Raw Vs JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zicheos

Jun 22, 2008
I recently started shooting in raw with my FZ 50 at ISO 400 but when I developed in silkypix the photos look very noisy. When I develop into TIF the same happens yet if I convert them into JPEG, it looks perfectly alright.

Anybody can kindly enlighten me?

I recently started shooting in raw with my FZ 50 at ISO 400 but when I developed in silkypix the photos look very noisy. When I develop into TIF the same happens yet if I convert them into JPEG, it looks perfectly alright.

Normal. JPEG is a compressed format, details are lost, but noise may be less obvious. FZ50 isnt a winner when it comes to noise. I share your pain once =X

Normal. JPEG is a compressed format, details are lost, but noise may be less obvious. FZ50 isnt a winner when it comes to noise. I share your pain once =X

Oh wow, so that means this camera is better taken with jpeg and not raw? Is there no workaround solution to this?

Edit: Ah wait, I think I figured out the solution --- save in jpeg XD I don't need the power of uncompressed format anyway.

Last edited:
Oh wow, so that means this camera is better taken with jpeg and not raw? Is there no workaround solution to this?

Edit: Ah wait, I think I figured out the solution --- save in jpeg XD I don't need the power of uncompressed format anyway.

No, thats not true.

If you take in RAW, you can do noise reduction on your own, I believe the package that comes with it must somehow have some functions to do so.

Or else, you can use other more reliable ones...

All in all, there is a SLIM chance that RAW + post process will be better than JPEG directly. Whether you can notice the difference, may be up to your expertise. I personally shoot JPEG all the way.

Panasonic is infamous for exercising a very heavy-handed noise reduction in almost all their P&S when shooting in jpeg. The typical complaint is the smearing of fine details. Shoot a patch of grass and you will see the details smeared like in a water-colour painting. The whole image will look plasticky smooth from afar and noisefree. If this is what you like, then it's well and good.

If not, then the only way to get good images from Panasonic P&S is to shoot in RAW and carry out your own noise reduction to maintain as much details as possible in the final processed image. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.