Re: Pasir Ris _ Woodpecker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyder_Web16

Nov 7, 2005
Singapore
Got this shot of woodpecker at Pasir Ris....

woodpecker2.jpg

Image 01

woodpecker1.jpg

Image 02

woodpecker4.jpg

Image 03

D70 wif 70-300mm lens

Spyder_Web16 said:
Got this shot of woodpecker at Pasir Ris....

woodpecker2.jpg

Image 01

woodpecker1.jpg

Image 02

woodpecker4.jpg

Image 03

D70 wif 70-300mm lens

wah didnt noe that we got woody wood pecker here and so colourful. though oof but still good capture:)

haha #2 is really funny !

These are Common Flameback (Dinopium javanense). The male has a red crown (image #1) while the female has a black crown (image #2 and #3).

Now you know why the mirror attracted it :bsmilie: (just kidding!).

Good catch!:)

I stay in Pasir Ris too, and there're many of such woodpeckers and other small birds here. I've seen quite a number around my garden recently, but I didn't get the chance to take any of them. Too fast and too small.

skfoo said:
These are Common Flameback (Dinopium javanense). The male has a red crown (image #1) while the female has a black crown (image #2 and #3).

Now you know why the mirror attracted it :bsmilie: (just kidding!).

Good catch!:)

hi there,
i must have taken strange photos... a pair of Common Flameback nesting...
but both are red crown. ??
167178385_1fa45deabe.jpg

the nest hole is in the gap between the trunks.
167177678_66f38cb0be.jpg

Photos taken near holland road.

The subject is definitely nice, and the picture with the woodpecker attacking his own mirror image is absolutely a great moment to be captured - you don't see that everyday! (must have been big fun watching it :D ) But I think it's a big pity that the pictures aren't sharp. They would have been awesome when they were, but now they're missing something...

nice one :thumbsup: hmm.. must find time to tour around pasir park again ;)

Birds regularly admire themselves in fromt of mirrors, just like us humans. But a bird seeing a reflection of itself thinks that it is another bird confronting it. It thus becomes aggressive and try to peck at it. Check out the link below for an account of such behaviour...

http://besgroup.blogspot.com/2006/04/birds-and-glass-windows-2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.