RE: Urgent Help Needed-shooting at club. Fuji Press 800 did the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
I would like to extend my thanks to all who replied to my earlier post regarding shooting in a club. The event was covered pretty successfully, though I didnt get a full roll of perfect pictures. At least 75% were acceptable. Here is an example of the brilliance of the Fuji Press 800. When exposed correctly, which wasn't difficult, it shows very little grain, definitely less than if I would have gotten from a slightly underexposed Fuji Superia 400. With the 800, there was normal ambient light even under 1st curtain flash (1/60s) . I shot the whole roll using f2.8 , which rendered some rather important subjects out of focus , I would thinkk f5.6 would be good for group shots. I wished I had used 1/30s shutter instead, to let in even more ambient lighting. SLow sync flash was challenging, as it was difficult to keep the background reasonable sharp without a tripod. The errors in shooting (25% of the shots) were due to my poor knowledge, but I must attribute the success of the rest to the brilliant Press 800. Here is an example shot.
mambo.txt

Glad you survive through. ;)
Keep shooting.

Sorry to crash in ah, I am quite a newbie.

Wat u mean is a fil of ISO400, u change the setting in the camera to make it believe its ISO800 izzit?
Sorry, I do not know what is the term called.
Btw, how much can u "fake" the camera to?
Meaning a ISO400 film, can I "fake" the camera to believe its an ISO1200?

What are the disadvantages if I "fake" it too much?
Thanks

Originally posted by markccm

Btw, how much can u "fake" the camera to?
Meaning a ISO400 film, can I "fake" the camera to believe its an ISO1200?

What are the disadvantages if I "fake" it too much?
Thanks

i think wat u mean is "pushing" the film speed. u can push a 400 film to 1600 or even higher to get faster shutter speeds but as a result u end up getting more grain. not so good for colour...but i kinda like it on BnW. :thumbsup:

conversely, u can "pull" the film speed to trick the camera into thinking its a slower film. result wld be stronger n perhaps more contrasty colours...depending on wat film u use.

of course, u haveta pay a bit more to develop pushed/pulled films cos the developing time is different.

go experiment!! :)

Originally posted by gnail
i think wat u mean is "pushing" the film speed. u can push a 400 film to 1600 or even higher to get faster shutter speeds but as a result u end up getting more grain. not so good for colour...but i kinda like it on BnW. :thumbsup:

conversely, u can "pull" the film speed to trick the camera into thinking its a slower film. result wld be stronger n perhaps more contrasty colours...depending on wat film u use.

of course, u haveta pay a bit more to develop pushed/pulled films cos the developing time is different.

go experiment!! :)
Thanks for the explaination.
So wat is the limit I can pull or push a film?
Lests say ISO200 can push till?

Status
Not open for further replies.