Raynox DCR-250

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricolarr

Aug 18, 2008
Simpang Bedok
Hi Clubsnappers, I've seen the popularity of the Raynox 250 here. And I've seen some amazing shots with it. I currently own a Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, but I'm still not satisfied, I wana go closer and closer and closer. You get what I mean...

I am pleased with the 100mm Macro, its amazingly sharp. Firstly, is it even possible to mount a Raynox 250 on my 100mm macro lens? I know that mounting a raynox 250 will affect my DOF and f-stops. The main issue is will it affect the sharpness as well? Hopefully someone can enlighten me, or maybe someone who owns a canon 100mm macro + raynox dcr 250 can even share his/her experience.

Cheers :)

I would like to know too... since i dont have the money to spare for a MPE lens, from which i most likely have to get a ring flash which means even more $$.

Another method would be reverse macro.

i have a 60mm f2.8 and was thinking if doing the same thing as ricolarr mentioned would work.

But according to the salesman at MS colour he said that it is possible at a cost of sharpness.

Cheers,
Freddie

Did a google on that last week as I have the same intention. I am thinking of increasing the magnification ratio. This lens can fit EF 100 Macro as I read in a couple of feedbacks. Why don't you call the agent to confirm ? Can also do a search in CS forum but I think there's more info in google search. I am holding back as I need to polish up the control techniques or skill before I jump into the purchase.

I am doing so currently for my Nikon 105VR and Raynox 250

Here's an sample pic taken wif the above combination, uncropped, unprocessed.

SHS_1534a.JPG

I am very pleased with this combination to date! ;)

Last edited:
Uncropped :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes: Very Nice pic. Did you use tripod or monopod for this shoot ?

I would like to know too... since i dont have the money to spare for a MPE lens, from which i most likely have to get a ring flash which means even more $$.

i have a 60mm f2.8 and was thinking if doing the same thing as ricolarr mentioned would work.

But according to the salesman at MS colour he said that it is possible at a cost of sharpness.

Cheers,
Freddie

Yes I did read up on the MP-E Lens, the 5x ratio is really tempting.
But its kinda costly. Haha yea about the ringflash, I think its either you get the twin
macro lite or nothing at all. Many reviews say the macro ring flash from Canon produces
rather flat images. Whereas the macro twin lite also by Canon compensates by the versatility of the twin flashes.

I was thinking of going for flash brackets. Seen some sample shots here and on flickr.
Looks brilliant to me. XD

Did a google on that last week as I have the same intention. I am thinking of increasing the magnification ratio. This lens can fit EF 100 Macro as I read in a couple of feedbacks. Why don't you call the agent to confirm ? Can also do a search in CS forum but I think there's more info in google search. I am holding back as I need to polish up the control techniques or skill before I jump into the purchase.

Sama Sama! I went to google some comparisons between diopters and extension tubes.
EG: Raynox 150/250 VS Kenko Extension Tubes.

The overall conclusion is:

- Both diopters and extension tubes reduces the working distance by a large amount.
- Correct me if I'm wrong, extension tubes have no glass elements. So sharpness and
image quality won't be affected. (Light is greatly reduced though)
- Diopters will affect the IQ and sharpness, but its still usable and its rather unnoticeable
unless you're printing A3 or bigger?

Currently, I'm leaning towards getting a set of Kenko tubes, unless someone can enlighten
me and give theories on why diopters will be better than extension tubes.

I am doing so currently for my Nikon 105VR and Raynox 250

Here's an sample pic taken wif the above combination, uncropped, unprocessed.

SHS_1534a.JPG

I am very pleased with this combination to date! ;)

Seriously Nunnumball, just went I thought deciding was going to be easy between
extension tubes and diopters. You dropped a bomb on me. You're mean. Joking :p

But man that is one seriously power shot. Its soooo damn sharp. **** I'm jealous.

Just shot this today, with my 100mm F/2.8 Macro USM

3687800162_cf758968b1_b.jpg

And I thought this was sharp. *Faints

Possible to mount the Raynox onto the 100mm? Yes. I did it with mine.

Will you get sharp pics? Yup, if your techniques are fine. I would advise you to get a speedlight, which is more flexible in purposes than a ring light.

ricolarr,

What body are you using? If your body has pop-up flash, you can try a diffuser or reflector for better light diffusing.

Currently, I'm also using 100mm macro + 250DCR on my Canon 450D with tripod and the outcome was good and sharp. No worries about losing qualities like sharpness or colors.

Here's one of my shots with the setup. Shot is uncropped @ 100% from the original shot.
3667552185_07d8c4f7cb_o.jpg

Have fun ;)!

