Re: Review: Micro Disc White Balance Correction by Hercules

Odyssey-Boy

Oct 19, 2009
Review: Hercules Micro Disc White Balance Correction

Have you ever encountered any problems when shooting indoors? I guess the majority of you would have problems with the White Balance and sometimes due to the ambient light, you have pictures too orangey, or greenish. I am not surprised as throughout the time shooting when I shoot in indoor places such as a Birthday Party, or a dinner in a Restaurant, I would definitely have a White Balance issue.
So what do most of you guys do? The easiest way is to shoot pictures in raw, and correct the White Balance during Post Processing. That means, after shooting, you will still need to spend time at home to correct the White Balance. Post Processing may not be a fun thing to do especially if you have 100 to 1000 pictures to post process.
I didn’t enjoy the post processing part and I end up shooting as little as possible so when I am home, I don’t have so many pictures to post process, which therefore, I have missed many nice pictures which I have encountered.
Fortunately, I found a new product, the Micro Disc White Balance Correction. This product is similar to the CBL Lens White Balance Correction. As the sales person told me that I could save time on my post process, I immediately purchased it. In fact, after using it for the first 3 – 4 session, I felt happy as I did not have to spend time at home to post process the shots. All I need to do was to do a 3 minutes setup for the White Balance Correction and I am ready for a shoot, and when I am back home, I don’t have to waste much of precious time to do the editing.
Setting up the White Balance Correction was easy. All I need to do is to take a shot of the Micro Disc with Auto White Balance, and set the custom white balance in my camera. Yes, that is how simple it is, and I am ready to shoot with the correct accurate White Balance. Using this Micro Disc was simply a breeze!

Pictures of what it came with in the box
IMG_7755.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_7750.jpg

This is with just normal auto white balance. Thus, when shooting under this lighting, you will see the in correct white balance.

Now I take a shot of the Hercules Micro Disc White Balance Correction
IMG_7749.jpg

Then from the camera, set it to custom White Balance and I am ready to go.
IMG_7753.jpg

Now, with the help of this Hercules Micro Disc White Balance Correction, it certainly saved me lot's of time especially during the Post Processing at home.

hi bro,

may i know where you got this and for how much? i did contemplate to get the CBL Lens White Balance Correction but I was skeptical for the amount of money that I'm paying for it. If the Micro Disc is somewhat cheaper and does its job, I'd definitely consider it :)

Interesting! Is it similar to a grey card?

In addition, is there a reason for the grooves and holes in the disc and not a flat surface instead? My guess is for focusing for the white balance shot?

Regards
Matt

I've seen another brand of such white balance correction disc too (I think it's called ExpoDisc)... But from my understanding, it doesn't come cheap.

I've seen another brand of such white balance correction disc too (I think it's called ExpoDisc)... But from my understanding, it doesn't come cheap.

yup its call expodisc. 2nd hand about $150-180 if im not wrong. can google it on what it can do ;)

There is another brand call "ColorRight". It has a disc format type and a semi dome.

wow so there's so many types that can achieve the supposedly correct white balance. Any major differences in these brands? If not, why wouldn't the cheapers ones suffice?

this is almost the same for CBL, but not sure how prolite perform. I own a CBL for almost a year and the white balance tone was perfect after you set it on your cam.

i'm not pushing the sales for CBL, just an user whom had try this product.:embrass:

I found a similar one on amazon ! Maybe this is the place to buy from.

http://www.amazon.com/Prolite-Color-White-Balance-System/dp/B001MJRWXG

It's been some time ever since I have updated this Review.

I forgotten how much I paid for this Hercules Micro Disc White Balance Correction, but to be comfirm, it's around $60-80 range for a brand new set.

It's been some time ever since I have updated this Review.

I forgotten how much I paid for this Hercules Micro Disc White Balance Correction, but to be comfirm, it's around $60-80 range for a brand new set.

Hi Odyssey, after you have taken a shot of the Hercules Micro Disc White Balance Correction, how do you know the setting of custom white balance ?

Hi Odyssey, after you have taken a shot of the Hercules Micro Disc White Balance Correction, how do you know the setting of custom white balance ?

For Canon, after a snapshot, go to menu, look for custom white balance and select the picture. Then back to your main camera, go to white balance, select custom white balance and u r ready to go.

i just got my share of erratic white balance problem last sat when i shoot an event. there is 3 dressing rm and all using different light bulbs :sweat: so my white balance totally went amok! need to go back correct the white balance for each photos (nightmare!)

maybe i should invest in this device already :sweat:

i just got my share of erratic white balance problem last sat when i shoot an event. there is 3 dressing rm and all using different light bulbs :sweat: so my white balance totally went amok! need to go back correct the white balance for each photos (nightmare!)

maybe i should invest in this device already :sweat:

Dennis, u should.. Since this cost a fraction from the CBL one.. Haha..

ha odyssey boy, just wondering why you are reviewing so many hercules products recently

never heard of hercules products b4 you brought them into the reviews section hehe

Last edited:
Seems like one swell product. But i would still post process to save money and time to attach the product :)

Last edited:
ha odyssey boy, just wondering why you are reviewing so many hercules products recently

never heard of hercules products b4 you brought them into the reviews section hehe

I have been supporting Hercules since when they released their first product which is the belt clip, and the light modifiers for flash. So since now Hercules have been releasing new products and is affordable for a student like me, I create these reviews to share with everyone of what I've found, like this micro disc which is a cheaper alternative compared to the CBL Lens Correction, the Hercules Wireless Flash Trigger which can trigger a Nissin Di622 mark 1, which is a good news and not many people may know about it. And screen protectors which is slightly cheaper than the comprehended brand and at the same time offers better quality. The 14mm f/2.8 Samyang which is one sharp and nice lens compared to the 3k 14mm f/2.8L, and the wonderful 8mm fisheye which is something unique and affordable compared to the Tokina and Canon's fisheye which is much pricey in the price tags.

Thus, by starting these reviews, I would like to share with all photography enthusiasts on these lenses and accessories, and to give my personal experiences when using this product.

Dennis, u should.. Since this cost a fraction from the CBL one.. Haha..

Bro Odyssey-Boy, I have the similar white balance problem that u have mentioned and bought a ProDisk II about USD60. It came with color chart, the white semi transparent plastic and a Grey Card. The problem is the instruction is too simple may be it is simple but I still have not get it work.

I use Nikon D7K, I aim the len to the white balance plastic but first, i am not sure to tap the plastic to cover the len and shoot or keep the plastic at a distance. if in a distance then how far away is correct?

Second problem is that I was told to use Pre-set function in the Nikon white balance, shoot through the Whilte Balance Filter and there is no mention about what I need to do after.

Canon set up the same as Nikon? Please help out. If to go back to select the photo that is actually a blur photo - correct? Could please elaborate more on this step on, i really lost.

Thank you. :dunno::sweat:

Bro Odyssey-Boy, I have the similar white balance problem that u have mentioned and bought a ProDisk II about USD60. It came with color chart, the white semi transparent plastic and a Grey Card. The problem is the instruction is too simple may be it is simple but I still have not get it work.

I use Nikon D7K, I aim the len to the white balance plastic but first, i am not sure to tap the plastic to cover the len and shoot or keep the plastic at a distance. if in a distance then how far away is correct?

Second problem is that I was told to use Pre-set function in the Nikon white balance, shoot through the Whilte Balance Filter and there is no mention about what I need to do after.

Canon set up the same as Nikon? Please help out. If to go back to select the photo that is actually a blur photo - correct? Could please elaborate more on this step on, i really lost.

Thank you. :dunno::sweat:

go read ur d7000 manual again. starting from page 123