Re : Books on Digital Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis247

Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Hi All,

Just like to know what books will you recommend for newie like me to learn digital photography. I was at Kinokuniya Orchard yesterday and I saw lots of books. Not sure which one is good. Anyway, thought of learning from books first before taking up some classes. Please advice. Thank you very much.

Francis247 said:
Hi All,

Just like to know what books will you recommend for newie like me to learn digital photography. I was at Kinokuniya Orchard yesterday and I saw lots of books. Not sure which one is good. Anyway, thought of learning from books first before taking up some classes. Please advice. Thank you very much.

Go adephi think it 5th floor look for riceball and he will help you..........

I was recommended two books: Understanding Exposure (for primarily the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture) and Learning to See Creatively (primarily for composition. I find the reading easy, and the photos by Bryan Peterson (same author for both books) inspiring and motivating. The 2 books are a good combo, because most books either focus on composition or exposure (including the two). There are also various books that are quite good, stocked up in libraries, although its a hassle to plough thru the books to find a gem, not to mention returning the books before they are overdue.

I bought them from Amazon for a price lower than a recommended shop from here including shipment. Wait time is less than 3 weeks. If you buy more (books) from Amazon, shipping will siginifcantly reduce. Both books costs me around $80 bux.

i agree with shinken's recommendation. both books by bryan peterson are extremely useful if you're starting out.

on top of that, if you're using photoshop, you may want to get scott kelby's "photoshop for digital photographers" book.

i recommend you check out these books from riceball at adelphi. same shop i got these books from.

Are you looking for books that deal mainly with the digital process, i.e. post-processing and Photoshop touchup? For this - I don't have any specific recommendations since I'm a cheapo self-taught PS user.

Anyway, if not, I would like to recommend two books which I think are good all-rounder handbook for field photographers:
The other two books recommended by shiken, written by Bryan Peterson are also good beginner books to root you in the foundations of photography.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to pick up the basics of digital photography. Anyway, I will check it out one of these days. Thanks a lot.

Dear Francis,

I go by the same name as you. nice to know you are keen in reading photography books.

If you like outdoor and landscape photography which i love. I would recommend Charlie Waite, John Shaw or Jim Zuckerman. These excellant photographers uses natural light in thier work to create masterpiece. A lot has been learnt from how to see and compose to choosing exposure. Hope you;ll pick them up for some good read.

Sicnarf

Status
Not open for further replies.