raynox 250 or vitacon 0.5x macro coverter?

crazy12234

Aug 15, 2008
hi
Im using canon 1000d.
Have canon 50mm lens
And canon 17-85mm lens.

A friend reecommended Raynox one whereas the uncle at this shop said Vitacon 0.5x is good since it comes with both wideangle and macro adaptor. but ive not seen any pictures around for vitacon one. Pls help!

Please use the search function (upper right hand) and read what other people have said already many times. In a nutshell:
Raynox: is used by many people in Macro section (check their pic) and they are happy.
Vitacon: is used by many newbies, afterwards we see the complaints about lousy image quality and later we see the offers in Buy&Sell section. Many times we also see the stories of being ripped off / overcharged for those Vitacon thingies.
Following "shop uncle's advice" has produced many angry stories here. Up to you whether you want to add another one :)

Beside this: what do you want? Macro or wide angle? 17mm is already quite wide, anything wider requires quality glass, not just some adapter. If 17mm is wide enough then Vitacon's wide angle has no value to you. Just a paperweight.

Last edited:
My advice is for you to take the Raynox instead of Vitacon.

Why? Raynox is to help you turn a non-macro lens to macro capability, as long as the lens diameter is within 52mm to 67mm. Like Octarine mentioned, you already have a 17-85mm lens, where 17mm is already a good wide angle so no point wasting money to get the vitacon.

I've used Raynox 250 DCR on both my CZ 50mm/1.4 and Canon EF 100mm/2.8 lens and both works great without sacrificing f/stops. Maybe for new users, you'll find hard to control the shallow focus depth and short focal distance with Raynox stack on. For wide angle, I have my trusty Tokina 11-16/2.8 lens to shoot with ;).

Raynox DCR 250 + your 50mm lens will be lightweight macro setup suitable for handheld shooting.

The 8 Diopter magnification (approx 3x) for Raynox is good too.

Get the raynox.

Even if you get tired of it, it is much easier to resell the raynox than the vitacon, which should say something about things.

Don't waste your money on vitacon. Rubbish.

It's called vitaCON for a reason.

crap.

i ended up buying the UNI Plus Tube for 50mm instead cos Alan Photo recommended.

hmm not sure if i made the right choice now

You got to try out yourself to see if you made the right choice. My bet's still on Raynox ;).