Uncropped :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes: Very Nice pic. Did you use tripod or monopod for this shoot ?

Hand held :) took me quite a while to get a decent shot, and afew shots to get this right, as a little bit of breathing keep blowing ur focus off..

ricolarr,

What body are you using? If your body has pop-up flash, you can try a diffuser or reflector for better light diffusing.

Currently, I'm also using 100mm macro + 250DCR on my Canon 450D with tripod and the outcome was good and sharp. No worries about losing qualities like sharpness or colors.

Here's one of my shots with the setup. Shot is uncropped @ 100% from the original shot.

Have fun ;)!

Wow.. Pretty good shot u got !

Whats tt by the way? crab spider?

ricolarr,

Have fun ;)!

Hi, I'm using a 40D body. Nice spidey you've got there!
Yes I've got the pop up flash, but I intend to purchase a 430X ii next week.

To sidetrack, has anyone experienced using both diopters (eg: Raynox)
and extension tubes (E.g Kenko)? If you have kindly share your experience?

Cheers,
Freddie

Hey, the MP-E lens are absolutely a dream macro lens for macro enthusiasts, like me ! :bsmilie: i rented it once from camera rental centre to try it out and its surprisingly good despite the fact that the lens does not have Autofocus, which in a way energy consuming to sway front and back to do the focusing.

Hence im looking for a cheaper way to do macro, was looking at Raynox DCR-250 or extension tube with maybe a 60 or 100 mm macro lens. How i would like to know how exactly Raynox DCR-250 works.

Any advise ? Thanks and appreciated.

How about trying close-up filters? I have a Raynox 250, it's a good option for macro but really needs time and patience to master it...at least for me :embrass:

How about trying close-up filters? I have a Raynox 250, it's a good option for macro but really needs time and patience to master it...at least for me :embrass:

2nd tt. Try 500d close up filter before in shop; pretty gd option to have instead of getting a dedicated macro lens. but ur working distance is compromised thou.. ;)

Ricolarr,

Hee...tks..u got a pretty gd capture as well!

Hmm..Tried extension Tubes before for 2 weks befoe switching to a dedicated lens.. One con need to take into consideration is that you must go really close (i.e. 1 inch at least) in order to get ur subject in focus. and it doesn give u e flexibility of detaching the tube (as it sit between e body and lens) between shots.. if you wanna to go bk to "normal" macro mode... and shot maybe sth else from a longer working distance..

Can add extender onto extension tube to gain a further working distance ?

Ricolarr,

Hee...tks..u got a pretty gd capture as well!

Hmm..Tried extension Tubes before for 2 weks befoe switching to a dedicated lens.. One con need to take into consideration is that you must go really close (i.e. 1 inch at least) in order to get ur subject in focus. and it doesn give u e flexibility of detaching the tube (as it sit between e body and lens) between shots.. if you wanna to go bk to "normal" macro mode... and shot maybe sth else from a longer working distance..

Hmmm ya, never thought about the inconvenience. **** man, huge dilemma now. Haha
I'm contemplating close up mainly because i plan to shoot macro on my nikon fm2 with slide film. Damn excited.

Wow.. Pretty good shot u got !

Whats tt by the way? crab spider?

Numnum, though it looks like a crab spider but it is not. This is the young bird dung spider ;).

Hi, I'm using a 40D body. Nice spidey you've got there!
Yes I've got the pop up flash, but I intend to purchase a 430X ii next week.

To sidetrack, has anyone experienced using both diopters (eg: Raynox)
and extension tubes (E.g Kenko)? If you have kindly share your experience?

Thanks!

For the flash, you can make the 430EXII to be the secondary flash to complement your pop-up flash for better lighting. This can help to give you great soft lighting and shadows if done properly.

Agree that dealing with Raynox DCR 250 stack onto 100mm requires loads of patience.

Can add extender onto extension tube to gain a further working distance ?

By adding an extension, your lens f/stop effective rate will drop be 2 stops. Thus stacking another one, will make an effective drop of 4 stops.

Hmmm ya, never thought about the inconvenience. **** man, huge dilemma now. Haha
I'm contemplating close up mainly because i plan to shoot macro on my nikon fm2 with slide film. Damn excited.

If you are using prime lens (non-macro), like 50mm or 105mm from Nikon, stacking the Raynox may be a better option if the lens dia is between 49mm to 67mm.

I know using the Raynox means manual focus.

Besides that, do we need to set any thing on the lens (eg. 100mm marco lens) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.