Raw vs JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 3, 2005
CCK
www.bigstockphoto.com
Some interesting discussion about shooting raw and jpg:

1. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

2. The real discussion is not about what mode to shoot in, but about who does your processing.

IT'S PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SHOOT IN ANYTHING BUT RAW! Raw is the electronic signal that comes off your sensor, so it's not how you shoot it, but how you save it that is actually being discussed.

When you select Raw, you're saving the data just as the sensor generated it, so you can play it back later.

When you select jpeg, or on cameras that don't have a Raw option, you're having your camera process the file before it is saved to the card, instead of having your computer process it later.

This is the age old discussion about whether to soup your own film or take it to a pro lab. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Except today, you have the option to do both.

Back then, if you souped your own you could choose different developers to tune your results. Today you choose a Raw processor:

o your camera's firmware
o Adobe Camera Raw
o SilkyPix
o Capture One
o raw software that came with your camera
o etc.

All of these give slightly different results, which may be more or less to your liking--and if you want, you can try them all.

A perfect exposure is ALWAYS the best way, but if you miss with a jpeg, it's kinda like missing with a chrome--bad news. Which is why we used to bracket, which is why modern cameras provide a bracket feature. Sort of a toss-up though, if you are shooting a 6 shot bracket or doing it later in Raw.

If you are a sports shooter and need long "motor drive" bursts, then the current state of technology pretty much dictates that jpeg is your best option.

For everthing else, most of the arguments are specious. Bigger file sizes for raw is an economic concern, not a quality issue. Being able to shoot more images is the same. Bigger cards are available, as are bigger hard drives. Needing to twiddle the files is also not a constraint.

If you are too busy shooting to mess with files, hand your card to your Photoshop whizkid assistant and let them process--just like assistants used to change film backs and run the exposed rolls to the pro lab. If you are really shooting "thousands" of pictures in a day for some other reason than you just like the sound effects, then there is enough money in the budget to hire a couple of assistants--along with grips, gaffers, hair, makeup, and catering.

Run with the big dogs, 'ya know, or stay on the porch. ;-)

If, like me, however, you haven't quite attained Zen Photo Master status yet, raw + jpeg is good to have. If the jpeg doesn't work out, Raw is a good tool to have in your kit.

I shoot action/events with jpeg. Anything else is done in RAW :)

havent shot a single frame jpeg yet...

even for sports. because ive yet to fill up buffer even with 5fps.

ST_sg said:
I shoot everything in RAW, so far 1.5GB is enough for my single outing. :)
you must either not shoot much or you have a ....

anyway ...

Deadpoet said:
you must either not shoot much or you have a ....

anyway ...
ya, I really don't have the luxury to shoot whole day. Unless if travel then its different story. :p

I shoot in RAW. I just clock nearly 4GB yesterday. I still have room left though. If travelling, I may just shoot in Jpeg if the condition is good. Reason in choosing Raw is trying to get more keepers.

i shot 99% raw with my 10d. the only times i shot jpeg...when i first got the cam, during canon photomarathon, and when nothing better to do :bsmilie:

DeSwitch said:
I shoot in RAW. I just clock nearly 4GB yesterday. I still have room left though. If travelling, I may just shoot in Jpeg if the condition is good. Reason in choosing Raw is trying to get more keepers.
wah... how long it takes you to process them... ;)

me too, i shoot in RAW + Jpeg. so if the jpeg can make it, then good, else... still got something to backup...

normally if i got school event to cover i will borrow a 2GB CF from fren and also got my own 2GB and 512....

so far so good. but everyday got to download to laptop after the shoot, to reload for next day

I shoot mostly in jpeg(some in raw depend on the subject) for events and wedding...but RAW when I do potraits( more impt )...

when street shooting I go for RAW.....

well, both has pros n cons.....

i shoot only in raw now unless my client needs a jpeg asap, then i shoot in both formats. Every full wedding i clock about 16 to 20 gb worth of data., process everything in tiff and when i'm happy convert it to jpeg.

Dammit...I must be missing out on something...haven't taken a single RAW pic since I went digital... :embrass:

BraveHart said:
Dammit...I must be missing out on something...haven't taken a single RAW pic since I went digital... :embrass:
:bsmilie: me too... unless it's product shoot or for commercial purposes, otherwise large fine jpeg is good enough. guess the fundamentals have to be right in the first place...

Raw allows me to use my "colours", the type of colour temp what i desire and the amount of shadows present in my images, with Jpegs i always find the colour too punchy for my liking and the shadows set and very hard to tune it lighter, i like to work each image and it gives me certain creative control over it.

Many natural lights have casts and my camera always makes certain mistake when i shoot with a green or yellow cast. So i love to tinker back to the colours i see natural.:)

Normally if its for cleints or a non-photo intensive outing/ assigment, I will shoot RAW. other than that its JPG.

shoot IR with RAW... got 40GB external storage, just dump everthing inside when my 1 GB CF card is full....

Belle&Sebastain said:
i shoot only in raw now unless my client needs a jpeg asap, then i shoot in both formats. Every full wedding i clock about 16 to 20 gb worth of data., process everything in tiff and when i'm happy convert it to jpeg.

You are really the PRO!

Status
Not open for further replies.