[RAW] Print effect

loozhengyuan

Jan 16, 2010
I had been using raw to capture things and i edit as accordingly . But when i sent for printing , the RAW-taken pictures looked a little more over-exposed as compared to computer LCD , while the JPEG-taken pictures looked as similar as the computer LCD . Can someone enlighten me ? Thanks .

I had been using raw to capture things and i edit as accordingly . But when i sent for printing , the RAW-taken pictures looked a little more over-exposed as compared to computer LCD , while the JPEG-taken pictures looked as similar as the computer LCD . Can someone enlighten me ? Thanks .

Complex subject. At the outset, is your monitor calibrated? Next, the lab printer color profile may not match your monitor. Depending on the size (and volume) you print, you can try asking them for proof before the final print.

sorry, if you edited the output from raw file, won't the resultant jpg be different

i am confused.

sorry, if you edited the output from raw file, won't the resultant jpg be different

i am confused.

okay now you look .

1. I took the picture in RAW FORMAT .
2. I EDITED the picture and saved it into JPEG FORMAT .
3. I SENT the RAW-saved-JPEG picture for printing .
4. When i compare the RAW-saved-JPEG picture on my computer screen/camera screen and the final printed piece , the printed piece is over-exposed .

Complex subject. At the outset, is your monitor calibrated? Next, the lab printer color profile may not match your monitor. Depending on the size (and volume) you print, you can try asking them for proof before the final print.

I used the usual sRGB , or maybe i dont understand . Well , i printed a 3 Raw-turned-jpeg and the rest are all pure-jpeg . Its not being fussy , but i wanna avoid this because im into shooting RAW nowadays .

okay now you look .

4. When i compare the RAW-saved-JPEG picture on my computer screen/camera screen and the final printed piece , the printed piece is over-exposed .

what lab you print with? usually printing should be darker, not brighter. assuming you calibrate your monitor.

is your computer screen calibrated? don't bother referring to camera screen, buay zhun one.

is ur monitor's brightness max?

Did you use the same program for editing and viewing of your final JPEG (both from the RAW and the straight-out-of-cam JPG)?

Did you check soft-proofing in your editing software?

Are you sure the sRGB used by your camera is the same as the other sRGB you're using to save your files?

okay now you look .

the converted raw to jpeg format and the jpeg captured image has the same brightness when viewed on the monitor but different exposure when printed? wow

I used the usual sRGB , or maybe i dont understand . Well , i printed a 3 Raw-turned-jpeg and the rest are all pure-jpeg . Its not being fussy , but i wanna avoid this because im into shooting RAW nowadays .
dude get your monitor calibrated. maybe to about max 100cd/m brightness.

It can also be the lab's fault if they do not calibrate their machine each morning.

There are plenty of sloppy labs around now a days.

I can never get a match when I reprint my pictures.

Shooting in RAW or JPEG or other format has no implication to getting WYSIWYG print result. The least you can do is to get your monitor calibrated. This will hopefully bring the print result close to what you see on your monitor.

Having said this, the standard monitor even after calibrated may still not be accurate and the print result may still be off. Additionally, your color profile and that lab's printer may not match and the result may still differ. Like I have said, it is a complex subject - color profiling and matching input with output.

You may want to try this (I have not and stand to be corrected): reveiw your image on the lab monitor and if like what you see, ask them to print it as it is.

On a monitor you see a combination of blue, green and red lights (substractive colour).

On print you see a combination of Yellow, Magenta and Cyan pigment/ink/dye (additive colour).

The Yellow, Magenta and Cyan pigment/ink/dye are not 100% pure; as such it's not possible to get a very close match.

dude get your monitor calibrated. maybe to about max 100cd/m brightness.

is there a kind of standard brightness for monitor? if not, even if 2 monitors are calibrated, the image will appear different if they are set to different brightness, am i right?

even though the ultimate proof is the print, web is still the best media to share your pictures, is there a better way to ensure better consistency (i.e. pictures will appear more or less the same for most monitors)?

On a monitor you see a combination of blue, green and red lights (substractive colour).

On print you see a combination of Yellow, Magenta and Cyan pigment/ink/dye (additive colour).

The Yellow, Magenta and Cyan pigment/ink/dye are not 100% pure; as such it's not possible to get a very close match.

correct! :thumbsup:
you should not use RGB if u wan to sent to print. this is the basic rule. depending on size u wanna print. normally we set to 300dpi cmyk for a a3 and above prints. i always sent for print and i used to get scolded.

is there a kind of standard brightness for monitor? if not, even if 2 monitors are calibrated, the image will appear different if they are set to different brightness, am i right?

even though the ultimate proof is the print, web is still the best media to share your pictures, is there a better way to ensure better consistency (i.e. pictures will appear more or less the same for most monitors)?
brightness of monitor is to compensate for the light in the immediate surrounding, or to match the brightness of your print's viewing conditions.
but in this case it's about the printouts being too dark, thus the assumption of an overly-bright monitor causing the user to under-expose the image during editing.

The colour temperature of your room lights can also cause confusion.

if you send to printing house where they use offset machines, yes CMYK is good, but it's the color sep technician's job to do the conversion from RGB, not you. They can pull out a lot more from your RGB image than when you simply convert to a CMYK profile in photoshop.

It happened to me during a digital darkroom lesson. Did you flatten your image file? What kind of printers are u printing on? Or is it those from the photo dev shops?