RAW vs JPEG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeckson Chow

Mar 1, 2005
Currently in Singapore
Hi guys,

Just a quick question, what is RAW? I know the size of this format is very big and that is about what I know about RAW.

1. Why photographers prefer to shoot in RAW and not JPEG?
2. Quality?
3. Any 2 pictures to show the difference between RAW and JPEG?

I shoot in RAW mainly so that I can do adjustments more easily (eg white balance).

For my cam, I find that I get images a little sharper from RAW - maybe it's just psychological and not something that Photoshop and USM can't fix. In my experience, RAW images will usually require more PP to get the same saturation/contrast that is available out of camera with JPGs.

Just my 2cts...

btw, HP cannot meh...I also HP leh :bsmilie:

renegade said:
No. Just heard about a weirdo who has a funny look as his avatar ... eh stop staring at us that way in ur avatar :sweat:

:sweat: anyway....

Do a search on the forums la... this RAW vs JPG stuff has really been mentioned lots of times already...

ur avatar is so cute..............................................

Just shoot a raw photo, of anything.. and open it in the Photoshop CS.
You will see the HUGE difference betweem RAW and JPEG.

In short, JPEG is a compressed type. The detailed information of the picture is lost. In RAW, all these informations were kept.

Zeckson Chow said:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question, what is RAW? I know the size of this format is very big and that is about what I know about RAW.

1. Why photographers prefer to shoot in RAW and not JPEG?
2. Quality?
3. Any 2 pictures to show the difference between RAW and JPEG?
come down to NUG and have yr answers answered.....

u try to eat raw meat and cooked meat lor... see the difference..... eh, u toking abt chicken or beef here? now im all mixed up.... :confused:

jonlou said:
u try to eat raw meat and cooked meat lor... see the difference..... eh, u toking abt chicken or beef here? now im all mixed up.... :confused:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

jonlou said:

:bsmilie:

I tot its RAW Vs Smackdown? :bsmilie:

i shoot purely jpeg...faster transfer and i dun see wat i cannot do in jpeg...

cheers.... its a preference...

• RAWs has 12bits of data, JPEG only 8bit of data.
  • RAWs also provides a larger EV compensation level of 2 stops (in NC).
  • RAWs also has a better dynamic range as compared to JPEGs.
  • RAWs can correct colours (WB) in tricky lighting situations or when the sensor is fooled (especially with flash).
  • RAWs can be converted to TIFF for large banner prints.
  • RAWs saved to JPEG doesn't lose any information on the RAW image. JPEG saved again means data/information loss.
  • RAWs can be processed again and again into different styles as required without losing data and information.
  • RAWs hold the settings for the images in a seperate meta header in the file, so the images are as is and not touched by the internal processing of the camera as compared to JPEGs.

These are some of the important things I find that RAW can do whilst JPEG can't. Just the ability to adjust the EV by 2 stops alone which saves my ass most of the time, is a good enough reason for me to use it.

Witness said:
i shoot purely jpeg...faster transfer and i dun see wat i cannot do in jpeg...

cheers.... its a preference...

i used to think like you until i discover the powers of RAW files. Yes, sensor are easily fooled and in the extremes of different tempertures your pictures hues goes into an overdrive or either yellows or magentas with green overhues that nothing can solve unless you take control of your picture.

I got many shots i cannot work on because the colours are way off, not even i could control in the colours profile until i learn the hues and colour temp in RAW files.

Espn mention so many more, i guess its just experience that will drive you to use RAW files later. I regreted to pick it up so late.

Status
Not open for further replies.