RAW processing eats up 100% CPU... how about yours?


Status
Not open for further replies.

ST_sg

New Member
Mar 23, 2004
1,654
0
0
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
#1
Hi all,

I'm using EOSviewer to do Canon RAW processing due to its simplicity and ease of use. However, I realise that, everytime when I save/convert it to jpg file, this process takes up 100% of the CPU resource. Resulting I can't do batch RAW processing at the same time watch DivX movie :devil:

I just upgraded to AMD A64 3000+, 512MB DDR 400, SATA 160GB HDD also can't help. the DivX/Xvid movie just lag at unplayable rate, although I tried adding another piece of 512MB DDR400 ram :what:

Do you think I shouldn't run these 2 tasks at the same time? :think:

Cheers!
:)
 

PornStar

New Member
Mar 22, 2004
213
0
0
40
#2
Based on my experience, I am using both AMD (AXP2000+) and Intel (2.4C) and I find that the Intel copes with the load better than the AMD. And it does not seem to hog as much resources as it does on my AMD i.e. RAM and CPU utilisation is much lower.

I have no idea how 64bit processors would improve the situation as the apps that I run (PS and NC) are not 64bit apps.

But so far, I find Mac (Powerbook G4) still rocks when doing post processing...they seem to have got it right somehow. It's rock stable and smooth.

P.S: This is all based on my experience and not to start a flamewar among the AMD, Intel and Mac fanboys.
 

porn-star

New Member
Dec 13, 2004
95
0
0
44
Easterner
#3
Eh! Its you! haha. I was wondering who else registered with this nick. Sorry ah, not trying to steal your identity! :cool:
 

Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#5
ST_sg said:
everytime when I save/convert it to jpg file, this process takes up 100% of the CPU resource. Resulting I can't do batch RAW processing at the same time watch DivX movie :devil:
Have you tried reducing the priority of the raw converter process?
 

ST_sg

New Member
Mar 23, 2004
1,654
0
0
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
#6
LittleWolf said:
Have you tried reducing the priority of the raw converter process?
both PowerDVD and EOSViewer are left at default "normal" priority heh. However, I just tested with another DivX/Xvid player; BSPlayer... result turns better, but still visible laggy. :(
 

ST_sg

New Member
Mar 23, 2004
1,654
0
0
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
#7
Just installed a newer Radeon 9500Pro graphics card driver, enabled fast write still no improvement on PowerDVD 6.

Wait.. good news here. Once I use the winXP task manager to set EOSViewer to "BelowNormal" priority... PowerDVD playback was smooth :D

But, this have to set prority everytime I launch or relauch EOSViewer. :(
 

Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#8
ST_sg said:
Once I use the winXP task manager to set EOSViewer to "BelowNormal" priority... PowerDVD playback was smooth :D

But, this have to set prority everytime I launch or relauch EOSViewer. :(
I'm not very experienced with Windows, but I would expect there should be a way to set the priority more permanently. Maybe a registry entry?
 

jnet6

Senior Member
Apr 21, 2004
8,179
0
36
not here often anymore
#9
LittleWolf said:
I'm not very experienced with Windows, but I would expect there should be a way to set the priority more permanently. Maybe a registry entry?
Don't ever set.. permanent....
yr OS need to be first then the programs
 

Keltzar

Senior Member
Jul 18, 2002
3,328
1
36
West
Visit site
#10
ST_sg said:
Hi all,

I'm using EOSviewer to do Canon RAW processing due to its simplicity and ease of use. However, I realise that, everytime when I save/convert it to jpg file, this process takes up 100% of the CPU resource. Resulting I can't do batch RAW processing at the same time watch DivX movie :devil:

I just upgraded to AMD A64 3000+, 512MB DDR 400, SATA 160GB HDD also can't help. the DivX/Xvid movie just lag at unplayable rate, although I tried adding another piece of 512MB DDR400 ram :what:

Do you think I shouldn't run these 2 tasks at the same time? :think:

Cheers!
:)
if you are running such heavy applications, I'm not sure 1GB of ram is adeqaute. I use 1GB of ram on my AMD A64 just for photoshop alone...
 

ST_sg

New Member
Mar 23, 2004
1,654
0
0
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
#11
Guys,

I just replicate the same computing process at my office desktop P4 3.0E with HT enabled, 2x512MB DDR400, only PATA and on a fragmented HDD somemore.

wah kao, overall cpu resource taken less than 50% ! and the movie playback from powerDVD zero lag! (never touch on priority things)

I guess for my case, P4 really shin, but when come to gaming, it still lost some framerate to A64. This is the different between A64 and P4 prescott. Sigh... I shouldn't trade my early P4 3E LGA775 to AMD A64 3000+ (754) since I don't play much games nowadays :D
 

Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#13
ST_sg said:
wah kao, overall cpu resource taken less than 50% ! and the movie playback from powerDVD zero lag! (never touch on priority things)
I'd say 100% CPU utilization is a good thing - if you only see 50%, this means that the other 50% of computing power you paid for with your money go unused. I'd rather have 100% and the job done in half the time. ;)
 

ST_sg

New Member
Mar 23, 2004
1,654
0
0
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
#14
LittleWolf said:
I'd say 100% CPU utilization is a good thing - if you only see 50%, this means that the other 50% of computing power you paid for with your money go unused. I'd rather have 100% and the job done in half the time. ;)
hahaha... I didn't benchmark the time for completing a batch of RAW processing with PowerDVD running side by side on these two A64 3000+ & P4 3E. :D

to my impression, if I only use 50% of the computing power can complete the same jobs that other needs 100%. And without any tweaking on telling the OS set for each task prority. so, I still have more rooms to stuff more for other half of 50% CPU resources. It sounds better right? ;)

Hope not fanboy trashing thread to end up heh... just discuss what I experience here with these two tasks running simulteneously. With P4 putting in place just out of curiousity why my A64 laggy in such situation.

Cheers!
 

hwchoy

Senior Member
Jul 16, 2003
1,899
0
0
55
Tampines, Singapore.
www.hexazona.com
#15
P4 HT emulate two processing pipes in the micromachine (essentially this idea, but I do not know the detail implementation as I don't do computer architectures for a long time) so for certain usage (as long as the various CPU stages do not bottleneck) it will work like two machines.

also I don't think Windows is reporting the CPU usage correctly for P4 HT machines. but I don't have a HT machine now so I can verify. But HT machines FEELS more responsive.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom