Re: Tamron SP AF24-135MM F/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc811

May 20, 2005
Understand that the mentioned len is a standard len. It can be used wide angle as well as telephoto. But is the Macro feature sharp enough to compare with those like Tamron SP AF90MM F/2.8 Di Macro? Or it is better used as a walk around len ? Thinking of getting one for travelling/walk around as well as macro taking. Any advice to a newbie. My camera is a Canon EOS350D. Thanks. :)

tc811 said:
Understand that the mentioned len is a standard len. It can be used wide angle as well as telephoto. But is the Macro feature sharp enough to compare with those like Tamron SP AF90MM F/2.8 Di Macro? Or it is better used as a walk around len ? Thinking of getting one for travelling/walk around as well as macro taking. Any advice to a newbie. My camera is a Canon EOS350D. Thanks. :)

it is a reasonable walk-about lens. just dat on a 350D, u 'lose' a bit on the WA end, after the 1.6x crop factor (gives u a view of abt 40mm).

but, as a macro lens, or more accurately, a lens with macro feature, this pales in comparison to the 90mm. the 24-135mm gives a 1:3.3 magnification, not a true 1:1 macro (as in the 90mm). read here.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=241&sort=7&cat=43&page=1

If range is not an issue for selecting your walkabout lens, can explore
SP AF28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

tc811 said:

Thanks for the advice. But anyway, priority is looking for a len for travelling use and landscape/scenery pics. Probably will get a separate macro len. Distance is between 28-135mm. :)

The 24-135 SP is an excellent walkabout lens. Good color and constrast. However, the main drawback is its heavy weight.

28-75 SP, though is a good fixed focus lens, might be slightly restrictive on the wide angle side given that you are using a 350.

So wat is your advice? Consider tat i'm new and dun expect to spend much on exp len before i'm better skilled to upgrade?

If you are not particular abt 3-party lenses, I would recommend you to try the Tamron 24-135. Get one 2nd hand from CS and try. If you don't like it, can always let it go again with little loss.

code said:
If you are not particular abt 3-party lenses, I would recommend you to try the Tamron 24-135. Get one 2nd hand from CS and try. If you don't like it, can always let it go again with little loss.

yup. there's 2 (IIRC) on sale in Buy/Sell. u might have to search for it cos the owners update their posts once in a while.

lens range like 24-135 and 28-105 are excellent travel-lens ranges. the newer 18-125 and 18-200 from sigma and tamron are only usable of DSLRs, unfortunately. so, if u get a film cam next time, these lenses won't fit.

How about Tamron 28-200mm? Is it also acceptable as a travel len? I heard it is lighter than the 24-105mm model.

tc811 said:
How about Tamron 28-200mm? Is it also acceptable as a travel len? I heard it is lighter than the 24-105mm model.

u mean this version?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=253&sort=7&cat=43&page=1

i used its predecessor.... lets just say i bought and sold dat lens in a week. looks like they improved on it! :bsmilie:
http://www.pcphotoreview.com/cat/digital-accessories/lenses/35mm-zoom/Tamron/PRD_102983_3128crx.aspx

tc811 said:
So based on the review, do u think its ok to get one becos of it's longer range? Thanks.

tc811 - end of the day, u must be comfortable using the lens. i'm not going to dig myself into a hole by telling u 'yeah. buy the lens, its good.. blah blah blah', only for u to scold me later when u find the lens not suitable. :embrass:

go to any camera shop with ur cam, and ask them nicely to allow u to try the lenses b4 buying. reviews are one thing. personally trying and using is another.

nightwolf75 said:
tc811 - end of the day, u must be comfortable using the lens. i'm not going to dig myself into a hole by telling u 'yeah. buy the lens, its good.. blah blah blah', only for u to scold me later when u find the lens not suitable. :embrass:

go to any camera shop with ur cam, and ask them nicely to allow u to try the lenses b4 buying. reviews are one thing. personally trying and using is another.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I used to own one and I have to say this is an excellent walkabout lens.
Sharper than my Tamron 28-200mm.
Contrast is better too.
Can't compare it with a real Macro lens though.
The zoom ring is a little tight, just like my 28-200mm.
Maybe it will loosen up after frequent usage.
That's about the only complaint I have about this lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.