Real Monk or Fake Monk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this guy from Sing?
Or Malaysia?
Or PRC?

If confirmed PRC maybe you can send an official complaint to the Chinese Embassy.

Have heard that PRCs are very frightened of what they will face within the PRC Embassy and what awaits them when they are sent back to China, if they are convicted of such crimes in Sing.

If you happen to meet the guy again and he is PRC, just telling him that you will do this which scare him terribly.

Is this guy from Sing?
Or Malaysia?
Or PRC?

If confirmed PRC maybe you can send an official complaint to the Chinese Embassy.

Have heard that PRCs are very frightened of what they will face within the PRC Embassy and what awaits them when they are sent back to China, if they are convicted of such crimes in Sing.

If you happen to meet the guy again and he is PRC, just telling him that you will do this which scare him terribly.
I am not sure abt their nationalities.

Ok, time to clear things up a little about Buddhist monks (the true Teravada monks).

1. Money
Monks aren't allowed to TOUCH money at all. If money is needed for the monastry, the monk will ask a helper (a non-monk) to LEGALLY organize a charity drive, with the money being entrusted to a committee. But a monk should NEVER go around personally asking/begging for money.

2. Food
Buddha himself lived off whatever the earth had to offer, fruits, vegetables, etc. Of course in this day and age it isn't possible to live off the earth. So monastrys will ASK YOUR PERMISSION IN ADVANCE whether your household would like to take part in donating food on a daily basis. If you agree, then the monastry will send one of their monks to your house, where he will just stand in front of your door quietly. If no one shows up within some time, he will quietly leave. No hassle, no noise, no drama. So those monks walking up to people and asking for things are WAY OFF THEIR CODE OF CONDUCT.

3. Vegetarian
Ahh, I love this part. Buddha basically said to take SUSTENANCE from WHATEVER is being offered. This means, eat for sustenance, NOT PLEASURE OR GLUTTON. So if the monk is being dumped some left overs of a pork stew, that's what he'll eat. NO WHERE IN BUDDHA'S TEACHINGS WILL YOU SEE A STRICT ORDER NOT TO EAT MEAT. HOWEVER, one is not to yearn, ask, or want to eat meat, or take part in ANYTHING that alludes to something getting killed. So much for tofu-based fake char siews, fake prawns, etc. Jeeezzz.

4. Music, Television, Theater, Cinemas, Comedy, Entertainment, etc.
These are ALL NO NOS. NO EXCEPTION WHATSOEVER.

The above are the more prominent general rules. The actual precepts are far far more detailed and stringent.

Hope this clears up some.

just ytd i saw a monk enjoying a foot massage in the massage parlor... seems like he does it all the time too.

monks cannot enjoy such pleasures of life? should complain..

in truth, its is more ugly to see real monks doing stuff outside of their practice instead of people pretending to be monks.

Last edited:
just ytd i saw a monk enjoying a foot massage in the massage parlor... seems like he does it all the time too.

monks cannot enjoy such pleasures of life? should complain..

in truth, its is more ugly to see real monks doing stuff outside of their practice instead of people pretending to be monks.

The brutally pragmatic aspect of Buddhism has foretold that the religion will disappear in 2500 years or so. No disillusions of grandeur here. Sadly for us, we are living in the tail end of this period.

So expect more wayward indiscretions.

4. Music, Television, Theater, Cinemas, Comedy, Entertainment, etc.
These are ALL NO NOS. NO EXCEPTION WHATSOEVER.

What about those erhu and dizi?

do note that vinaya (rule for monks) between different sect is different just as it is different between catholic, protestant and orthodox (not to mention the new branches)

vinaya is somehow adjusted as buddhism spread around.

vinaya practiced in srilanka, thailand, myanmar (burma), laos etc are similar to the original (theravada) - the one started from india, where monks goes around to collect alms (food), their main aim is to practice meditation, the emphasis is more on personal achievement.
vinaya practiced in china, taiwan, korea and japan are different where they emphasise is more on collective achievement, the institution/organisation, which is why the monks are vegetarian as they plant their own vegetables - cant really make them go and slaugther the livestock if they raise some right?
vinaya practiced in tibet is different than the original. Not so familiar with this so cannot comment much.

Thus theravada monks are not allowed to keep money, as they get their sustenance daily from the people. They are not allowed to work. I have not seen stray monks but I have seen one funnily enough in myanmar.

The problem is that people see and venerate their uniform. Without their robe, they are just like normal human. I would rather venerate their habits. Even someone don a robe but behave badly - they are not worthy of my respect

The monks referred to in this thread are con artist. I know because i tested on them. They only want money. If you give them a small change, they will take and go. Not even a thank you or a blessed prayed.

One approach me once in toa payoh, ask for money to buy food, so I say I bring pay for your food. Then I take him to nearby kopitiam and buy food for him. :)
Well this one sit down and eat, so I guess he really ask for food.
It was in the morning around 9 am.

If they ask me after 12 noon then depending on the robe - I know already which one is fake

The photos were printed in Wan Bao yesterday :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

wat about mobile phone, luxury car?

People do donate cars and vans etc to the monastery for general transport purposes (i.e., for every monk in the monastery).

As for mobile phones, these are usually entrusted to the helper (non-monk) for contact purposes.

What about those erhu and dizi?

Not supposed to make music, nor listen and derive pleasure from music.

That said, like Aryanto mentioned earlier, there are many variants of Buddhism that are different from the original one (Theravada). So I can't comment on the rest.

do note that vinaya (rule for monks) between different sect is different just as it is different between catholic, protestant and orthodox (not to mention the new branches)

vinaya is somehow adjusted as buddhism spread around.

vinaya practiced in srilanka, thailand, myanmar (burma), laos etc are similar to the original (theravada) - the one started from india, where monks goes around to collect alms (food), their main aim is to practice meditation, the emphasis is more on personal achievement.
vinaya practiced in china, taiwan, korea and japan are different where they emphasise is more on collective achievement, the institution/organisation, which is why the monks are vegetarian as they plant their own vegetables - cant really make them go and slaugther the livestock if they raise some right?
vinaya practiced in tibet is different than the original. Not so familiar with this so cannot comment much.

Thus theravada monks are not allowed to keep money, as they get their sustenance daily from the people. They are not allowed to work. I have not seen stray monks but I have seen one funnily enough in myanmar.

The problem is that people see and venerate their uniform. Without their robe, they are just like normal human. I would rather venerate their habits. Even someone don a robe but behave badly - they are not worthy of my respect

Well summarized. I have nothing against vegetarian practitioners. But those who do practice vegetarian on Buddhism grounds eating fake meat, well, that's just laughable.

And yes, I'm not at all surprised you see wayward monks in the places where Theravada is practiced mainstream. Simple maths really, the greater the sample size, the greater the chances of finding anomalies.

When coming across these wayward monks, just ignore and walkaway.

i am not been sarcastic. monks ask for food, they dont ask for money...yes, you can call police if you see a monk on the street carrying a bowl and asking for money.

however, you can go to temple or monastery and donate money. but on the street is no no, it is against their practice.

Well, because of Ren Ci "Buaya monk" cause everybody copy his cheating method

Status
Not open for further replies.