Rayovac 1hr Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

Finally bought this when Carrefour is selling it at $49.90 (as opposed to the originally pricey $79.90). Also bought 2 Rayovac 1600mAh NiMH batteries to make a set of 4 (with the 2 free ones).

Excellent charger. Really lives up to it's name, charging all my batteries in slightly under an hour. And it's intelligent, I accidentally tried to recharge already-charged batteries, and it cuts off after 5 minutes.

Batteries which are not completely depleted charges in much less than an hour. Handy when you want to "top up" the charges.

At $49.90, it makes it a MUCH better buy than the Sony 1hr charger, which only charges 2 batteries to 85% charge in 1 hour. The Rayovac is a true 1 hour charger.

Regards
CK

does it support 110v?

If you plug a 230v charger into a 110v socket, it'll just take twice as long to charge only, what :angel:

On a more serious note... Just wondering about how people use rapid chargers? Do you guys have a rapid charger and a separate trickle charger? Or do you solely rely on rapid charging?

Originally posted by erwinx
If you plug a 230v charger into a 110v socket, it'll just take twice as long to charge only, what :angel:

On a more serious note... Just wondering about how people use rapid chargers? Do you guys have a rapid charger and a separate trickle charger? Or do you solely rely on rapid charging?

Cannot, different ratings.

Rapid charger + trickle charger = intelligent charger? :D

are there any good chargers that work both 220-240v and 110v too? it's more convenient for travelling.

p.s. i don't mind a battery charger with teleconverter too.
;)

Originally posted by ckiang
Finally bought this when Carrefour is selling it at $49.90 (as opposed to the originally pricey $79.90). Also bought 2 Rayovac 1600mAh NiMH batteries to make a set of 4 (with the 2 free ones).
hey ckiang, when did you buy it? is Carrefour still selling it at that price? i might drop by and pick up a few if the price is still $49.90...

thanks!!! :D

Personly i have one NiMH charger = Smart charger
With trickle .
Rated at 500mA chatging power 4.5 hours for 1600 mA AAs .
Actually i have buy 2 of them .

The point is to take what you really need .
I do not mind about the charging time , as long i have one good NiMH charger .

If you need the speed , then get a fast one , simple as that .

I got before 3 weeks 4 Sanyos 1600mA , the first charge last 5 hours , i have them in my camera all this 3 weeks , they still have power and i have not charge them again ..

I have take like 100 pictures , the 30 with flash , and still i have power for more .

So everything have to do with how much demanding you are in what you ever do .

Sounds like a better buy than the GP smart.

Does the Rayovac has discharge function?

Originally posted by firefox13
hey ckiang, when did you buy it? is Carrefour still selling it at that price? i might drop by and pick up a few if the price is still $49.90...

thanks!!! :D

Hi, bough it last Monday. Go see if it's still available lor. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Kho King

No discharge function, no trickle charge either. But it charges very fast. Each battery is individually controlled, so you can actually charge 1 or 3 batteries if you want.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by lefei
ckiang,
What are the pros and cons between the Rayovac charger and the Sony 1hr Quick Charger?

There's fine print on the Sony that says that it will charge TWO AA batteries to 85% in 1 hour. This means that to fully charge four batteries, it will take more than 1 hour. And the Sony appears to be a timer-based charger, it will charge for 1 hour whether the batteries are fully depleted or not.

The Rayovac is different. It fully charges 4 1600mAh batteries in 1 hour flat. The 4 batteries are individually charged simultaneously. This means that you can actually put in odd numbers like 1 or 3 batteries unlike the other charges which might require 2 or 4. When 1 out of 4 batteries are charged, the charging current for that 1 battery will be cut while charging the rest.

The Rayovac is also an intelligent charger. If you put in partially used batteries, it will charge them in < 1 hour. At the discounted price, it's a much better buy than the Sony.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

There's fine print on the Sony that says that it will charge TWO AA batteries to 85% in 1 hour. This means that to fully charge four batteries, it will take more than 1 hour. And the Sony appears to be a timer-based charger, it will charge for 1 hour whether the batteries are fully depleted or not.

The Rayovac is different. It fully charges 4 1600mAh batteries in 1 hour flat. The 4 batteries are individually charged simultaneously. This means that you can actually put in odd numbers like 1 or 3 batteries unlike the other charges which might require 2 or 4. When 1 out of 4 batteries are charged, the charging current for that 1 battery will be cut while charging the rest.

The Rayovac is also an intelligent charger. If you put in partially used batteries, it will charge them in < 1 hour. At the discounted price, it's a much better buy than the Sony.

Regards
CK
ckiang,
hmmm....it seem that the Rayovac charger is really good... regretted the Sony one...

Originally posted by lefei

ckiang,
hmmm....it seem that the Rayovac charger is really good... regretted the Sony one...

Find out whether Carrefour is still selling it at $49.90. If they are, sell the Sony, and get the Rayovac. :)

Regards
CK

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kho King

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No discharge function, no trickle charge either. But it charges very fast. Each battery is individually controlled, so you can actually charge 1 or 3 batteries if you want.

Regards
CK

rayovac dont discharge, but can trickle charge.....

Originally posted by looteer

rayovac dont discharge, but can trickle charge.....

I have one, the manual does not mention anything about trickle charging, but that the charger will cut-off when the batteries are fully charged. When that happens, a charger which supports trickle charging will go into trickle charge mode and indicate so, but the Rayovac just turns off the LEDs. I'd assume it's not trickle charging, but just turned off. Manual also says to remove the batteries once they are fully charged.

Regards
CK

Q: Can I leave my batteries in the charger after they have been charged?
A: After charging, you may leave NiMH batteries in the 1-Hour Charger until you are ready to use them. A "trickle charge" maintenance current will keep the batteries topped off - completely charged and ready to use.

source: http://www.rayovac.com/products/recharge/nimh_faqs.shtml

i strongly recommend this charger at 49.90, what are you guys waiting for?? i got mine at 79.90!!!

sony one hour what?!! alamak.... don't waste your time.....:D

anyway, my experience is that if you fully drain a 1600mah rayovac batteries with a tap light....(low batt indicated by camera is low power for camera but still lots of juice left for tap light!!) it will take about 1 hr & 7 mins to recharge...... i m not complaining.....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.