Re-cycling Silica Gel - LIVE DEMO!!!


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2004
116
0
0
42
Singapore
#1
Hi all at Clubsnap! For those of you who are asking questions about how to dry silica gel, whether with oven/microwave/hair dryer etc (i'm also one of those who want to know), today I'm putting up a LIVE SHOW on HOW TO DRY YOUR WONDERFUL PURPLE LITTLE BEADS~ so sit up and watch me!!!

METHOD 1: Hairdryer
I tried with hairdryer, but took me 15 minutes to dry a little pan! My hand nearly got cooked whilst holding the dryer and nearly fell asleep waiting for the pink to turn blue.

Conclusion:
Not a very effective method, unless you have taken 1 week leave to do just that.

METHOD 2: Frying Pan



I bought this mini frying pan to fry omelettes for breakfast, but have to give it up cos needed the gel urgently...the very last bead has turned pink on me!!! You can get a larger, shallow pan if you want, choose the biggest fire stove, pour in just enough to cover the base (not too much, muz be patient!!!) and put a slow fire on and leave it. You may want to stir/flip the pan occasionally, acting like a famous chef flipping prata.



If the fire is too hot too fast, beads turn MILKY (don't ask me why cos i donno)



After 99% has turned blue, I pour them onto a big plastic tray for cooling. You may like to put those wired stand below. I think an aluminium/metal tray can cool faster, cos for my plastic one, by the time the beads are cooled, 20% have turned back pink!! *SHEEEESH but never mind.



TADA!!!!! Here's the before and after result. Overall it looks blue, but becos of my slow drying process 20-30% beads are either transparent/milky/purple. But overall still look good for me la! Okie dats all for today!! Feel free to add any tips/tricks you may have!
 

slaam

New Member
Aug 29, 2004
1,548
0
0
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
#2
NICE!
best method i have found is to keep it in an glass jar in an oven at 60 deg for a few hours
as the key is slow heat
I think the sillica gel might release toxic fumes if heated too hot.
and you shld keep it in a closed jar when it cools (can lightly close else hard to open when cold)
cos when it cools down it will absorb water again

btw anyone heard that using thirsty hippo type stuff is bad for cameras?
http://www.totechamerica.com/html/index_optics.php

I use it leh..
 

Jul 18, 2004
116
0
0
42
Singapore
#3
Hi Slaam,

Yup it emits a funny smell when i'm frying it, so those interested to try this should keep the fire low and open all windows to allow ventilation, and stand far from it.. I went to mop the floor when frying it so I dont stand there and inhale whatever's emitted!! ^_^

Yah I tried putting it into a jar for it to cool, but it got all steamy (cos its still very hot) and start to absorb all the water vapour again before I can say SILICA!!! what to do???

And yup, I've tried using the mini size hungry hippos from $1 shops, its good, but you can forget to change it when all became flooded with liquid and thats a bad thing... and also there's a danger of spilling it in the dry box!!! Guess silica gel is dry and safe lor...
 

slaam

New Member
Aug 29, 2004
1,548
0
0
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
#4
I am trying to not use an electric coil to heat it cos electrical heating devices waste alot of energy but then have you seen this 'eco-dehumidifier' thing? its jus silica in an plastic case with a heating element in it anyone got instructions for that?
I was lucky to have a drying oven set forever at 65 deg so I know that works best.
my next idea but haven't try is like to double boil it.
haha put in a glass jar and put in a pot of boiling water. after turn blue then close the cap almost completely .. that should stop it turning pink but dunno must boil how long..
 

Feb 22, 2005
817
0
0
north
#5
hey try putting the blue silica in a plastic bottle and then stuff the bottle with news paper to prevent too much moisture from going in. Tried using wraps but condensation occurs which shows that we need to let the moisture get out to obtain a good effect
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#6
To recycle Silica Gel, just put Silica Gel on electronics Dry Box for 1 or 2 days. Low Humidity setting (<20%RH) also good to bring back the blue colour of Silica Gel. But make sure that in low humidity (<20%RH) the electronics dry cab is only for drying up Silica Gel, since low humidity could dried the grease on camera or lenses.

Regards,
Arto.
 

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#7
for me I simply pour used silica gel on metal plate, put in microwave 10s and that's it before putting back to use on box. not as troublesome as all above mentioned.
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#8
dominator said:
for me I simply pour used silica gel on metal plate, put in microwave 10s and that's it before putting back to use on box. not as troublesome as all above mentioned.
I did try this before and same thing happend like fried the Silica Gel method. You need to cool down the Silica Gel first prior to use. I think, if you put it while it hot, it will release some humid to the box.

Put on the electronic dry cab no need to cool it down.

Regards,
Arto.
 

Jul 12, 2005
102
0
0
#9
dominator said:
for me I simply pour used silica gel on metal plate, put in microwave 10s and that's it before putting back to use on box. not as troublesome as all above mentioned.
eh... but if i never remember wrongly, metal items cannot be placed in the microwave or else will cause sparks and spoil your microwave...
 

Jul 18, 2004
116
0
0
42
Singapore
#10
I thought metal (fork/plate etc) put inside microwave will EXPLODE one??? Chinese drama serials always show one leh!!!! :eek: Maybe use microwave-safe bowl instead? :sweat: ...and also the fumes may be poisonous leh....won't dare to microwave food liao...
OK! I shall buy an oven tomorrow specially for frying my purple beads!!!! ^_^
 

Feb 22, 2002
431
0
16
31
singapore
Visit site
#11
Artosoft said:
To recycle Silica Gel, just put Silica Gel on electronics Dry Box for 1 or 2 days. Low Humidity setting (<20%RH) also good to bring back the blue colour of Silica Gel. But make sure that in low humidity (<20%RH) the electronics dry cab is only for drying up Silica Gel, since low humidity could dried the grease on camera or lenses.

Regards,
Arto.

but for this method you either need to remove all your stuff from the dry box and wait for 48 hrs for the silica gel to turn blue again. i think the microwave is still much faster. The most you let it cool down from 30 mins.

and btw... if i got a dry box. chances are that i will not be using silica gel already
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#12
moondancer said:
I thought metal (fork/plate etc) put inside microwave will EXPLODE one??? Chinese drama serials always show one leh!!!! :eek: Maybe use microwave-safe bowl instead? :sweat: ...and also the fumes may be poisonous leh....won't dare to microwave food liao...
OK! I shall buy an oven tomorrow specially for frying my purple beads!!!! ^_^
Buy small electronic dry cab is better. Cheaper IMHO :think: .

Regards,
Arto.
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#13
nicholas1986 said:
but for this method you either need to remove all your stuff from the dry box and wait for 48 hrs for the silica gel to turn blue again. i think the microwave is still much faster. The most you let it cool down from 30 mins.

and btw... if i got a dry box. chances are that i will not be using silica gel already
Buy another small electronic dry cab special for Silica Gel lah..... :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.
 

karnage

New Member
Feb 26, 2005
1,325
0
0
35
Ang Mo Kio
#16
I do the same thing as dominator... put in a metal tray, those type for cookies, put in microwave for less than a minute then all turn blue liao. Then I just take out & let it cool. Ok leh, nv turn pink or purple. Still very blue when it's cooled & I pour back into the container.
 

Spectrum

Senior Member
Jun 22, 2003
3,779
0
0
Here
Visit site
#17
karnage said:
I do the same thing as dominator... put in a metal tray, those type for cookies, put in microwave for less than a minute then all turn blue liao. Then I just take out & let it cool. Ok leh, nv turn pink or purple. Still very blue when it's cooled & I pour back into the container.
I think for microwave, the water content inside the silica gel is evapourated from inside out & not outside in. That's why it still remain blue after it's cool down unlike from those frying pan technique, I think.
Like you've mentioned. I think I'll try the microwave method instead. Think is best of the rest. Thanks for sharing dudes.:)
 

moondancer

New Member
Jul 18, 2004
116
0
0
42
Singapore
#19
Yeah..I think i'll try the microwave method too...sounds cool that the beads remain blue even after cooled....
Will try when hubby's not at home (he's worried about the *poisonous fumes* and all...what he don't know can't hurt him haha!! :bsmilie:
 

Luval

Senior Member
May 29, 2003
1,499
0
36
40
East
www.Lutherseowphotography.com
#20
dominator said:
for me I simply pour used silica gel on metal plate, put in microwave 10s and that's it before putting back to use on box. not as troublesome as all above mentioned.

on a metal plate .. in a microwave !!! :what:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom