RE: Lens for School Events

thunderflash

Mar 10, 2009
Hi all. I am a new D90 dslr user. Currently owning a 18-105mm kit lens. I am heading to china for a community service trip and will be shooting children. Hence, I am wondering whether the kit lens will be sufficient or are there any other cheap lens that you guys can recommend? I am also considering 50mm 1.8D, so will like to hear some comments. Thanks in advance ;)

Get the 50mm f1.8. If your budget permits, a flash e.g SB-600 will be useful too.

With those two, it should be enough to meet your requirements.

Get a 35mm. The 50mm focal length can be rather restrictive if you're shooting in a room. If you're really concerned about budget, the 50 will be fine.

Hi all. I am a new D90 dslr user. Currently owning a 18-105mm kit lens. I am heading to china for a community service trip and will be shooting children. Hence, I am wondering whether the kit lens will be sufficient or are there any other cheap lens that you guys can recommend? I am also considering 50mm 1.8D, so will like to hear some comments. Thanks in advance ;)

U might want to take AFS 35mmf1.8 DX into consideration also? i m afraid 50 on crop might be too tight for u indoors.. Coupled with a external flash unit will be very useful in low light conditions..

A flash would suffice

Actually your 18-105mm is good enough. The 50mm is just an extra but not necessary.

I think it would be wiser for the TS to look at his budget first. The 35mm F1.8 does cost more than the 50mm F1.8, and is a range covered by his 18-105mm VR. :)

I think it would be wiser for the TS to look at his budget first. The 35mm F1.8 does cost more than the 50mm F1.8, and is a range covered by his 18-105mm VR. :)

both ranges are covered by his 18-105, be it TS gets a 50mm or 35mm.

point is, what is he more comfortable in shooting with? since both 50mm and 35mm are at f/1.8...

hi thanks all for the prompt replies, much appreciated!

after looking at the comments, i am more inclined to get a flash, most probably a sb600. currently, i am still a student so having a tight budget, can't have everything :sweat:

any particular reason you need a dslr there?

unless you have a very good reason to bring the weight of a dslr system, a simple PNS will do if all you be doing is photographing people.

you be surprised how different the children reaction is when taken with PNS rather then a DSLR.

No need extra lens... just bring flash. get a good used SB800 (to cover the 105mm) or make do with SB600.

If pocket permits, buy SB900.

If you need tips to shooting school events with flash, pm me. :-}

Cheers!

I suggest you get a SB600. Lighter than a SB900, and your back and neck will thank you for it. And get or make a bounce card also.

35mm anyday.

No need extra lens... just bring flash. get a good used SB800 (to cover the 105mm) or make do with SB600.

If pocket permits, buy SB900.

If you need tips to shooting school events with flash, pm me. :-}

Cheers!

hi thanks for being so helpful, when i get a flash and can't figure out i will look for you haha ;)

I suggest you get a SB600. Lighter than a SB900, and your back and neck will thank you for it. And get or make a bounce card also.

ic, however i am concern with regard to the zoom coverage range. if budget allows (planning to work part time during my sch holiday period), do you think i should just straighta away invest in a sb900 instead of sb600 despite the heavier weight.

35mm anyday.
thanks for the advice, may want to get a flash first!

ic, however i am concern with regard to the zoom coverage range. if budget allows (planning to work part time during my sch holiday period), do you think i should just straighta away invest in a sb900 instead of sb600 despite the heavier weight.

If you are doing community service work there (and I applaud you for doing it), you will be up close and personal most of the time. SB600 will be enough.

BTW which part of china will you be headed? I've been a long time wanderer in china myself. 6 years already.

This lens should be alright. :)
Just get a flash for light compensation, if there is a need. ;)

maybe some sweets and gift for themso that they will show their innocent smile. :D