RAW or JPEG or BOTH

RAWr! :bsmilie:

Except when I shoot in HDR... then I have to go JPEG. lol

Depends...since I am using the humble 500D writing speed and continuous burst rate differs between raw and jpeg.

Static / slow shots such as portraits, landscape etc --> Raw

Fast action sports (need to spam burst fps) --> jpeg (and I choose different resolution depending on situation).

If you are a Mac user, then Raw will be sufficient.

Why is that so? I recently bought a MacBook Pro and would like to know the reason behind this. Currently I shoot mostly Raw + Jpeg but will drop the Jpeg if the reason applies to me.

For those photographers who don't do any post processing, but work out all their calculations and exposures in-camera ~ Jpeg is the way.
For those (like me) who love tinkering with photoshop to drag colours in and out of their work ~ RAW alone.

The only problem with the latter is, that often result in a bad habit of adopting a more lax mentality "Aiyah.. under again! Never mind lah... later I tweak the curve lah...". Ultimately the real basic photography skills get ignored and not practised in the way it should be.

May I know how to batch convert using camera shot setting? I know can set shot setting for Saturation/Contrast/Sharpness/Tone, but NR cannot right?

I use dpp because I find that raw conversion on PS for canon doesn't seem too good.

Just select the raw files you want to convert to jpg and then click batch process button. The nr setting on your camera will be "tagged" to the raw on dpp. So if shot iso was higher, the nr applied will be stronger, if high iso nr was set to strong, the nr will be stronger...

For those photographers who don't do any post processing, but work out all their calculations and exposures in-camera ~ Jpeg is the way.
For those (like me) who love tinkering with photoshop to drag colours in and out of their work ~ RAW alone.

The only problem with the latter is, that often result in a bad habit of adopting a more lax mentality "Aiyah.. under again! Never mind lah... later I tweak the curve lah...". Ultimately the real basic photography skills get ignored and not practised in the way it should be.

That mentality has little to do with whether you use RAW or JPG, actually...

It's just like people talking about film versus digital; there is a mistaken perception that using film makes you cherish each shot more. That's hogwash, I've seen loads of film SLR users machine gunning it and taking horrible pictures at an amazing frame rate. :bsmilie:

Is it because your HDR software doesn't work with Raw?

Not really.

I'm too lazy to do HDR on my pc, so I just use my cam's built-in HDR... and it only works on JPEG. lol. :sweat:

Raw for me. i ve tried going back to Jpg for less important shoots, but it was just so frustrating when something went wrong (exposure/wb) and i couldnt pull it back. now i shoot raw, batch process with nikon view NX, and do serious processing with Capture NX2

I thought batch process RAW in lightroom is easy, you can even "copy n paste" specific settings from one image and apply to many other images.

NewbieInCS said:
Just select the raw files you want to convert to jpg and then click batch process button. The nr setting on your camera will be "tagged" to the raw on dpp. So if shot iso was higher, the nr applied will be stronger, if high iso nr was set to strong, the nr will be stronger...

I go check it out. Thanks.

That mentality has little to do with whether you use RAW or JPG, actually...

It's just like people talking about film versus digital; there is a mistaken perception that using film makes you cherish each shot more. That's hogwash, I've seen loads of film SLR users machine gunning it and taking horrible pictures at an amazing frame rate. :bsmilie:

Well, perhaps that mentality more appropriately describes me.
But recently I am learning to discipline myself more. And although I am still shooting RAW, I have started to view and review my exposures more stringently.

Well, perhaps that mentality more appropriately describes me.
But recently I am learning to discipline myself more. And although I am still shooting RAW, I have started to view and review my exposures more stringently.

I think it will also depend on the situation. If you are shooting a fast paced event (or even a package tour, events packed like sardines), you may or may not have the luxury to finetune every setting during the shoot. esp shooting on Jpeg, WB may become an issue. *I tend to be abit lazy on changing the WB settings.*

Why is that so? I recently bought a MacBook Pro and would like to know the reason behind this. Currently I shoot mostly Raw + Jpeg but will drop the Jpeg if the reason applies to me.

As far as I know, Mac OS allows user to view RAW files thumbnails but only from a list of supported raw formats from different camera models. Over time and with newer cameras being released, this list needs to be maintained (via software updates) else it will be out-dated. I'm not a Mac user and appreciate if some one can verify what I said is true.

As far as I know, Mac OS allows user to view RAW files thumbnails but only from a list of supported raw formats from different camera models. Over time and with newer cameras being released, this list needs to be maintained (via software updates) else it will be out-dated. I'm not a Mac user and appreciate if some one can verify what I said is true.

iphoto can open raw files and actually edit them somewhat. but the output isnt on par with even viewnx 2.

my work flow involves nikon view NX2 and capture nx2. when i get back, i dump all my pics into a folder, and browse with view NX2, and label the ones that i want with a '1' label. then i turn on the filter to '0'(unmarked) and delete all those i din mark. which leaves me with just afew (20-30) pictures. i ll use view NX2 for the simple conversions, and capture NX2 for the tougher ones. i ve found this v v fast and easy. just as fast as lightroom in terms of sorting which to keep and throw.

Also need to upgrade hard disk storage... always worry it will run out of space when raw form..

Also need to upgrade hard disk storage... always worry it will run out of space when raw form..

i shoot raw only but only use less than 15gig a year to store my raws and converted jpgs and its not cos i don't take pictures (my cam is with me everywhere i go, no joke). be more stringent with what you take and keep and delete any picture which you think is even a little bit substandard. no point filling up yr hhd with pics you will never ever use.