Re: Which Nikon speedlight to purchase?

whyekuen

Jan 9, 2010
Hi all

After reading up about speedlight, im still rather confused on which one to buy. I'm holding onto a D90. Would appreciate your kind advise????????

Thanks alot.:):)

whyekuen said:
Hi all

After reading up about speedlight, im still rather confused on which one to buy. I'm holding onto a D90. Would appreciate your kind advise????????

Just know what you need and what your budget is. So how much are you willing to spend for the flash?

About $500-$600

whyekuen said:
About $500-$600

Then you can get an SB-700 or SB-900. The SB-900 is a more powerful flash compared to the 700 but you might or might not need it.

Thanks alot bro

what do you wanna use the speedlight for?

I mean... what sort of situations?
(don't tell me "to light up my subject".... hehehe)

If you just want a camera mounted flash to fire once in a while SB700 is enough for most situations.

If you want to do off camera flash in the future, or use umbrellas or softboxes, go for the SB900.

with your budget think sb700 or sb900

if u just wanna try out flash maybe can try sb400? or other 3rd party flash =D

whyekuen said:
Hi all

Go for 900 if u need more benefit from build quality, mire coverage & more manual control. ;-)

Without knowing what you want to use the flash for (what sort of situation, what sort of photography) it is really difficult to zoomed down to what flash you might need.

Take note of the following,

1) Controls (buttons layout, ergonomic, etc)
2) Budget (you already have this, so no worries)
3) Weigh (SB900 is not exactly a light weigh flash, and your D90 is not exactly a light camera too).
4) Size of the flash, sometime smaller flash is more desirable. In the past, I am using a 430EX II for my camera, but nowaday I have settle for a 270EX which I find it good enough, small enough and light enough for whole day of shooting.

Also do look at 3rd party flashes such as the Yongnuo and Nissins. They are very good flash and very cheap too.

just get the best u can afford
better than buy and regret and sell and buy and regret and sell buy and regret and sell .....cycle goes on....

better than buy and regret and sell and buy and regret and sell buy and regret and sell .....cycle goes on....

Some time is the learning curve we need to pass through buy ,regret,sell , buy....

Hi all

I am using SB600, use to extra cash on ND filter ...

In theory... yes. But also don't forget this saying, "Only buy those that you need."

Like I said before, weight is a limiting fact too, not just budget. SB900 or SB700 are not very light in terms of bulk and weight... Sometime it would be good to go for lighter product so it will not put a strain on your hands...