Re-using Silica Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughingstation

Jan 23, 2004
I'm using Silica Gel (those small beans that changes from blue to red color) is there a way to reuse/dry them?

pls help. Thank you

You can put them in the oven or microwave to get them blue again. Can't remember how long it will take.

ortega said:
or put them in a wok and heat them up until they turn blue again

yap, i do likewise. :)

is it poisonous to heat in in a wok and use it again? can the wok still be used for cooking afterwards?

i never changed my silica gel for 3 yrs ;p :bsmilie:

maritimus831 said:
is it poisonous to heat in in a wok and use it again? can the wok still be used for cooking afterwards?
oh yes i am qt concern abt this also? will the container become poisonous after use? If i heat using a microwave oven, how long to heat? Will it melt?

laughingstation said:
oh yes i am qt concern abt this also? will the container become poisonous after use? If i heat using a microwave oven, how long to heat? Will it melt?

are you joking?:bsmilie:

At first I thought you were joking, until I saw you are the thread starter.

All the microwave/oven does, is to remove the "water" from the silica gel, just use low heat for a period of time, until the silica gel turns back to the original colour...;)

AFAIK, silica gel is not poisonous. But don't eat them. You can eat other things like peanuts or chocolate if you hungry :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

just fry 'em on the wok, till it turn blue....commonsense, wash the wok throughly lah...did that many times and my family still intact...;)

no need to do all that.
can buy ready made ECO made in Taiwan packs very cheap
these have silica gel inside a plastic case with built in electrical plugs
when the gel is red with moisture
just plug into any ac outlet for about 5 hours
it will dry out turn blue
you can return it to the container with photo stuff
disadvantage is you cannot control exact RH% as in a dry box

how to u cool it properly? i put it in my toaster to dry them, but after taking them out for a few mins, some of them changed colour already.

wahidkarim55 said:
just fry 'em on the wok, till it turn blue....commonsense, wash the wok throughly lah...did that many times and my family still intact...;)

still intact? of course!

50 generations down, see whether still intact.

Douglas

Hi all, I tried to dry my silica gel with a small frying pan on the stove on low fire...it did turn into a purplish hue from original pink but 80% of the gel turned milky white! Anybody come across this and is it still reusable? thanks!

laughingstation said:
I'm using Silica Gel (those small beans that changes from blue to red color) is there a way to reuse/dry them?

pls help. Thank you

Buy a dry cabinet lar .. solve all problems ... :devil:

yup,dry cabinet is a better investment.

During my NS, this is what my unit do, put the silca gel on a tray and spread them out, put them in a oven, heat them at 200 degree c, they should be so call "dry" within 45 mins

I was pondering about that.. I normally get some silica gel in my camera bag when I travel.. Instead of heating in the oven or frying it, can I put it into the dry-cabi to recycle? Does it really work?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
put inside the dry box to dry it again... time varies...

Status
Not open for further replies.