Re-fried french fries -- YUCKS

Teo

May 17, 2002
Visit site
A few occassions that I've came across in eateries such as food court, coffee shops, hawker centres selling western food, the french fries served has been re-fried.

The colour looks dull (not fresh), tastes hard and oily too. Sometimes is is even cold too..
Of course, I'll never go back to them again.

I'm not sure is this a "standard practice" or they just want to serve the poor quality food instead of throwing away when it turns cold?

Care to share your views or similiar experience?

A few occassions that I've came across in eateries such as food court, coffee shops, hawker centres selling western food, the french fries served has been re-fried.

The colour looks dull (not fresh), tastes hard and oily too. Sometimes is is even cold too..

I'm not sure is this a "standard practice" or they just want to serve the poor quality food instead of throwing away when it turns cold?

Re-fried french fries.......it will taste horrible lor.......:thumbsd:

Re-fried french fries.......it will taste horrible lor.......:thumbsd:

Anything refried will taste terrible! Not only terrible - UNHEALTHY X 100! If you ever order KFC through phone - ask for no-refried, say you can tell by the darker exterior. If you don't, chances are - they will give you refried chicken. Been-there-done-it... :thumbsd:

I think the standard of food quality has dropped dramatically, not only at hawker centres but also at most fast food chains.

The french fries are often served slightly warm, not piping-hot anymore. Unlike the past when the quality is better. Burgers are the same as well.

I think the standard of food quality has dropped dramatically, not only at hawker centres but also at most fast food chains.

The french fries are often served slightly warm, not piping-hot anymore. Unlike the past when the quality is better. Burgers are the same as well.

When i go Mac, i will ask for fries without salt, so that i can get it freshly fried. :bsmilie:

When i go Mac, i will ask for fries without salt, so that i can get it freshly fried. :bsmilie:

LOLZ Same tactic I use when I order Roti-prata. I always order them with onions (even those with eggs) - fresh all the time! Some prata stores already prepare plain pratas in advance, some with eggs too. Lucky I love onioned pratas - they tastes sweeter. :thumbsup:

Without salt? Never thought of before. Must try next time. ;)

The worst french fries I had was at the A&W fastfood chain at Clementi; That was closed down long time ago. The fries was cold and I never went back again. :bsmilie:

Nowadays hawkers are mostly profit oriented.. not like in the past where pple took up this profession for the passion of food/cooking or bcoz they have a talent for it..

erm....hello...if you look probably, not only fries....those chicken wings , chicken chops and stuffs also fried first then put on the tray. if customer wants and it is cold, they will dip it into the oil and "reheat".

this is very common. reason? if they fry frozen food whenever customer make an order, they will not make it in time, since frozen food will take longer time to cook. this is especially true in food court, where there are lot of peoples.

i saw this kind of stalls in so many places, coffee shops, food courts and even in hospital ( NUH). hello, hospital !! i wont buy from them one.

Last edited:
I gave up asking for less/no salt. Every time I ask for no salt, they still take the salt and shake it into the fries and then serve.

I gave up asking for less/no salt. Every time I ask for no salt, they still take the salt and shake it into the fries and then serve.

Aiyo, i will ask for a exhange lor....

Nowadays hawkers are mostly profit oriented.. not like in the past where pple took up this profession for the passion of food/cooking or bcoz they have a talent for it..

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Nowadays, you can see that most of the stalls are operated by foreigners, whose main objective is to make money and go back home sweet home with loads of cash inside their pockets. Gone are the days when you see our local hawkers trying to make a living by putting their hearts in the cooking.

I'm sure there will still be some, but the numbers are decreasing by the days. This is because these stalls are owned by hawkers whose age has caught up with them, and they have either retired or sub out their stalls to others, who obviously doen't know anything about food.

After touring Taipei, HsinChu and Tainan, I begin to understand that with the current policy of upgrading and increasing the rent, it is not going to help our food industry in Singapore. As compared to Taiwan, most of the hawkers own their stalls, and their livelihood depends on it. Thus they have no choice but to make their food really solid. Also, it depends on our younger generations too. Most of us are afraid of hardship, and only wanted to make as much money in the shortest possible time. Thus this scenario nowadays. Sad...:cry:

What the #*&%%, this afternoon went to Temasek Poly at Tampines, canteen at the computer study odered chicken chop ...served me with the lousy re-fried fries...arrrhhh ****.

Another stall in my blacklist.

sometimes is not re-fried
they reuse the oil many times ..

sometimes is not re-fried
they reuse the oil many times ..

That's what happen when you gotta deep fry stuff what. If they change oil so many times, oil will run out even faster.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Nowadays, you can see that most of the stalls are operated by foreigners, whose main objective is to make money and go back home sweet home with loads of cash inside their pockets. Gone are the days when you see our local hawkers trying to make a living by putting their hearts in the cooking.

I'm sure there will still be some, but the numbers are decreasing by the days. This is because these stalls are owned by hawkers whose age has caught up with them, and they have either retired or sub out their stalls to others, who obviously doen't know anything about food.

After touring Taipei, HsinChu and Tainan, I begin to understand that with the current policy of upgrading and increasing the rent, it is not going to help our food industry in Singapore. As compared to Taiwan, most of the hawkers own their stalls, and their livelihood depends on it. Thus they have no choice but to make their food really solid. Also, it depends on our younger generations too. Most of us are afraid of hardship, and only wanted to make as much money in the shortest possible time. Thus this scenario nowadays. Sad...:cry:

This is what I observe too, good food are getting harder to find each day. Now got good stall must eat more often, got many of my favourite stalls change operator, standard gone down the drain.

same here... slightly healthier too.. haha :bsmilie: