Re: FA31 or FA43

N-user

Mar 11, 2006
TPY
Hi Bro

Need some advise..... for taking BB shots and children shots at home... which will be a better choice?? In terms of IQ, colour, bokeh etc.... :dunno:

31 will be more practical given the relative small size of our HDB homes..of course if u live in a bigger house...then get both :p

Yamakasi said:
31 will be more practical given the relative small size of our HDB homes..of course if u live in a bigger house...then get both :p

U wont be wrong if u get the 3 princess 31.43.77 ;)

U wont be wrong if u get the 3 princess 31.43.77 ;)

haaaa if I stay in big house and got the $$$..... will married the 3 princess and their sister and their cousin...even the mother.... :bsmilie:.... but no lar, just some poor old HDB heartlander... :cry:

I suggest you to start w/ something like a DA35/2.4 and see how you like it. Better don't jump to a lens like FA31. I agree it's a very good lens, fantastic actually. But if you use it like a cheap kit lens, it'd give you results like from a cheap kit lens. A lot guys bought the FA31 but ended up regret 'cause they didn't see much improvement in the photos they took.

And the plastic DA35/2.4 can do wonder if you use it well, more than enough for capturing photos of your beautiful kids :)

Last edited:
I suggest you to start w/ something like a DA35/2.4 and see how you like it. Better don't jump to a lens like FA31. I agree it's a very good lens, fantastic actually. But if you use it like a cheap kit lens, it'd give you results like from a cheap kit lens. A lot guys bought the FA31 but ended up regret 'cause they didn't see much improvement in the photos they took.

And the plastic DA35/2.4 can do wonder if you use it well, more than enough for capturing photos of your beautiful kids :)

Thanks for advise Bro... :)

fengwei said:

I agreed with bro fw...i started off with da35 f2.4 and it is a gd lens.

I second this.

Another option is the beautiful 40mm f/2.8 XS which is so small. You'd probably keep it even if you get a 31mm or 43mm later on anyways. :)

I second this.

Another option is the beautiful 40mm f/2.8 XS which is so small. You'd probably keep it even if you get a 31mm or 43mm later on anyways. :)

V.good advice.
This has been my observation too.
Some guys, just start off too agressively and buy lots of expensive stuff.
Then 'photos don't improve', they become very bitter.

Just start w/ the tested and proven and more affordable lenses.
DA35, DA50, 40XS, tamron 17-50, etc
Move on when you are more ready.

Last edited:
pinholecam said:
V.good advice.
This has been my observation too.
Some guys, just start off too agressively and buy lots of expensive stuff.
Then 'photos don't improve', they become very bitter.

Am quite junior here but i would like to share my little thoughts too...da35 da50 da40xs actually is not lousy lens imho. I used da35 and da40xs b4 and pics quality is there good. I still keep my da40xs cos it is so compact i love it. The only thing is the built quality but for me compare to other c or n budget 50mm...i guess ours is better built. Jus my opinion and 2 cts worth....and i learn alot here in pentax forum. Thx bros cheers

Am quite junior here but i would like to share my little thoughts too...da35 da50 da40xs actually is not lousy lens imho. I used da35 and da40xs b4 and pics quality is there good. I still keep my da40xs cos it is so compact i love it. The only thing is the built quality but for me compare to other c or n budget 50mm...i guess ours is better built. Jus my opinion and 2 cts worth....and i learn alot here in pentax forum. Thx bros cheers

Those C & N cheap 50mms? Can only look at photos taken with them (pretty good). Better not touch or look at the lens itself. :D
Seems to be made from plastic recycled from my daughter's toys.
But to be fair, they are cheap.

The DA un-limited primes are good indeed.

My most expensive lens currently is the 10-17mm fisheye at about $580 or so from HK (I actually paid $700 or so for the Sigma 10-20 but that was retired and replaced by the second-hand Tamron 10-24 that I use now).. Everytime I see L lens prices my heart breaks. :bsmilie:

Those C & N cheap 50mms? Can only look at photos taken with them (pretty good). Better not touch or look at the lens itself. :D
Seems to be made from plastic recycled from my daughter's toys.
But to be fair, they are cheap.

The DA un-limited primes are good indeed.
Build quality aside, I think the Canon version also has minor bokeh issues. IIRC the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II has 5 blades (which isn't horrible but it can be distracting at times).

Thanks bro for all the great advise.... ya, looking at my skill and usage.... FA limited lens is good but dont make sense to get it right now..... so I got the 40XS... ;p... actually also looking at the DA 40, looks better lar.... but was told this 40XS better.... and errr..... got poison and got the DA70 also... :confused:

N-user said:
Thanks bro for all the great advise.... ya, looking at my skill and usage.... FA limited lens is good but dont make sense to get it right now..... so I got the 40XS... ;p... actually also looking at the DA 40, looks better lar.... but was told this 40XS better.... and errr..... got poison and got the DA70 also... :confused:

Da70 is good too. I used it b4. Compact and nice. Pentax really good in prime lens...design and quality...thumbs up

Lucky never got poisoned by the FA Limiteds. FA31, FA43, FA77. But now missing the DA15, DA21.

Last edited:
Lucky never got poisoned by the FA Limiteds. FA31, FA43, FA77. But now missing the DA15, DA21.

haaa slowly lar bro... might get a 10-20 or 12-24 if can find time to do some landscape shots.... know a lot of Masters here.... can get plenty of advise... ;)

haha..if like tat..me poisoned deep deep liao..i got all these 5 primes u mentioned :p

Those with FA 31 please post some poison here since somebody is short here hahahaha

like tis?

6411442323_e141e74a1e_z.jpg