really good compact camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagom

Jul 2, 2008
Hello!

I’ve finally made the decision to NOT buy a DSLR and to go for a compact camera. That for just one reason: I think I’m not the person who is keen on carrying a big and heavy camera while travelling, and I think that I will use a camera that I can have with me all the time more often. I guess I would be too lazy and leave the dslr „at home“ instead of carrying it with me.

Now I’m looking for a really good compact camera.

What I would like to photograph…

I will be travelling in India for 6 months. So I would like to take good landscape pictures, portraits (even at a „long“ distance) and photos in suboptimal conditions as bad light …

The size of the camera…

I don’t wan’t a dslr, doesn’t matter that the picture quality is better. Nor do I like a camera like a prosumer which is just very little smaller than a dslr. I’m looking for a compact camera. Doesn’t have to be an ultra compact camera, tough. But it shouldn’t be bigger as a canon g9 for instance…

How much money I could spend…

Money isn’t the main criteria. The most important ist hat the camera does suit my needs, I’m willing to pay „much“ if it’s worth the price.

Special wishes or needs…

I don’t nead as many pixels as possible, as I won’t print my pictures to posters. The main criteria is a good image quality, even at not perfect light.
I would like to have at least 4x optical zoom, better 5x or 6x.
It’s important that the camera is quick in use.

cameras that I’ve already considered.…

Uu, I really like the Canon Ixus 860 IS which my sister bought a half a year ago. I like the picture quality and the menu Canon offers, so until now I’ve mainly stuck to Canon with my research. But if another brand is really good, why not…

Ok, I hope that’s enough for the opening post…

Thank you!

Lagom

May wanna consider the new Fujifilm F60d or F100d.... compact and perform well...

Can consider the Panasonic TZ15, this camera is really design for traveler in mind. It have a 10 times zoom in a compact size. :)

Well, the Panasonix Lumix LX3 looks really tempting. It has most of the features you find in a DSLR and some even better like the 24-60mm f/2-2.8 lens which would cost a lot on a DSLR and that wide angle is really a boon when taking landscapes. What more with 720p HD video recording, that really seals the deal.

Last edited:
:thumbsup::thumbsup: for Lumix LX3 with the full manual that is the closest to high-end compact camera for prices below $750!!

Sony W300. :)

Hello!

Thank you for all the hints.

About the Lumix DMC-LX3EG: What's about the optical Zoom? have a look here: it's indicated that the optical zoom is 2.5, but there's something written about an "extra optical zoom". what's that??

Do you know any test or review of the camera?? I couldn't find any.

Lagom

Hi Lagom, the extra optical Zoom is to increase the length of the zoom from 2.5x to 5.5x by reducing the number of megapixels.;p

You can read the review from other user here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397000

What do you think of that? Is it useable? I don't really get it how it work, isn't it then just digital zoom? Or: If I don't choose the highest solution, then I can zoom 5.5x? How does that affect the picture quality?

...Doesn't anybody know the answer to my question? would be really grateful. :)

It's not that we don't know it... It's just that typing it out would take 10 times as long as finding the info yourself. We're just trying to make sure you don't get dependent on spoonfeeding. :)

What do you think of that? Is it useable? I don't really get it how it work, isn't it then just digital zoom? Or: If I don't choose the highest solution, then I can zoom 5.5x? How does that affect the picture quality?

Panasonic's Extra Zoom uses the central part of the image sensor only to produce a "zoom" image. It is abit different from Digital Zoom as it don't interpolate, however you would get a smaller image. The benefit is that you get the "extra" zoom with a smaller footprint & better focus & metering as compared to a later cropping in PS.

Hope it answer your question. :)

Thank you, Anson. So I can zoom with the extra zoom directly while taking the picture?

@ Rashkae: it's not about "Spoonfeeding". I can actually eat without any extern help. But the decision for a good camera isn't that easy! I am looking for a camera that doesn't let me down after a couple of photos. I am reading all night long reviews about cameras, study factsheets and so on. But nowhere until now I've found an exact information about extra optical zoom. Maybe I'm stupid, Maybe I'm blind, but I just didn't. So I decided to ask in a photo community. If you don't feel for answering my question, just let it be. that's ok and I can understand that... Of course it's not the funniest thing to answer to similar questions all day long. but as you seem to be calculating all the time you spend your last post must have been a waste of time...

Thank you anyway for all the help I receive in this forum!

Lagom, it will be best if you could lay your hands and try it on the display model. Why not try it at Comex at Suntec Convention Hall at the end of the month. (I think!!). Though you will have to fight with tons of people at Panasonic booth.. haha:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.