Raynox DCR-5320PRO 3-in-1 Macro Lens Set queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryuggen

Apr 5, 2006
Bukit Panjang
Raynox DCR-5320PRO 3-in-1 Macro Lens Set

Anyone has actually bought this set? This macro set offers lower diopters of +5 compared to RAYNOX MSN-202 Super Macro Lens which gives +25. The prices for the former costs 3 times more than the the latter. I'm confused by which would be a better choice since one seems to offer less magnification but at 3 times the cost of one which offers 5 times more magnification at a third of the former's price.

For macro, isnt it always best to get the best magnification? If we wanted less, we could simply move further from the subject.

ExplorerZ

Jan 9, 2006
West Legion
hkchew03.deviantart.com
Raynox DCR-5320PRO 3-in-1 Macro Lens Set

Anyone has actually bought this set? This macro set offers lower diopters of +5 compared to RAYNOX MSN-202 Super Macro Lens which gives +25. The prices for the former costs 3 times more than the the latter. I'm confused by which would be a better choice since one seems to offer less magnification but at 3 times the cost of one which offers 5 times more magnification at a third of the former's price.

For macro, isnt it always best to get the best magnification? If we wanted less, we could simply move further from the subject.
theres a limit to how far away you can focus... if its too huge you might be just taking part of a larger subject (eg. butterfly)

ryuggen

Apr 5, 2006
Bukit Panjang
Yup, I'm pretty worried about how far I can focus. As 5320 gives me a +5 diopter, its not as exciting as 250, which has 8. Yet, the price differences is 3 times difference...:confused:

As I would like to mount 5320 on 18-200, I'm afraid it might not have enuff to stop down to give a clear focus on the subject totally. I noticed that macro shooters tend to focus on the face while the body is totally OOF. As my lens is not a macro lens, I'm afraid that I couldnt even achieve the basic focus.

ExplorerZ

Jan 9, 2006
West Legion
hkchew03.deviantart.com
Yup, I'm pretty worried about how far I can focus. As 5320 gives me a +5 diopter, its not as exciting as 250, which has 8. Yet, the price differences is 3 times difference...:confused:

As I would like to mount 5320 on 18-200, I'm afraid it might not have enuff to stop down to give a clear focus on the subject totally. I noticed that macro shooters tend to focus on the face while the body is totally OOF. As my lens is not a macro lens, I'm afraid that I couldnt even achieve the basic focus.
eh seriously if you do consider the 5320 (3x of 250 = $300?), might as well top up $300 more for a real macro lens. ;)
image from a 18-200 lens + close up filter cannot beat a true macro lens. :thumbsup:

ryuggen

Apr 5, 2006
Bukit Panjang
You are right! Thats the pulling factor. If 5320pro doesnt give me a good image quality, then, it wouldnt make sense to invest on it. And normal macro lens will have a filter size of 67mm or below. Thus, I could consider the cheaper alternative of 250 or 3500 series.

I just thought perhaps 5320pro might give me a cheap macro lens on the wide and tele ends:sweat:

There are other options: extension tube and close up filter. Dedicated macro lens didnt cross my mind, as I wanted to shoot in wide and tele ends.

Jan 30, 2006
Hi All,

Think there's some misunderstanding on this DCR-5320PRO. It's quite a special lens really.

The price is more affordable than a normal macro lens if your main concern is to save money. But you can also use it on a macro lens in future to make it more "macro". This investment will be put to good use anyway, either with a normal telephoto lens or macro lens.

As for reviews, we're probably the first website in the world to offer a more comprehensive review other than Raynox site.
http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=96

Pictures are taken with the Nikon 18-200VR so that people can decide if they are comfortable with the level of magnification made possible with this lens.

Hope things are clearer now. :D

Cheers,
Jim, McGill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom