RE: Colour produced by Lens and Printing a photo to frame on the wall

zhehaolau

Aug 12, 2010
Hi guys,

I have been using my 550D and my kit lens 18-55 for about 1 year already and have been thinking of upgrading to the Sigma 17-70.
From what i understand, the 18-55 IS is a sharp lens and is comparable to the Sigma 17-70.
But actually the main reason for my upgrade is due to the colours produced by the Kit Lens (also the build quality).
I am not sure if it is because of the kit lens or is it just me but the colours produced by the 18-55 just doesn't have that punch in colours. Because of this, i tend to use -1 EV hoping for a little more contrast.
I prefer warmer colours so i always have to photoshop my photos to add a little saturation and contrast to them.
My question is, will getting a Sigma 17-70 improve the colours of my photo? I understand i can always add them in Post but it is quite troublesome to edit everyone of them and sometimes they don't look that true.

Another question i have is that i have been thinking of framing up some of my photos on my wall. Any recommendations on the most cost effective (not forgetting quality) way to print and frame them up?
I have entered into some competitions where they print out my photos on a photo paper and they really look way better than what i have digitally.
I am thinking of printing them from some neighbourhood photo shop and then buying frames from Ikea. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
First of all, lenses are not meant to alter the colours but to create a sharp image on the sensor. The affects of the lenses on the colours are so little compared to any post-processing. Use the software that came with your camera (DPP) and learn to adjust the White Balance. That's more useful that the nearly esoteric question of colours produced by lenses.

I understand that sharpness is of higher priority when purchasing a lens and i understand that DPP and white balance affect the colour.
But for me, sharpness isn't everything for me. I am pretty happy with the sharpness i get with my 18-55 but the colours are just soft compared to some photos uneditted.

Last edited:
I understand that sharpness is of higher priority when purchasing a lens and i understand that DPP and white balance affect the colour.
But for me, sharpness isn't everything for me. I am pretty happy with the sharpness i get with my 18-55 but the colours are just soft compared to some photos uneditted.
Please post an image of what you perceive as soft and also post an image where you's day "that's what it should be" (including all exif data of both pictures). Do keep in mind: DSLR images are meant for post-processing. The camera by default will not apply the heave in-camera processing as seen with PnS cams. Reason: after applying these in-camera saturation settings the image is converted ti jpg, a lossy image compression. All details and data not required to render the image are removed, irretrievable. Which also limits the future possibilities in post-processing. If you want to apply these settings check your manual about Picture Styles. You can select from the installed ones or download / create your own ones (iirc). But whatever is done with Picture Styles is by far more effective than changing the lens. And you have paid for it already :)

actually.. its true that different lenses have different output wrt colour, contrast, resolution, and other image quality parameters. if you want really good contrast and colours, i would suggest going for prime lenses, or if manual focus isnt an issue, older manual prime lenses. they will have better contrast and colour compared to modern kit lenses which are optimized almost solely for resolution. each lens has its own special rendition and you can try a whole bunch of them till you find the one you love.

actually.. its true that different lenses have different output wrt colour, contrast, resolution, and other image quality parameters. if you want really good contrast and colours, i would suggest going for prime lenses, or if manual focus isnt an issue, older manual prime lenses. they will have better contrast and colour compared to modern kit lenses which are optimized almost solely for resolution. each lens has its own special rendition and you can try a whole bunch of them till you find the one you love.

agreed! the color rendered by modern lenses and older lenses is slightly different.

Thanks for all your replies so far guys.

Yea i think it kinda makes sense. My friend has two old Pentax mannual prime lens, i haven't really check all his photos out but the colour they produce just looks much better.
Right now though, i guess i will stick with "Standard +5 Contrast,+1 Saturation" and "Landscape" Picture Style.

Still thinking if i should get the Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 HSM.
Anyone know about photo printing? I am intending to print out some photos to frame them up on the wall but don't really know how should i go about and stuff like canvas printing. :S

Thanks for all your replies so far guys.

Yea i think it kinda makes sense. My friend has two old Pentax mannual prime lens, i haven't really check all his photos out but the colour they produce just looks much better.
Right now though, i guess i will stick with "Standard +5 Contrast,+1 Saturation" and "Landscape" Picture Style.

Still thinking if i should get the Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 HSM.
Anyone know about photo printing? I am intending to print out some photos to frame them up on the wall but don't really know how should i go about and stuff like canvas printing. :S

u also need to calibrate your monitor before you send for printing. and u also probably need to know the company's printing profile and calibrate according to their profile.

if u do a google, u can find lotsa of printers doing canvas printing:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=20&...gc.r_pw.&fp=c31bebad78a0e519&biw=1280&bih=578