me. And you expect such people to give away their possessions for free?

And waste time and petrol to load all those things that they want to give away free into their car, waste petrol and waste time to drive all the way to your location and lay them nicely on the ground and let people take them without paying?

I will be very honest with you, nobody will be so stupid.
Singaporeans are very kiasu and kiasi.

This kind of arty farty civic movements will only work in Europe and in those more cultured societies in the West. Singaporeans will only take and never give, or they will give you a bag full of old socks with holes in them at best, or some other useless things that they are prepared to throw away. And even then, don't expect them to waste time, petrol, and taxi fare to bring those things to you and lay them on the ground, waiting for people to come and take their junk. They have better things to do.

Such movements only work in western countries where there is a higher percentage of lobos, or homeless people who have all the time in the world to bum around and take part in such civic movements, seriously.

Look around you in singapore...can't you see from all those unsmiling and stuckup faces on the streets and MRT, that they are already so stressed out and flustered with their busy lives, trying to keep up with the rat race and thinking of means and ways to earn more money and squeeze every minute out of their fast paced existence to earn more and more money to survive in singapore? You think they care about such movements? Even if they do, most singaporeans are too lazy to burden themselves to drag all those junk to your location and spend almost the entire day there, wasting away their life and their precious weekend when they can spend it at home enjoying all their material possessions instead. Think about it from the singapore perspective, I am not bluffing you, I know singaporeans' mentality better than you.

Trust me, you will only get some junk and maybe people who want something but have nothing to offer. Why should they give their things to strangers for free when they can sell them on eBAy and earn money instead? They won't even give discounts to people who ask on eBay, you think they will give it away to strangers for free?!

And I can bet my bottom dollar that the people who attend this will be those with too much free time on their hands. Why? Because the majority of busy and selfish singaporeans know that there is no such thing as a free lunch and if there is anything free at this event, it is probably already intended to be destined for the rubbish bin in the first place, otherwise why should anyone in the right mind let their good possessions be picked up for free by strangers?

This kind of ang moh movement will only have two outcomes in singapore:

1) Many people will come and take, but not give.
2) Perhaps some may want to give something, but the lazy singaporean mentality will put them off because nobody in the right mind will want to waste time, transport cost, and energy to drag all those things they want to give, to your location. They want to do charity, but on their own lazy terms of 'zero effort' and not yours.

no one asked you for your opinion, keep it to yourself.

ts, seems like this shuld go under events and exhibitions..

Don't be silly. Singaporeans will not give away anything for free.

post truncated for obvious reasons

okay points noted. bitter much, though?

thread starter, I'll check my schedule and get in touch with you. I do have some stuff I want to give away, and seeing how the rag and bone man is out to rip me off, I figured I'll just give it away.

and even if I do not partake, all the best in your project of sorts.

To the user Kiasi

And it is the people with very narrow minded thinking that refuse to take a broader view, and believe that there maybe a few in the 4.5million population of singapore that are willing to give away things for free.
please, take a broad view. try encouraging, i maybe an idealistic teenager, but even i can see that although you maybe correct, if we all think like you a event like this has no chance of being a success.

good luck for your cause :)

Last edited:
Why does anyone have to keep their opinion to themselves in a forum where anyone can express an opinion? Aren't you also expressing an opinion about his opinion and you should keep that opinion to yourself, going by what you are advocating?

no one asked you for your opinion, keep it to yourself.

ts, seems like this shuld go under events and exhibitions..

cool it folks, this is 1 of the thread betta off free of personal opinions.

Lim Peh can give you a 15 minutes haircut for free.

Lim Peh haven't cut anyone's hair before. But will do the first one you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

:bigeyes:

Lim Peh can give you a 15 minutes haircut for free.

Lim Peh haven't cut anyone's hair before. But will do the first one you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Your 'Hair-Cut' got insurance coverage or not ??!! :bsmilie:

Inspired by a recent thread about self taught professional photographers, my boss once told me:

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE."

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Why does anyone have to keep their opinion to themselves in a forum where anyone can express an opinion? Aren't you also expressing an opinion about his opinion and you should keep that opinion to yourself, going by what you are advocating?

One is free to express it, but within the Terms and Condition of CS ie, be civil about it and used of vulgarity is not condoned. (kiasi has been given a warning for that). As senior member you should very well know it too :nono:

As this is our first attempt, please let us know (phone no 63963598) if you want to offer a service or give away stuff. This is so that we can anticipate the amount of space we'd need. Thanks.

TS already said first attempt.
Either support him or stay off this thread. There's really no need for snide remarks to hurt his efforts here.:)

Actually, I fully agree with you and am well aware of the need to express opinions in a civil manner. By questioning pfurr's comment, I am not endorsing kiasi's comment. I am just saying that a member should not be the one telling another member that he cannot express his opinions (as opposed to saying that he should be expressing his opinions in a more civil way).

As far as the manner of expression of opinions is concerned, such things are, as you have rightly alluded to, the domain of the moderators in the forum. I don't think that the manner in which pfurr expressed his/her opinion is very civil either. Both in my view, can do with a little more politeness :).

One is free to express it, but within the Terms and Condition of CS ie, be civil about it and used of vulgarity is not condoned. (kiasi has been given a warning for that). As senior member you should very well know it too :nono:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we live in a throw-away society. People prefer to throw stuffs away than to give them to someone as it is easy just to dump them in the bins.

I have picked up many junks thrown away by people and used them as props for still life photography.

What may be useless for one may be useful for the other.

I think we live in a throw-away society. People prefer to throw stuffs away than to give them to someone as it is easy just to dump them in the bins.

I have picked up many junks thrown away by people and used them as props for still life photography.

What may be useless for one may be useful for the other.

This I agree... :thumbsup:

mabbe RRFM can consider linking up wif some recycling campaign thingy. :think:

everyone is entitled to the freedom of speech,
AS LONG AS he doesn't insult another party.

in kiasi's post,
i believed he called Singaporeans *******.

my parents were married,
not sure about his though.
sorry if he is not a Singaporean,
but if u r,
won't u take offend too?

Please read post #14, I am not making any comment on his post.

everyone is entitled to the freedom of speech,
AS LONG AS he doesn't insult another party.

in kiasi's post,
i believed he called Singaporeans *******.

my parents were married,
not sure about his though.
sorry if he is not a Singaporean,
but if u r,
won't u take offend too?

Free does not mean cheapskate, it can be a form of advertising for a nobody. you never know if you will become lucky and become a star later for your talent in certain skills. At the end of the day, be open minded.

There are plenty of free things for now, free TV channel 5,8...free radio for people to enjoy. But you cannot control the content directly, however if you must..you pay for it. Clubsnap offer free forum posting service to you too isn't it?

If you guys have time to spare...offer free photo-taking service :) good for portrait collection and later post it online for people to download for free! Can train your portrait skills, why not?

Last edited:
There are plenty of free things for now, free TV channel 5,8...free radio for people to enjoy. But you cannot control the content directly, however if you must..you pay for it.

:what::what:

where got free.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.