Re : Hi-Fi System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mission

May 29, 2004
Hi ! All

I am looking at hi-fi system reviews, like BOSE system,
anyone out there knows of any web reviews ?

Oh, and most people who know about hi-fi would advise you to steer clear of BOSE systems ;)

Most people who say steer clear of BOSE systems haven't used one extensively. I used to own one, I have to say it's good stuff, just a tad over-priced. :D

chaotic said:
Most people who say steer clear of BOSE systems haven't used one extensively. I used to own one, I have to say it's good stuff, just a tad over-priced. :D

Overpriced is the correct term. Just that you left out "and sounds like crap" at the end of that.

You can do much better sound wise (for the same money) with careful component matching/research.

But having said that, if you want the audio equivalent of a P&S, Bose is it.

Weblink: http://www.audioweb.com/

those small cubes & a sub woofer don't work for me in the hi-fi world. they just sounded too flat, not much sound stage.

however, if u intend to open a cd shop, those cubes & sub will be extremely useful in the shop setup. :)

Mission said:
Hi ! All

I am looking at hi-fi system reviews, like BOSE system,
anyone out there knows of any web reviews ?

My advice:
Select different tracks from you favourite CDs, go to listen to BOSE - you will CERTAINLY be impressed!
:nono: But not yet..
Go to some other shops selling similarly priced audio, listen to the same tracks. Now you go back to Bose again, you will be very surprised how different you will hear and feel.
Have fun.

talking about hi-fi, is there any hi-fi forum in s'pore? maybe can start one & also have a buy-sell section. :) anyone keen?

nightpiper said:
talking about hi-fi, is there any hi-fi forum in s'pore? maybe can start one & also have a buy-sell section. :) anyone keen?

A local Hi-Fi forum already exists:

www.echoloft.com

echoloft is for HI-FI.

xtremeplace.com is for HT.

anyway for HI-FI which is very subjective, your ears is the best judge. bring a few CD of your favourite tracks and listen to them. If you like the sound of BOSE, the get it. if you like the sound of SONY, then get the SONY or whatever ABC brand that you like.

eventually it is you yourself that is going to enjoy your Hi-Fi system.

if you are really into that...i think you should invest in a sound proof room too...cos listening boss system in the show room and in your flat is totally different...

Bose sounds reasonably good, but not when you factor in the cost. They are overpriced. For the same price, you can get a upper mid range separates hifi system that sounds way better. Of coz, if you get Bose at a very special price, then go for it. If you are after small and cute and something that looks good, go for it.

The other overpriced (and IMO sounds slightly inferior to Bose) is the Bang & Olufsen hifis. :devil:

Regards
CK

For those of you who think photography is an expensive hobby, go into The Adelphi (across from Peninsula Plaza / Funan Centre) and just step into *any* of the Hi-Fi shops there.

Ask for a demo.

Sit back and get your socks knocked off by the clarity, depth, richness, velvet-smooth sounds emanating from the speakers - if testing vocals, you may even look around to see if the singer is right there in the room, if testing instruments, you might be tempted to peek behind the curtains to see if the orchestra is hiding behind there.

Ask for the price list.

Fall over in a daze.

When you managed to get up, stagger to the door saying that the music sounded so good, that you can't make up your mind.

Darren said:
For those of you who think photography is an expensive hobby, go into The Adelphi (across from Peninsula Plaza / Funan Centre) and just step into *any* of the Hi-Fi shops there.

Ask for a demo.

Sit back and get your socks knocked off by the clarity, depth, richness, velvet-smooth sounds emanating from the speakers - if testing vocals, you may even look around to see if the singer is right there in the room, if testing instruments, you might be tempted to peek behind the curtains to see if the orchestra is hiding behind there.

Ask for the price list.

Fall over in a daze.

When you managed to get up, stagger to the door saying that the music sounded so good, that you can't make up your mind.

hahahaha! i always wanted to try, but get very intimidated by the lack of customers.

better go without my socks man. :bsmilie:

AJ23 said:
Darren, are you one of them that was mesmerized? ;)
Hahahah ... went in there once with a colleague who was into Hi-Fi big time to audition speakers ... absolutely the best I have ever heard ... the price? S$15,000 per pair, excluding stands.

Today, I make do and I only have a run-of-the-mill, basic, no-frills (CD, MD and tuner) Sony mini-compo set (albeit with wooden speakers) ... cost only S$599. ;p

The most important thing is to set a budget AND STICK TO IT. You can get a decent system for as little as $800. Sound quality improves as you pay more, but the law of diminishing returns cuts in (IMHO) at $15,000. I can hear a difference sound quality in systems costing above $15,000 but I am not willing to invest the extra money.

My current system would add up to a total value of $8000. I could go and spend more but I would rather buy CD's instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.