RE: Power tools. - BOSCH or BLACK & DECKER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Just wanted to know what you guys think of BOSCH and BLACK & DECKER power drills with hammer effect.

I am looking to get a hammer-action power drill (corded). There is currently an offer from Home-Fix.

BLACK & DECKER: 710W c/w free hand screw driver & wall plugs + 3 drill bits. ($149) I like this set as the drill looks better :sweatsm: . But the drawback is that it still uses a chuck key to lock in the drill bit.

BOSCH: 700W c/w free hand screw driver (angle adjustable + LED light at the tip). ($159) I like this set because it uses a quick release mechanism to lock in the bit. But the carrying case looks flimsy.

BOSCH is more well known in the field of power tools than BLACK & DECKER?

Comments, please. :)

I am using the black and decker one. Can't remember the model but its also chuck key. The hammer action is essntial to drill through concrete. Can go through concrete pretty fast.;)

Zplus said:
I am using the black and decker one. Can't remember the model but its also chuck key. The hammer action is essntial to drill through concrete. Can go through concrete pretty fast.;)
Yes, hammer action is a MUST.
The score now is 2-0 in favour of B&D.

Also, how often do we use it? Once a year? :)

Canew said:
Yes, hammer action is a MUST.
The score now is 2-0 in favour of B&D.

Also, how often do we use it? Once a year? :)

Yeah... thereabouts... ;p

After a while... it just sits there next to the rest of the tools... (hammer, wrench, angled wrench, spannaers, allen keys, black & decker tool box with the built in clamps...:bsmilie:)

Boys and their toys... hahaha....

B&D better since it uses chuck key. if uses the quick release one like Bosch, the drill bits will be more expensive and not easy to get from the hardware shop. Drill bits are easy to be damaged due to wear and tear. To get the whole range, normal bits will be more ecoomical.

Darn, a bit like choosing Camera brand and the Lenses. So another similar question of C or N.

Got $$$ buy both lor. addup only <300.

Actually i think the Japanese one is very very good - Ryobi...:thumbsup:
maybe should consider this one ....

Canonised said:
Actually i think the Japanese one is very very good - Ryobi...:thumbsup:
maybe should consider this one ....
RYOBI? Yeah, I've heard of it. But where can I see them, Canonised?

DeSwitch: How are the drill bits different for the two types of chuck?

Both the brands are consumer grade so don't expect them to last a life time, having said, I don't think there is much between them - what warranty is being offered?

Canew said:
Slava,

Here are the warranty status:
BLACK & DECKER - warranty of 2 years.
BOSCH - I am unsure.

Personally I would get the one with the longer warranty, although losing the chuck key is a real nuisance and I would lean towards the quick-release one.

cyber_m0nkey said:
Personally I would get the one with the longer warranty, although losing the chuck key is a real nuisance and I would lean towards the quick-release one.
Yes, but according to Deswitch, the quick release type utilises a more 'unique' bit. Will have to check it out. :)

Canew said:
RYOBI? Yeah, I've heard of it. But where can I see them, Canonised?

Geylang .... those hardware stalls. I see contractors choose Ryobi because they are heavy-duty. :thumbsup:
http://www.ryobitools.com/

if you're thinking of drilling into concrete i.e walls, get a BOSCH. I own a Black & Decker and sometimes it takes me ages to drill a hole in the wall.
Almost all contractors use either Bosch or Hitachi, never a Black & Decker.

I use a BOSCH too, no problem drilling thru concrete

For consumer use, I vote Bosch. I have one (SB251-1 I think) for a very long time already, since the eighties. No problems.

However, having said that, mine was made in Germany. Am not sure where the new models are made in. It would be wise to check it up. I bought a China cordless drill for a very cheap price. However, it cannot last!

If you willing to pay more, Makita will make a very good chioce.

In this instance, Black and Decker.

Try not to use those quick-lock mechanisms etc.. Tendency to wear out and screw up.. Even for rotary tools, those quick-locks (too allow changing of bits without the wrench) tend to wear out easily..
When using as a hammer drill or at near full power, I'd put my trust in simply tightening the chuck myself..

Sidez, the IRA uses B&D drills for their knee-capping sessions! Should trust them ay?

Update:

BLACK & DECKER Model: CD 70K. S$149 c/w free electric screwdriver & wall drill bits (c/w wall plugs - 102 pcs.) Warranty: 24 months.
BOSCH Model: PSB 700 RE. S$159 c/w free set of drill bits & ratchet set (c/w nut fittings). Warranty: 6 months.

Thanks to all that have commented. Never thought that choosing a drill set could be so much trouble. :confused:

Firefox said:
Sidez, the IRA uses B&D drills for their knee-capping sessions! Should trust them ay?
Wah, Firefox, too much information eh! Hahhahaa. :D

tony_teo said:
However, having said that, mine was made in Germany. Am not sure where the new models are made in.
The present BOSCH drill that I saw (PSB 700 RE) is made in Hungary.

tony_teo said:
I bought a China cordless drill for a very cheap price. However, it cannot last!
Ya, that is what the sales personnel at Home-Fix told me too. Use a few times - gone drill heaven liao. But they are very very cheap. Price ratio about 1:4.

Status
Not open for further replies.