RE: How many keeper shots shold be expected from an AD pro wedding photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

armand78

Jun 30, 2004
coffin
www.trekshare.com
Hi Andreq, i have been reading this thread with interest(since i am a wedding photographer). From the initial sympathy for you, it has now really grown to a strong distaste for your frivoluous and inconsistent comments. It's little wonder the wedding professionals have refrained from replying to your posts. Honestly, i really do not have a slightest clue on the big deal to "senior member" to caring your situation? (i apologise to them in advance if the statement is disrespectful) So meaning a junior member who care doesn't count as much? And just because if the "senior members" command more respect in this forum and you have a stronger case to pursue?

Also, i know you have 10 years of experience in photography, so you can stop emphasizing on that point. I know you can wait for 24 hours or more to get that perfect sunset shot, and probably miss your flight, at the same time leaving your newly wedded wife alone in the plane. That is so noble for your photography passion. And i know you will demand to take group photos of your dear friends if the shot is not perfect(well i assume this is rare since you have 10 years of good photography experience). But honestly, how much do you know about wedding photography apart from being in your own wedding?

To the rest, sorry to bring this to a OT.

Almost logged out till I saw this.

Goodness, why you want to throw sarcasm at me, Armand78?

Why are you harping on the "senior members" part? I made the remark not to show juniors don't care. But those who replied are simply senior members. They are like Bros who empathize me.

It has nothing to do with discrimination on younger members. How come you interpreted this way?

Did I say junior members command less respect? No.

Did I keep EMPHASIZING 10 years of experience? No.

What's the big deal with 10? Some have 20, 30, 40 years. I'm stating it merely to show I have working knoweldge and practical experience in photography. How come you view it as if it's an arrogant statement?

Did I say I will wait 24 hours to possibly miss a flight? No.

Did I say I will leave my wife on the plane alone? No.

So how come all these? You are unhappy.

What's wrong with re-taking shots for friends even with 10 years' experience? You are doubting and implying I don't know how to take pics? Must re-takes always be about bad shots on the part of the photographer? You mean when you take pics, it's always One shot One kill? Wow, even Nat Geog photographers spend hundreds of rolls to get just 1 shot. I'm surprised also, cos wedding photographers also do re-enactments.

How much do I know about wedding photoraphy? Good enough to go into it. Everyone starts from somewhere. Thnk about when you started doing something new. Did anyone deride you with "How much you know about doing this?"

I feel like you feel insulted or threatened? Why?

cool out guys, no point getting in another debate.

so much debate on imaginary pics for what???

Much said, I'd like to come in peace. Emotions do run high sometimes when one is feeling off. Words and intentions may get misinterpreted.

If I have said something that was read more than I intended, I did apologize and I will do so again. Sorry.

If you are happy to note, I have nothing against wedding photographers in general and neither do I think it's easy. I've stated this clearly. I've also recommended some of the photographers here to my friends when they wanted to get married.

Just remember the Internet community and Singapore is small. It's not worth for us to bicker over misinterpreted words. We want to be friends who may one day cross paths.

I suggess you close or delete this thread (since you also think it's OT) and we will move on from here.

If you still think I belittle wedd photogs, read my earlier thots. Other than that, I can't help you. And I will move from here.

Last edited:

Actually, quite a nice story for lunch time. :bsmilie:

hey buddy ~ next time u got equipment to sell.. please first one contact me..

i been missing lots of deals lately..:cry:

sorry for the OT;p

this is to the TS and those who are going to get married or preparing

Normally for weddings i shoot. I return at least 300, up to around 500 of the so call "keeper" shots to my couples. And many times, they say wow so many photos, how come u all can take so many one?

For the higher price that you pay for, these photographers have their flavour/style to shoot, while the mid range are still brewing their flavour and of course the lowest on the ladder are basically still learning.

No matter wat range you paying for, if you have impt shots that u think u would want to have...during the meet up with your appointed photographer, things shud be spelled out clearly of your intentions. Otherwise you are giving the appointed photographer full use of his own creativity to document your big day.

Many of the high end photographers have the system of dual photographers as they make it a point to ask their clients to pay for it, while the mid range ones aren't able to have becoz of the fees they are paid. So hope that other consumers who are going to get married please understand that, expect what you can only afford to pay for. Dun always try to bargain for more photos, more discount, or free delivery.

the last thing a wedding couple shud do is to spoil the mood of your photographer or give him/her the impression that you are bad consumers. No matter how nice or skilful the photographer. There will be consequences on the final output becoz WE ALL don't simply rely on our equipments, but with feelings too.

To those who aren't affected
why are there always people wanting to kpo and ask the complaining TS to reveal the identity. If the same thing happen to u...would u like your name to be mentioned? If the TS make it a point to withhold the name...dun need to kpo wat...none of your business too. Please have respect for the 2 parties involve.

Im with Andreg on this one. The photographer screwed up his wedding with untimely out of focus shots (clearly implied via description). If that was my wedding and he shows me an attitude like "dun enlarge so big, no problem", i'd ask him to fly kite and not pay him. I really dun care what award he has or who he is.

