Re: Expected Salary for a photographer???

foreveryoung87

Jul 25, 2013
Singapore
Hi everyone!

I really need do need some advice from the pros or maybe those who have been in this industry for many years.

Just wondering what is the market rate now for a photographer?

I'm just having some trouble writing down my expected salary for a job interview.... :(

I'm a fresh grad in media, and I do have 2years of freelance photography experience on my own. I have not work in a photography company before and I wanna get into this industry to gain my experience.

I hope i could get some help from you guys... Really appreciated alot... =)

cheers

Please read the many threads and similar questions in the "The Photo Biz" section. That's what it's there for.

Also, do a google search for "singapore photographer salary"

If you struggled to even do the basic google search (where the numbers are clearly listed), or did not even search the many job sites for the salary info there (logical step, right?), I don't think you have the resourcefulness it takes to make it in this industry.

Please read the many threads and similar questions in the "The Photo Biz" section. That's what it's there for.

Also, do a google search for "singapore photographer salary"

If you struggled to even do the basic google search (where the numbers are clearly listed), or did not even search the many job sites for the salary info there (logical step, right?), I don't think you have the resourcefulness it takes to make it in this industry.

Sorry bro, I wasn't sure that there are similar question in the "The Photo Biz" section.

I did some google search or job site search before I even post the question here.

The prob right now is I face lots of diff market rate and that's why I'm here to post this question as part of my research. I'm just trying to ask or get some help from the pros here like you who have been in this industry for many years.

Sorry bro, I wasn't sure that there are similar question in the "The Photo Biz" section.

I did some google search or job site search before I even post the question here.

The prob right now is I face lots of diff market rate and that's why I'm here to post this question as part of my research. I'm just trying to ask or get some help from the pros here like you who have been in this industry for many years.

With zero portfolio, etc? Expect the lower end of the market rate, around 1.6k if you're lucky. And those will be the groupon-style all day shoots where you stand in the sun and shoot 10+ couples in the same poses, same location, day in, day out.

Browsing the ads on Services Wanted may give you a ballpark range to work with.

One good way is to leave the expected salary blank, or put negotiable, or just dump in a 1.5k then make it clear that that price is negotiable.

If you don't really have a portforlio and/or experience, don't worry that your company will undercut you, that is because you can work cheap for a couple of years, built up your reputation and portforlio before jumping to a new job or your own company. During interview, when the interviewer asked you what to you expect for your salary, just tell them truthfully that you could expect their rate if they offer you the job.

Hi everyone!

I really need do need some advice from the pros or maybe those who have been in this industry for many years.

I'm just having some trouble writing down my expected salary for a job interview.... :(

I'm a fresh grad in media, and I do have 2years of freelance photography experience on my own. I have not work in a photography company before and I wanna get into this industry to gain my experience.

cheers
Since you already in the industry for two years, are you in any trade associations right now?

if no, please consider join the trade associations, you will able to learn from professionals who are in the industry, attend courses, seminars and workshops, networking with peers, seek mentorships etc, where the right and useful informations available to members only.

hope this help.

The rates range greatly depending on who you work for and where.

Full time vacancies are not a lot. And of course even lesser for the higher paying ones.

I have nothing else to say for staff photographers coz it's a salaried job with the same restrictions and politics like other jobs and not much to learn in the areas of business.

It is quite sad to read that fresh grads have no idea how much they are going to earn in this line. You need to wake up and so does your school.

The prob right now is I face lots of diff market rate and that's why I'm here to post this question as part of my research.

If you doubt your own ability, just use the lowest figure you have found out.

Otherwise, it is simply a case of selling yourself.

I think the point many are raising here is that if you have to ask this question, then you clearly have a problem arguing for a premium for yourself.

Hi everyone!

cheers

5k per month?

5k per month?

69836.gif

Hi everyone!

cheers

It has a huge range... I would think starting salary would be about $1600-$2000... anything more, you will need to demonstrate your "selling point".

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Hart

So sad...... lol

Better to drive taxi

Most taxi drivers are able to drive safely and provide a reasonably pleasant journey, BUT not all photographers who are charging a fee is able to produce reasonable results hor...:)

Had for a photographer related job interview before at some company (not those event, wedding company etc). The starting paid ard $1900 the most.

And although job title is ".... photographer", u will not be doing only photography work in the company. Almost same every jobs, need to multi-task.

At the start, yeah. But photography has growth potential. Driving a taxi is self-limiting.

Says who. It's up to the individual. Some cab drivers I've spoken to actually have businesses on the side. And they drive for fun

Most taxi drivers are able to drive safely and provide a reasonably pleasant journey, BUT not all photographers who are charging a fee is able to produce reasonable results hor...:)

If can't produce results then I guess it's a matter of time before they're out of the market right.

With due respect, I believe everyone in their trade or profession long enough should be able to deliver at least minimum expectations.

Thank you all for your response and feedback. I do appreciate all your advice and will take special note of them.

FYI:

I do have a solid portfolio, is just the working experience that i really lack of.