reagrding dry box and silica gel

curry crab

Nov 20, 2010
erm cause im still consider a newbie wanna get better camera but lower the budget on dry cabi but i cant find ppl selling away their dry cabi at my budget so i was thinking of using dry box instead. but how do i know how much silica gel must be used to keep the dry box at 40-50% humid and also about how many days do i need to change the gel. because i found a supplier selling safe orange silica gel but they are selling in bulks.

think about long term, think about convenient, getting a dry cabinet is not that expensive and cost effective even it is double your budget.

and using dry box with silica gel you can't control the humility level, just live with it if you can't afford a better solution. some people suggest open and close the box or place some water inside the box is just plain silly. might as well just pay more to get a dry cabinet save all the troubles and risks.

think about long term, think about convenient, getting a dry cabinet is not that expensive and cost effective even it is double your budget.

and using dry box with silica gel you can't control the humility level, just live with it if you can't afford a better solution. some people suggest open and close the box or place some water inside the box is just plain silly. might as well just pay more to get a dry cabinet save all the troubles and risks.

hmmm mayb i shall wait awhile longer to up my budget and get a dry cabi

If you're on a budget, just get a second hand DigiCabi DB-036 from the Buy/Sell forum page.
I'm sure you'll find a seller willing to let it go at $80.

i have a makeshift dry box that i put together using the following:

9L lock & lock container.
silica packets from moving.

the 9L lock & lock container cost me $ 20.
the silica gels were those i've saved from the movers.
i'm currently using about 4 big packets.

a hygrometer would be useful to get the humidity reading, but this will cost somewhere between $20 to $50 (haven't got one yet, so i don't have the exact price). should be available in hardware stores like homefix or d.i.y.

up to you to decide if it's worth it. i'm still short on the dry cabinet that i want to purchase, so i'm sticking with the box for the moment.

:dunno:

Just to share.. If you run out of silica gels, you may wanna try Thirsty Hippo.. Can be found easily at supermarkets.

Just to share.. If you run out of silica gels, you may wanna try Thirsty Hippo.. Can be found easily at supermarkets.

Thirsty hippo i heard very dry and expensive. Can use hw long per box??

think if you shoot everyday, you won't need a dry cabinet. Or place in aircon room . . . :)

Hi,

As i cant find a good place to put my dry cabi, i use the dry box instead. its so small and u can just put it almost anywhere or at one corner or ur room or even under ur bed lol.

very convenient. as for the silica gel thingy, dont have to think so much, just get a bottle which is quite big for just 5 bucks and thats it. dont have to pour a lot, for me i pour just the size of 2-3 50 cent coins. thats all. and the humility will goes down to 40-50, not a problem so far for me.

when its used up, just throw it away, and put new ones.. the 5 bucks of silica will last u a very long time. of coz if u always open ur dry box, u'll have to change the gel more often. hope the info helps.

Thirsty hippo i heard very dry and expensive. Can use hw long per box??

I nv measure the time before but should be able to last quite a while. Basically, the humidity needs to be controlled. If too dry, the grease (for the moveable parts) may dry up. You may also have problems with the rubber. If too humid, fungus grow. Nonetheless, fungus growth or drying of grease won't happen overnite. The best is use them frequently and once a while send your gears for servicing/maintenance.

hmmm mayb i shall wait awhile longer to up my budget and get a dry cabi

Good.. But dont want too long or you len may grow with "veg" and you will need to spend money to clean it. Not cheap.

hmm thn for the dry cabi how is it consider a good 1 that can last.

Hi,

As i cant find a good place to put my dry cabi, i use the dry box instead. its so small and u can just put it almost anywhere or at one corner or ur room or even under ur bed lol.

very convenient. as for the silica gel thingy, dont have to think so much, just get a bottle which is quite big for just 5 bucks and thats it. dont have to pour a lot, for me i pour just the size of 2-3 50 cent coins. thats all. and the humility will goes down to 40-50, not a problem so far for me.

when its used up, just throw it away, and put new ones.. the 5 bucks of silica will last u a very long time. of coz if u always open ur dry box, u'll have to change the gel more often. hope the info helps.

Agree with kenny888. I also use a dry box which came free with my camera. Cheaper option. Bought a 500g silica gel in a bottle at TK Foto (Funan) for $5. Just pour a little bit of silica gel into the pack will maintain the required humidity level.

i use a dry box for 6 month already so far no problem or fuss, i just replace the silica gel every 2 weeks and to keep it around 40-55% of humidity, i just need to fill the silica gel holder for 2/3 of the space(after u fill it it'll drop down to 40-45% humidity after a week it'll drop to 50-55% humidity after 2 weeks it'll go down to 60% humidity)

if it a small dry cabinet, you can put almost anywhere, on top the table or be a bedside table etc.

if it is budget issue and want to get later...... you are spending on, dry box + transport to get drybox + silica gel x how many months supply + your time and effort maintaining it + dry cabinet.

why don't just top it up get a dry cabinet straight away and save all the hassle?

if it a small dry cabinet, you can put almost anywhere, on top the table or be a bedside table etc.

if it is budget issue and want to get later...... you are spending on, dry box + transport to get drybox + silica gel x how many months supply + your time and effort maintaining it + dry cabinet.

why don't just top it up get a dry cabinet straight away and save all the hassle?

no offense bro, but transport, digi cabi also have to be tranported the first time u buy :bsmilie:, silica gel 1 bottle can last up to 5-6 months(i'm not the type to reheat the gel) and somewhat i can get it near my office area(if u're worried u wont have time to buy it u can buy 2-3 bottle in one go), time and effort i only spent 1-2 minutes replacing the silica gel every 2 weeks(i dun think that is a lot of time), i just don't see the hassle, just my experience & opinion

Last edited:
Maybe you can consider to buy a electric dry box that 100plus selling at Mustafa shopping mall which don't need any thirsty hippo or gel and won't take up space

hi guys, i'm thinking of buying some silica gel, and put it into a small ziplock bag, then dump into my camera bag... do u think it work? if i put inside a ziplock bag? or shall i buy the 'net' kinda bag to put silica gel?