Raw+Jpeg Setting

intrance

Jul 13, 2005
Woodlands
guys..

Ive been always taking jpeg since i got my dlsr. After a few hands-on with raw photos, I want to take raw from now onwords..

Can anyone enlighten me what are the advantages, taking photos with Raw+Jpeg over Raw setting? Other than wasting space in our memory card..

TIA

As u most likely already know, RAW files give u the ability to tweak almost everthing regarding exposure and color. And also allows u to manually adjust NR. All in post processing. And also, it's time consuming.

Ok why i shoot in RAW + JPEG is to send my friends or colleagues the JPEG file first (if they're in a rush for the photos), and then take my time to edit the RAW files. Other usages of RAW +JPEG are e.g. For events when people want the images on the spot printed out. Printers can't read RAW files, so hence the reason to use RAW + JPEG.

For me, there's not much advantage. I guess shooting in RAW+Jpeg allows me to see the differences between photo straight from the camera sensor and photo processed by the camera.

i noticed the raw file from my a550 is slightly underexposed compare to JPEG output. anyone face such issue ?

For me it depends on what you want out of the photos you have taken. Usually for landscape, Macro, potrait and weddings will have it on Jpeg+Raw. Where post processing can be done more to achieve the final picture quality you want.

However, if shooting fast action events such as sports that keep taking pictures on high burst mode will more likely use only JPEG to reduce waiting time between each firing of the shutter. With JPEG can have more pictures squeeze into one memory card.

Brgds ;)

i noticed the raw file from my a550 is slightly underexposed compare to JPEG output. anyone face such issue ?

You may have made some in-camera setting that affect the Jpeg files e.g. contrast, saturation etc.

i shoot on standard most of the time contrast saturation all 0 .. and ev 0

many thanks guys for sharing ur workflow..

i only have one 8gb memory card.. think i will go RAW route..
in the end of my photo session, more than 90% of the photos taken will be sure to be deleted even before tweaking.. haha

There is a significant advantage if you are using third party software such as lightroom 3 etc.
The DRO effects will be removed from the RAW files if read by these programs except PMB by Sony. So if you need the picture direct output from camera, JPEG will save you time in tweaking the RAW file back to what you got.

And if you are super confident on what u want is what is shot, JPEG is the way to go to save memory space.