Raw+jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

meowcat

May 17, 2009
Hi everyone. thanks so much for answering my previous questions. I have been reading a lot of guides and stickies since I came here, but somehow I think got one question they never really answer about RAW+JPG.

In so far that I have read, it appears to me that WB and metering are in-camera-processings, including auto-image sharpening. While I know that this sharpening is lost in the RAW format, is it also the case for metering and WB?

In other words, if I were to shoot in RAW+JPG format, it doesn't matter what WB or metering settings I use, it won't affect the RAW, only the JPG?

raw captures a lot more information than jpg, since jpg is lossy. how much more, a look at the file size will tell you the whole story.

and raw allows you to adjust stuff like wb, it also allows you to recover SOME highlight details if they are blown, and SOME shadow details. i estimate about 1 stop gain in dynamic range possibilities. but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't get the exposure right on the nail, there is always a best exposure for what you want to show.

raw is uncooked meat, jpg is cooked somewhat, you can cook the raw further with your raw converter, but jpg is already set, not so malleable.

so its true that whatever i change to WB does not affect the RAW at all? and what I am previewing on the LCD screen is the post-cooked JPG?

What about metering?

it does affect how your processing programme initially reads the RAW file, since most take the "As Shot" WB as the default WB.. of cos you can choose to tweak it, so what you're viewing on your cam's LCD is the Jpg file..

..... it doesn't matter what WB or metering settings I use, it won't affect the RAW, only the JPG?

so its true that whatever i change to WB does not affect the RAW at all? and what I am previewing on the LCD screen is the post-cooked JPG?....

Yes.

What about metering?

Metering maybe fooled by bright or dark object. In such situation, for JPEG shots, one would adjust the metering to compensate on site.

For RAW files, one has the luxury to make these adjustments during post procesing as RAW file processing typically permited EV +/-2 or more allowances.

On 5D MK-II, LCD preview with only raw saved setting will show the WB according to what you set on the camera and not as jpg.

When view on DPP, the WB is again retained by the image according to WB set for that pic. But I am not sure if it is due to setting recorded in the file and DPP translated it or pre-processed in the raw as response is very fast both on PC and LCD.

Metering and iso will affect all images at it affects aperture, shutter and sensor boost when saving.

so its true that whatever i change to WB does not affect the RAW at all? and what I am previewing on the LCD screen is the post-cooked JPG?

What about metering?

On 5D MK-II, LCD preview with only raw saved setting will show the WB according to what you set on the camera and not as jpg.

That's because of an embedded JPEG thumbnail image.

What about metering?

In which way do you think the file format has any backwards effect on the metering (which is done before the image is recorded)?

What about metering?

Yes.

Metering maybe fooled by bright or dark object. In such situation, for JPEG shots, one would adjust the metering to compensate on site.

For RAW files, one has the luxury to make these adjustments during post procesing as RAW file processing typically permited EV +/-2 or more allowances.

I am quite sure that you still need to meter the photo properly before you capture it.
From your reply, you seem to suggest that the metering is not important when capturing in RAW.
Maybe RAW allows more tolerance to 'rescue' the shot later in PP (as a number of people have mentioned), but still cannot "heck-care" the metering during photgraphing.

Am I right to say this?

ok so i'll just sum up that there are only a few things that the camera does automatically when you take a photo (and then convert into jpeg) These things (at whatever setting you use) will not affect the RAW, and can be tweaked PP.

Namely these things/effects are :
Image sharpening
White Balance

So like, if you know you will always capture in RAW and do postprocessing, WB on your camera isn't really that important

Anything else, including simple things like exposure, and also metering, and of course basic focus will still be captured in the RAW file. Thus it is still our duty to make sure we get these basics right and not depend on PP

Hope I interprete your replies correctly!

ok so i'll just sum up that there are only a few things that the camera does automatically when you take a photo (and then convert into jpeg) These things (at whatever setting you use) will not affect the RAW, and can be tweaked PP.

Namely these things/effects are :
Image sharpening
White Balance

So like, if you know you will always capture in RAW and do postprocessing, WB on your camera isn't really that important

Anything else, including simple things like exposure, and also metering, and of course basic focus will still be captured in the RAW file. Thus it is still our duty to make sure we get these basics right and not depend on PP

Hope I interprete your replies correctly!

Yes I believe you are right. This is what I think too.
Just wanted to mention that metering and exposure go hand-in-hand. Metering is the process of measuring the light that would fall on the sensor, in order to get a correct exposure. The RAW file does not capture the metering, but the exif data probably states the exposure compensation value, if you have set it to be so.

RAW is a file containing the image as captured by the sensor based on the settings the camera was operated on. If you miss the focus the image is blur. If you overexpose the image is white, if you underexpose the image is dark. Camera shake / handshake will make your image blur.
RAW gives you all opportunities to do post-processing. As the name says: it happens after the image was taken. Whatever you can do in post-processing depends on your tools, Photoshop offers more than Canon's DPP. WB and sharpening only being two little items, there are many more. Check with your library, there are plenty of books about digital photography which always includes post-processing.

any recommended software to proces raw images from alpha 200? the seller didn't have the full box, said he lost it.

any recommended software to proces raw images from alpha 200? the seller didn't have the full box, said he lost it.

I suppose you mean the software/CD that comes packaged with the set?

You can always download it. Link below ;)

Its under "Sony Image Suite Update"

http://www.sony.com.sg/support/download/product/dslr-a200k/modelfirst

I'm an A200 user but i use lightroom instead.

Last edited:
Why use A200. Canon is the way

Hihi, you have the camera, right? Why don't u go out and try to overexpose/underexpose in ur shot. And download both the raw+jpeg to pc. Then you can share with us ur experience. :thumbsup:?

Status
Not open for further replies.