Raynox 250 or Extension tube?

Zeonz

Aug 12, 2009
Hi Guys,

I know someone had posted similar thread but i just want to know more about it

My current equipments are: Canon 500D and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I heard tamron 17-50mm(67mm filter size) if using Raynox 250 will have serious vignetting, anyone have any sample on this?

For Extension tube will it degrade the photos?

Sorry for my noob questions just hope someone can give me some guide ^^; Thank~~

extension tube ... it does very little to the IQ.

Extension tubes beat the raynox in magnification anytime.

I would pick extension tubes. It has no extra glass for the light to pass through

Hi Guys,

I know someone had posted similar thread but i just want to know more about it

My current equipments are: Canon 500D and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I heard tamron 17-50mm(67mm filter size) if using Raynox 250 will have serious vignetting, anyone have any sample on this?

For Extension tube will it degrade the photos?

Sorry for my noob questions just hope someone can give me some guide ^^; Thank~~

note that extension tubes only works for 35mm & above. so for your lens, you can only use 50mm not 17mm.

So the extension tube will be better than Raynox? hmm ok thank guys!

So the extension tube will be better than Raynox? hmm ok thank guys!

extension tube doesn't affects IQ

raynox afterall is still a filter but its a of very high grade, unless u pixel peep... there will still be slight degradation of IQ but its still way better then those close up filters.

raynox afterall is still a filter but its a of very high grade, unless u pixel peep... there will still be slight degradation of IQ but its still way better then those close up filters.

ok thank! :)

Slight degradation? I sold off mine straight after one field trip.:bsmilie:

For webview, anything also can. Beyond that, i will not recommand at all.

But raynox got it advantage, it perform very good when pairing up with p&s or proconsumer camera as a ultra lightweight setup.

One of moderator here is very well-known using it. :)
http://www.tchuanye.smugmug.com/

Extension tube will affect IQ if stack too much of it due to diffraction.

Slight degradation? I sold off mine straight after one field trip.:bsmilie:

For webview, anything also can. Beyond that, i will not recommand at all.

But raynox got it advantage, it perform very good when pairing up with p&s or proconsumer camera as a ultra lightweight setup.

One of moderator here is very well-known using it. :)
http://www.tchuanye.smugmug.com/

ok but i heard Tamron 17-50mm will have serious vignetting is that true? i really hope anyone have any photo sample of that..

ok but i heard Tamron 17-50mm will have serious vignetting is that true? i really hope anyone have any photo sample of that..

Nope, not true. It will not have serious vignetting beyond some light falloff at the corners. You can always test it out yourself at the camera shop before buying it (if the salesperson is free to entertain you).

ok.. i got an extension tube now... but.. how to i set the aperture... -.-; try to search around say like

1. set your aperture
2. hold the release button dun let go n put in extension tube
3. and the aperture will stay... but after changed i have F00 -.-;

Last edited:
you mean, you just "oh, ok extension tubes good BBB" and didn't read up on them?

if your lens has no aperture ring, then if you want to retain aperture control, you need to buy more expensive extension tubes with lens contacts built-in.

suspect you just bought the cheapest manual ones... so in this case you can either do what is suggested to keep the lens open, or you can buy more expensive ones

please read this:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=865784

correct procedure is to hold down DOF preview button while unmounting. if you don't know how to do this, please read your camera manual.

you mean, you just "oh, ok extension tubes good BBB" and didn't read up on them?

if your lens has no aperture ring, then if you want to retain aperture control, you need to buy more expensive extension tubes with lens contacts built-in.

suspect you just bought the cheapest manual ones... so in this case you can either do what is suggested to keep the lens open, or you can buy more expensive ones

please read this:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=865784

correct procedure is to hold down DOF preview button while unmounting. if you don't know how to do this, please read your camera manual.

Hahaha i did research but maybe not that much. Ya the cheapest and that DOF i know i tried but still not working. Its ok i will try on other lense. :)

Hi.

Nice photos lunas..

I was also thinking of an extension tube.
But I'll be getting a 180mm (72mm) lens.
So, will I need a huge 100mm+80mm tube to double magnification?

Or a Raynox 250 will be better in my case?

thanks!

Last edited:
Hi.

Nice photos lunas..

But I'll be getting a 180mm lens.

thanks!

yes.

the formulae is:

magnification = length of extension tube / lens focal length

Hi.

Nice photos lunas..

But I'll be getting a 180mm (72mm) lens.

Or a Raynox 250 will be better in my case?

thanks!

for 180mm on crop body you definitely need a tripod for macro work