Re-importation for repaired items

Status
Not open for further replies.

regit

Dec 3, 2003
Singapore
Hi folks,

I just got off the phone with customs and found out that if you are an individual (and not a company), when you get something back from a repair in a overseas facility, you have to pay GST again?!?!? Surely, this is not right... or am I missing something here?

regit said:
Hi folks,

I just got off the phone with customs and found out that if you are an individual (and not a company), when you get something back from a repair in a overseas facility, you have to pay GST again?!?!? Surely, this is not right... or am I missing something here?

should ask the company who repair for you to buy insurance for your item at full value but declare as repair & state amount non taxable... thats normally what i do.

In cases of repaired items coming back to SGP, the taxable amount would be the spare parts replaced, repair labour charges and the transportation charges.

Hope this helps...

Thank you for the tips and advice. When sending the items, can I use Singpost, and is there any special documentation needed?

SnapSnap said:
In cases of repaired items coming back to SGP, the taxable amount would be the spare parts replaced, repair labour charges and the transportation charges.

Hope this helps...

transportation charges i dun think its GST taxable to the enduser... unless they write the invoice & list together...

regit said:
Thank you for the tips and advice. When sending the items, can I use Singpost, and is there any special documentation needed?

Up to you, but if its dedicated stuff, i dun trust Singpost, pay abit more get DHL, Fedex etc is better...

If company to company, even samples, u need to issue invoice, for personal, u have to declare items, and cost. If your items are fragile, i'd recommend u buy additional insurance coverage for the items.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Up to you, but if its dedicated stuff, i dun trust Singpost, pay abit more get DHL, Fedex etc is better...

If company to company, even samples, u need to issue invoice, for personal, u have to declare items, and cost. If your items are fragile, i'd recommend u buy additional insurance coverage for the items.

Thank you for the quick follow-up. Whichever courier I choose, I will definitely get insurance. Alas, the whole export/re-import thingy for non-busineses seems a little informal and Singpost (depending on their mood) seems to have every legal rights to impose additional GST...

They can just ask me, "did I register the items with Customs ..." ... and I'm done for :cry:

regit said:
Thank you for the quick follow-up. Whichever courier I choose, I will definitely get insurance. Alas, the whole export/re-import thingy for non-busineses seems a little informal and Singpost (depending on their mood) seems to have every legal rights to impose additional GST...

They can just ask me, "did I register the items with Customs ..." ... and I'm done for :cry:

huh? they ask u tat?

think normally, there should have an invoice accompanied, then if that amount over 400SGD then u have liable for GST tax. otherwise they will just ship to you no question asked. If over 400, they will give you a call, ask if you would make payment at the outlet upon collection or u would pay them cash when they deliver. This part, all courier services are the same. U dun have to register the items with Customs... i dun think its any of their problems as well...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
huh? they ask u tat?

think normally, there should have an invoice accompanied, then if that amount over 400SGD then u have liable for GST tax. otherwise they will just ship to you no question asked. If over 400, they will give you a call, ask if you would make payment at the outlet upon collection or u would pay them cash when they deliver. This part, all courier services are the same. U dun have to register the items with Customs... i dun think its any of their problems as well...

Indeed, the procedure of just importing something firstime is straight-forward. It is the re-importing bit that is a bit unclear... As to why "registration", here's what I've read:

http://www.customs.gov.sg/trade/trde5_8.html

After reading this, I called up Customs. It is then I realised that as an individual, GST is imposable on re-import goods again. I even ask the senario of having to send an item 10 times overseas for repair... the answer, 50% (in total) will be imposible ....

Status
Not open for further replies.