Re : food photography

chicken chop

May 1, 2006
Need some advise on food photography, I am using a 30mm lens but finds that i can't auto focus when i am too near the object. Would like to invest another lens :p should i invest in a 50mm or a 60mm with macro? I read from the Internet, lots of the food photographer is using 50 f1.4, can anyone enlighten me why so? Lastly anyone knows where can I buy a 8" or 12" Collapsible Reflector? Thanks in advance. :)

Need some advise on food photography, I am using a 30mm lens but finds that i can't auto focus when i am too near the object. Would like to invest another lens :p should i invest in a 50mm or a 60mm with macro? I read from the Internet, lots of the food photographer is using 50 f1.4, can anyone enlighten me why so? Lastly anyone knows where can I buy a 8" or 12" Collapsible Reflector? Thanks in advance. :)

check mass seller section, some of them stock the reflector.

how close do u want to get to the food.

check mass seller section, some of them stock the reflector.

how close do u want to get to the food.

Thanks will check the mass seller section.

Some time thevfood portion very small, therefore needs to get close.

you need to check the minimum focus distance of your lense. different lenses have different MFDs. If you going for close ups of the food (really small MFD), then you will need to buy macro lenses, but they do not come cheap.

people use 50mm F1.4 for (a) large aperture, so allow shooting in low-light conditions in certain restaurants without flash and (b) shallow depth of field, so as to focus on specific portions of the food, and let other portions fall out of focus.

It is still possible to shoot without flash in restaurants with low light, but you will need to push up your ISO, so for certain cameras, their engines or sensors may not be able to deal with the noise.

frankly speaking, a cheap 50mm F1.8 should be a pretty good enuf lens for food photography, but if you wanna do close up and macros... BBB !

That is quite a good clue to the 'problem' you are facing.
If you need to go closer than your current lens will allow, then you probably have to start looking at macro lenses that go to 1:2 or 1:1 reproduction ratio.

see the bottom of the lens for more information
for example:
D3S_5917-bottom.jpg

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/35mm-f18/D3S_5917-bottom.jpg
states that minimum focusing distance for this particular lens is about 0.3m (from sensor plane to subject).
If you want to focus closer, you'll want that value to be smaller.

That is quite a good clue to the 'problem' you are facing.
If you need to go closer than your current lens will allow, then you probably have to start looking at macro lenses that go to 1:2 or 1:1 reproduction ratio.

see the bottom of the lens for more information
for example:
D3S_5917-bottom.jpg

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/35mm-f18/D3S_5917-bottom.jpg
states that minimum focusing distance for this particular lens is about 0.3m (from sensor plane to subject).
If you want to focus closer, you'll want that value to be smaller.

Ok :) thanks