Really embarassing thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feinwerkbau

Deregistered
May 11, 2004
Pai Seh! Pai Seh!

It just occured to me that I have very little pictures of my significant other and myself.

I would like to capture all the small 'everyday' moments, little outings, little makans, little smiles ... you know, the little things that make up the really important things in life. I don't really want to hire a pro to shoot us as doing so would entail booking him or her for a very long period! :bigeyes:

How can I approach this project simply and spontaneously without ending up having typical tripod-mounted-I run back to camera after tripping self-timer typr memories? I was also thinking ... setting up a tripod would definitely limit the scope of pictures as doing so involves just one POV and setting. Can you imagine how non-spontaneous the pictures may look?

How you you do a project like this?

mini tripod? neo-print? think that unless you bother people to take for you... it's hard to get photos of just the 2 of you w/o a tripod... unless you keep going out with frens... and ask them to take pics of you 2...

Feinwerkbau said:
Pai Seh! Pai Seh!

It just occured to me that I have very little pictures of my significant other and myself.

I would like to capture all the small 'everyday' moments, little outings, little makans, little smiles ... you know, the little things that make up the really important things in life. I don't really want to hire a pro to shoot us as doing so would entail booking him or her for a very long period! :bigeyes:

How can I approach this project simply and spontaneously without ending up having typical tripod-mounted-I run back to camera after tripping self-timer typr memories? I was also thinking ... setting up a tripod would definitely limit the scope of pictures as doing so involves just one POV and setting. Can you imagine how non-spontaneous the pictures may look?

1. shoot each other
2. ask other ppl to shoot u both together
3. shoot yourselves together by handholding the camera urself (a digital camera with a tilt screen would be helpful here)

Hehe...I tried getting a friend, as well as some colleagues to shoot us ... let's just say we ended up not getting any shots! LOL!

Actually, this is really challenging ... I wonder if any other CS member here has thought of this scenario before. I mean, we are always the ones shooting, but we hardly ever get shot!

Feinwerkbau said:
Hehe...I tried getting a friend, as well as some colleagues to shoot us ... let's just say we ended up not getting any shots! LOL!

Actually, this is really challenging ... I wonder if any other CS member here has thought of this scenario before. I mean, we are always the ones shooting, but we hardly ever get shot!

when my wife and i travel on holiday, we shoot each other and get ppl we meet to shoot us together. so we invariably end up with lots of pics of ourselves! :)

ever since i sold my digicam with a flip out LCD (canon powershot G2) my wife and i shot less together, so certain equipment helps for me. its more fun when you are actually see yourself compose together.

i still shoot my wife when we go out, whatever camera is in my hand, she shoot me when she feels like it.

Just use a point and shoot, zoom out all the way and stick out your hand in front of you, snapping yourselves. Composition may not be perfect, but hey the moment is captured.

After awhile you'll be proficient enough to compose without looking at the LCD.

zaren said:
1. shoot each other
2. ask other ppl to shoot u both together
3. shoot yourselves together by handholding the camera urself (a digital camera with a tilt screen would be helpful here)

so far the best advice imho.. :)

esp #1, those small p&s will help a lot here, no need to bring big cams and move around the house...

shooting all these 'little' moments together ..... would suggest you find someone (friend or relative or even your kids if you have kids) and teach them how to use a camera

apart from that, you and your wife need to learn how to ignore the camera pointing in your direction

If you are talking about more than one or two shots at any one session, how about a camera with an infra red remote, a wide angle lens and a mini tripod. Set it up to cover the general area and then take a shot whenever you feel like it.

You will get more of the background rather than tightly posed shots, but it will be a more relaxed environment and you can always crop :)

Feinwerkbau said:
Pai Seh! Pai Seh!

Hey bro, thinking of starting another project already yeah? Buy a simple to use; read idiot proof, P&S and let everyone use it including your kids. You'll have hours of fun and able to get very natural shots.
BTW, how's your other "pet' project coming along? Get back to me on that will you?

I used to set my DSLR on interval timer.. (D2H, D2X) to shoot every 5-7 seconds.. and let it run for an hour or so.. sure.. tons of crap shots.. but occasionally you'll get the really memorable candid ones :)

get a 15mm wide heliar voigtlander lens and you can do self portrait without getting out of frame.

Master photoshop software. Take photos of each other and use photoshop to cut and paste together. ;) Just kidding.....;p

Erm. Did think about how to get spontaneous shots of me and my better half. Use to have the 300D with a remote and juz shoot but not very fruitful. In the end, everytime we are going for a wedding dinner or special occasions, setup tripod and shoot a couple of shots before leaving. Get better shots but very posed and not spontaneous.

Thinking of getting a point and shoot with longer zoom for my son to sniper shoot for us when we go for an outing. Any recommendations for a point and shoot that is quite idiot proof for this purpose. Perhaps one that double as one that as someone mentioned can flip the LCD screen so that we can take the pics ourselves.

shoot and photo stitch lor. :)

WOW! There are some really great replies here! Thanks!

It seems like there are 3 options:

1) Shoot yourself/SO extending own hands with P&S
2) Shoot yourself/SO with remote DSLR timed intervals or IR triggered
3) Get relatives/family/friends to shoot
4) Get a photog friend to shoot

1 sounds like a lot of fun, but most of the pix won'tt be that spontaneous

2 sounds like it will give the best results, but would incurr additional costs

3 - tried that, like I mentioned, we ended up not having any pictures! LOL! It was a cute time though!

4 sounds like the best option, but who is so free to shoot this kinda project?

Hey YQT, you know, this 'project' just popped into my mind as I was sitting down quietly last night after my wife came home. I don't mean to sound morbid, but I guess that with her recent major operation, it just struck me that should anything happen, there's hardly any pictures of us in our daily lives together, sharing for good and bad. The other project will have to wait till she's more settled; she's on 1 month MC right now.

Shoot video instead...... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.