Im with Andreg on this one. The photographer screwed up his wedding with untimely out of focus shots (clearly implied via description). If that was my wedding and he shows me an attitude like "dun enlarge so big, no problem", i'd ask him to fly kite and not pay him. I really dun care what award he has or who he is.

Lance, wedding photography is paid either on wedding day or upon collection of prints/dvd/cd.

You need to pay first before having a look at your pictures.

Yes I've already paid everything in full. Even if I didn't, I don't find it comfortable to demand discount. It wouldn't help anything much. Unless don't pay?! Not nice.

Never mind Xiao_shin. I'd like to let the matter rest. Have accepted it's over. Very soon, the pictures will be in cold storage in my cupboard anyway.

Yes I've already paid everything in full. Even if I didn't, I don't find it comfortable to demand discount. It wouldn't help anything much. Unless don't pay?! Not nice.

Never mind Xiao_shin. I'd like to let the matter rest. Have accepted it's over. Very soon, the pictures will be in cold storage in my cupboard anyway.

Andreq, even though the pic might have not met your expectation. There is no need to put them in cold storage. It is at worst still a documentation of the day event.

Maybe your misfortune will serve as a lesson for those looking to engage a wedding photographer in the future.

Lance, wedding photography is paid either on wedding day or upon collection of prints/dvd/cd.

You need to pay first before having a look at your pictures.

As a wedding photographer during film days upon collection of prints
only then I am paid because it was my preference.Believe me it help
cut down alot of fuss from couples.

Now times changed,wedding photographers expect partial or full payment
before commencement certainly can't blame couples for being fussy and
expect the best from the WP.

I am now out of this arena,just my 2cts worth:)

There are lessons to be learnt for all, even for photographers. Have a chat with your potential clients. Not that we can compromise on quality with the rest, but I guess it does pay to be more (extra) careful when the client is an experienced photographer himself/herself. This is not meant to be sarcastic, but I do think it reflects reality.

Take it easy, people.

Not naming the photographer is :thumbsup: ...

But so much complaining and explaining can be prevented by just posting a couple of images for the members here to fully understand the TS's frustration and leaving less doubts on his motives. :dunno:
I don't really see the problem of posting some images (with the ppl faces blurred out)

NPNT

I don't really see the problem of posting some images (with the ppl faces blurred out)

NPNT

The unedited photos are already so with faces blurred out where they shoudln't be...Post the originals u mean?

The answer remained unanswered. “How many keeper shots should be expected from an AD pro wedding photographer?” We have the same question in WPAS too. What should we recommend to our members?

In an unregulated market and business like wedding photography, there’s no “market practice” or standards. How many to give?
1) Some 50, well edited.
2) Some 300.
3) Some returned all images shot for the day.

Is returning 200 to 300 reasonable? With 50 to 100 well-edited.
Do not give the client everything or unedited images, complains are always on the bad ones.

The answer remained unanswered. “How many keeper shots should be expected from an AD pro wedding photographer?” We have the same question in WPAS too. What should we recommend to our members?

In an unregulated market and business like wedding photography, there’s no “market practice” or standards. How many to give?
1) Some 50, well edited.
2) Some 300.
3) Some returned all images shot for the day.

Is returning 200 to 300 reasonable? With 50 to 100 well-edited.
Do not give the client everything or unedited images, complains are always on the bad ones.

I agree with Winsonapm on it being an unregulated market. I am new with wedding photography but i do hope to start with paid pre-weddings soon. anyway, I don't think its a good idea to say "Hey i will give u 50 nice shots 100 so so ones etc " because it really depends how many shots where taken and how many keepers. i wouldn't want to promise my client 50 solid photos or give my cilent some shot that captured him/her weirdly. we cannot be so rigid. I believe in quality over quantity. Even 1 soild one is better than 200 crappy so so ones. of cos for the amount i am paying i hope to have a decent amount something which he(photographer and cilent should discuss beforehand like how so many friends have mentioned before.

don't so angry lah.. what's done is done. 10 years later can hold another 10 yr anni with dinner. i am sure your wife be so happy :p

In the contract with my AD wedding photographer last year, I would get minimum 25 edited photos for each hour of service engaged.
So at the end, I paid for 12 hours of service, and got back ~350 photos.

From the file name sequence.. rough estimate ~20% of the total shots are returned to me.

Its ok.. the AD story flows.. and every photo is solid quality! From the 350 photos, I selected ~90 for my album compilation. Overall, I am a happy customer.

I have a friend who got back more than 2000 unedited photos for his AD..
after 6 months.. he still struggles to select 100 for the album. :bsmilie:

So back to the question from TS: ~30 keeper shots per hours is sufficient.. that works out to be 1 good shot per 2 minutes!

I am closing this thread, which unfortunately the other ws close by the TS.

Please do not post complaint or thread not pertaining to "The Photo Biz Discussions"

ie to discuss on the business aspects of photography - weddings, events, freelancing and others.

Not to make use of this thread to complaint against photographers.

Such post belongs to KPT.

Future such posting will be deleted without notice

Status
Not open for further replies.