Re : Advices for Step-Up Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis247

Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Hi everybody, i am new to this forum and as well as photography. I got a Pentax Optio MX for a quite a few months now and I am still trying to fully maximizing its ability.

I was wondering if I should invest in a Step-Up Ring as my MX is a 37mm. I thought of getting a step-up ring from 37mm to 52mm as most filters are larger than 37mm. Will there be any vignetting?

Please advice. Thank you very much.

There should not be any vignetting problem for 37-52mm step-up.

Hi i am new too. And would like to ask if there are such thing as Step-Down ring? Because i am using S5500, my thread is 55mm while the more commonly used lens are normally 52mm. So does a 55 - 52mm Step-Down ring exists? Thank you.

There are step-down rings. As to whether there is a step-down ring from 55-52mm, you would need to check with the retailers. There is a greater chance for vignetting problems with step-down rings though.

Ok thanks. Just for your opinion, do you think its necessary to get a 55-52mm step down ring?

I depends on the type of camera you are using. If you have a point and shoot digicam with a fixed thread of 55mm, then might as well just get 55mm. The price difference between 52 & 55mm is very slight. with a 52mm filter on a 55mm thread, you might get vignetting at wide angle end of zoom or when a thick filter like a circular polariser or close-up filter is used.

If you have a DSLR, it might be better to get a bigger filter as your future lens might need it. It is always better to step up to a larger filter than step down to a smaller one.

Belano said:
Ok thanks. Just for your opinion, do you think its necessary to get a 55-52mm step down ring?
Why not get a step up ring.55-58mm.That's what I'm using for my S5000. :)

Oh icic. Thanks for that. Its a good point. I do know much about such things as i just newly bought my S5500.
Why not get a step up ring.55-58mm.That's what I'm using for my S5000.
So LazerLordz, are you using any TCon or WCon lens? And how much do you pay for that step up ring? Thanks.

hi, belano i got a step-up ring for $10 at a shop. i cant say every place will cost d same...

i dun think brand is an issue here anyway. i dun think i'll spend 2 much on tt.
if costs 2 much den i wont even buy liao...

Oh thats quite cheap. So where is exactly the shop that you gotten it? Its a 55-58 step up ring?

Belano said:
Oh icic. Thanks for that. Its a good point. I do know much about such things as i just newly bought my S5500.
So LazerLordz, are you using any TCon or WCon lens? And how much do you pay for that step up ring? Thanks.

I got my step-up ring at CP.9 bucks.

my WCON is Raydawn, some obscure brand but I'd suggest you buy the Olympus WCON and TCON.Better optical quality. :)

mine's a 72-77mm step-up. i got it from a shop in people's Park Centre, unit 01-44.

i think CP is more centrelized oso.... :bsmilie:

???

i tot step-up ring got no glass de? shouldn't it b jus a hollow metal ring w/ lense threads of 2 diff sizes?:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.