RAW vs Jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutek

Jul 3, 2003
AMK
www.flickr.com
I am with tomshen on this issue. I am not a pro, so I can't get my exposures/wb correct everytime. Shooting RAW gives me the ability to adjust exposure, white balance, etc far better than what I can do with curves/manual white balance tweaking in JPEG. As for speed of workflow, yes, RAW is slower and more clunky to use, but with a good workflow (especially when using C1), it only takes me between 10-30s each to human-process each photo (waiting in the developing queue and developing times not included), so I don't see it as a problem.

I do shoot JPG from time to time, when covering sports events and I need the faster buffer-flush rate (which RAW will choke on). The results are acceptable for newspaper/online publications where image quality/white-balance issues are not so much of a criteria. But when you want to do big prints and fine art photography, 8 bits compressed JPEG will not be sufficient. It all depends what you shoot.

Best regards,
Wenyao

dkw

Dec 10, 2003
CCK
Visit site
nutek said:
I am with tomshen on this issue. I am not a pro, so I can't get my exposures/wb correct everytime. Shooting RAW gives me the ability to adjust exposure, white balance, etc far better than what I can do with curves/manual white balance tweaking in JPEG. As for speed of workflow, yes, RAW is slower and more clunky to use, but with a good workflow (especially when using C1), it only takes me between 10-30s each to human-process each photo (waiting in the developing queue and developing times not included), so I don't see it as a problem.

I do shoot JPG from time to time, when covering sports events and I need the faster buffer-flush rate (which RAW will choke on). The results are acceptable for newspaper/online publications where image quality/white-balance issues are not so much of a criteria. But when you want to do big prints and fine art photography, 8 bits compressed JPEG will not be sufficient. It all depends what you shoot.

Best regards,
Wenyao
Agree with you 100%.... a very lucid discussion of the issues here--->

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/o_RAW_workflow/_RAW_workflow.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom