Re-introducing Tyersall House

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
I've posted this series some time back (I think?). But I decided to re-scan all the negs and do a little post-processing work on them. These shots were taken about a year back. I hear that the place no longer looks quite like what's in these pictures. Of all the local photo-treks I've been on, the trip to Tyersall House is one of the most memorable...

medium.jpg

Rest of the series here.

:thumbsup:

i've seen this series before.

mysteriously alluring place with a haunting charm, beckoning you deeper to explore it's long, colourful history (ok i'm making this up :bsmilie: )

but last i heard, this place was already been demolished, isn't it? :cry:

Thanks! Glad you like it. It was a really surreal. The surrounds were nothing but thick greenery, and as I stood on the balcony, I could feel the gentle breeze. Hard to use words to describe lah.

According to this thread, it hasn't been torn down, but renovated?

synapseman said:
Thanks! Glad you like it. It was a really surreal. The surrounds were nothing but thick greenery, and as I stood on the balcony, I could feel the gentle breeze. Hard to use words to describe lah.

According to this thread, it hasn't been torn down, but renovated?

"renovated"? gee.. i don't know if that's a good word or bad word for places like this.. :cry: :dunno:

The estate of ISTANA WOODNEUK had been acquired by S'pore govt.

It's now govt property.

Last been there in Jan. There was extensive landscaping works done to the estate last year. The reporter had mistaken the sounds of the landscaping works for the sound of demolition.

The small bungalow and shack near Holland Road had since been demolished sometime in September last year. The guardhouse's front had been painted white. All vegetation behind the guardhouse had been cleared. So were trees around the mansion.

Otherwise, the mansion remained untouched. But I had seen new surveyoring works inside the house. During my last 2 trips in, which I brought along someone, we had very close encounters with the surveyors. :sweat:

The last trip was quite 'memorable'... got trapped in the house for 4 hours due to rain. Had to use umbrella within the house.... on our way out, we got caught in rain again.

I'm not going back there anymore. I'm not going to take anyone inside anymore.

Glad to see you have got your gallery back online :thumbsup:

Istana Woodneuk was built around 1932, as a mansion for the Johor royal family.

Used by the Sultan when he came to Singapore. The main palace was in JB.

Was designed by Denis Santry of Swan & Maclaren.

Hi synapseman

Have been waiting for you to re-launch your online album and finally get to see your pictures again. Thanks for sharing!

redstone said:
Istana Woddneuk was built around 1932, as a mansion for the Johor royal family.

Used by the Sultan when he came to Singapore. The main palace was in JB.

Was designed by Denis Santry of Swan & Maclaren.

how u know the designer? u do some research?

cool! u really expert in the design field! besides photographs shooting

Eh I not expert in anything.... ;p :embrass:

The house leaks very badly in rain... At some places I actually had to open my umbrella. :sweatsm: :sweat:

Been a very long time already. Wonder what had happened to it...

I lost quite a lot of very nice shots from my last trip.

Was trapped in a creepy old mansion for 3 hours in a storm. :bsmilie:
However, due to the lighting, or rather the lack of, i was able to get some very nice 'haunting' feel shots... but.... :cry:

Many are gone.

I wanna go back again, but I hear got guard now. Not sure if true. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.