Reaching towards the Sky


Status
Not open for further replies.

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
2 skyline shots. +1/3ev and resized. USM 100;1.0;0.0.
One without filter and the other with 85C Kodak Wratten.
Please give your opinions of the two.


Skyline 1, without filter


Skyline 2, with 85C Kodak Wratten filter
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
I presume you are asking for opinion on the colour balance differences between the 2 photos?

The second photo has toned down blue and green, which is expected behaviour of the 85C warming filter. The filter seems to be doing its job.

What were the camera settings for both pictures? Were these shot on film or on digital? If digital, what was the WB setting?

By the way, I tried to achieve the same effects by tweaking the colours on the first photo in phoroshop. Here's what I arrived at. I think it is pretty close to what the filter did. What do you think?

 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
Roy I think your version is more accurate to the original colours.
 

kman

New Member
Jul 12, 2004
71
0
0
KL, Singapore
www.pbase.com
Nice composition. Unusual colours for the skyline.

Technically, the result of the filter is subtle. A slight tinge of warmth and polarized effect.

Kman
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
roygoh said:
I presume you are asking for opinion on the colour balance differences between the 2 photos?

The second photo has toned down blue and green, which is expected behaviour of the 85C warming filter. The filter seems to be doing its job.

What were the camera settings for both pictures? Were these shot on film or on digital? If digital, what was the WB setting?

By the way, I tried to achieve the same effects by tweaking the colours on the first photo in phoroshop. Here's what I arrived at. I think it is pretty close to what the filter did. What do you think?


Roy,
Yes, I'm asking for opinions on the color balance differences for the 2 photos.

You did a good job with the photo in PhotoShop. The tweaking is really very close to the 85C. In fact I like your tweaked photo more than mine with the filter. The colors on the walls of the buildings are closer to life. What was your workflow in achieving the results, just a brief run thru', no need for details.

The photos were shot in digital. Shot in RAW, f3.5, 1/5sec, iso200, W/B-auto, multi pattern metering, programmed auto.

Thanks
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
jbma said:
Roy I think your version is more accurate to the original colours.
Agree with you, jbma

kman - thanks for you opinions
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
teerex said:
Roy,
Yes, I'm asking for opinions on the color balance differences for the 2 photos.

You did a good job with the photo in PhotoShop. The tweaking is really very close to the 85C. In fact I like your tweaked photo more than mine with the filter. The colors on the walls of the buildings are closer to life. What was your workflow in achieving the results, just a brief run thru', no need for details.

The photos were shot in digital. Shot in RAW, f3.5, 1/5sec, iso200, W/B-auto, multi pattern metering, programmed auto.

Thanks

Hi teerex,

Since you shot in RAW then I suppose the WB setting on camera does not matter anymore. However, what WB setting did you use when you convert the RAW images to jpeg? I am asking because the comparison is only meaningful if the WB setting in the conversion is identical for the 2 photos.

Here's a quick summary of what I did for the colour tweaking:

1. I copied and opened both your photos in photoshop.
2. I used the eye dropper to sample RGB values of 3 locations in the photo taken with the 85C. The 3 locations are: top and bottom of the OUB building. and the round pillar near the bottom of the building on the right (paiseh...dunno the name of the building). The RGB values are noted.
3. On the photo taken without the 85C, I adjusted the curves. By using the same reference points as reference, I adjusted the cuves for G and B channels until the RGB values of the 3 locations matches those of the photo taken with the 85C. Basically reducing the G and B values (same as warming effect). The R channel is very similar between the 2 photos, so I did not adjusts the curve for R channel.

I might have pulled the B curve a little more than what the 85C has done so the version I tweaked is marginally warmer than the one taken with the 85C, and it is more observable on the building on the right.

Glad you liked my version.

Thanks!

Roy
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
roygoh said:
Hi teerex,

Since you shot in RAW then I suppose the WB setting on camera does not matter anymore. However, what WB setting did you use when you convert the RAW images to jpeg? I am asking because the comparison is only meaningful if the WB setting in the conversion is identical for the 2 photos.

Glad you liked my version.

Thanks!

Roy
Roy,

Thanks for the summary of your workflow. Learnt something new from it, I'm a noob as far as tweeking is concerned.
That's what good about this forum. Can learn something new from the more experienced who are willing to share.

I did not do any adjustments to the WB. I have left the WB of both pictures as "unchanged" using Nikon View 6.2.2. In fact both phots are as is except for the USM and resizing.

BTW, Keven must have grown a lot by now. Is he still tending to the garden?

Thanks again for your tips.
teerex
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
nickmak said:
by the way... slight vignetting... evident on the top left...
Thanks for pointing out nickmak. But I don't realise it. Is that that darkened area?

Could be due to the kit lens.
 

nickmak

Senior Member
Apr 16, 2004
2,358
0
0
34
London, UK
www.pbase.com
yea... that darkish bit is vignetting... try stopping down a little... might get rid of it...
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
nickmak said:
yea... that darkish bit is vignetting... try stopping down a little... might get rid of it...

Thanks nickmak, appreciate it :thumbsup:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.